+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

ClosetRTWatcher - Good luck getting your rescue dog. We had a Boston Terrier for 11 years and he was an awesome dog. I came really close recently to adopting an adult Boston Terrier that I saw advertised on Facebook. I contacted the owner and asked her why she was getting rid of her. She replied that they had 3 other dogs and that she just didn't have the time to take care of so many animals. She assured me that the dog was wonderful, potty trained, great with kids, not hyper or one that barks all the time, an all around great dog. We came very close to taking her, but decided that with our work schedules, we didn't have the time to devote to a dog. So, about a month later I notice this same woman has posted on the same Facebook site that she is looking for a Pug puppy! I managed to restrain myself and didn't contact her to ask how she could have the time to take care of a puppy when she didn't have time to take care of this perfectly behaved Boston Terrier!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Oh you are having fun. Enjoy!
    How could you choose just one?...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    just1paul likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Good Luck, ClosetRTWatcher! My neighbor has 2 purebreds but they are English bulldogs and not French. The French breed is smaller, right? She got the second one at Christmas and she has been a handful, actually a nightmare. The first one she also got as a puppy and is a delight. I don't know much about either breed but I wish you the best of luck. I love that you are adopting a rescue. We've got a collie mix that we rescued at the age of 8 months. I was glad she was housebroken and I didn't have to start with that.

Update on my rescue situation:
    I AM GOING CRAZY!! I submitted this application last Thursday and I haven't heard anything yet! At this point I would be happy to just have an idea where I am in their queue and if anyone expressed interest in this pup before us! The application confirmation basically said that they are an all volunteer organization and it may take a few days to hear back, but that I should rest assured that I will hear from them as soon as possible. I am trying so hard to be patient!! At what point is it acceptable for me to send a follow-up e-mail asking them for more info? I found the org on Facebook after I submitted the application and it is especially frustrating seeing updates posted there when I haven't gotten a call yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Good luck! Do you get to meet the dog before you make the final decision? Do they tell you why the previous owners got rid of it?
    We will INSIST upon meeting this dog before we make a final decision. I couldn't go blindly into a commitment like pet ownership! The posting does not say why he was surrendered, so that is something we will need to find out about.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    ClosetRTWatcher - Good luck getting your rescue dog. We had a Boston Terrier for 11 years and he was an awesome dog. I came really close recently to adopting an adult Boston Terrier that I saw advertised on Facebook. I contacted the owner and asked her why she was getting rid of her. ....about a month later I notice this same woman has posted on the same Facebook site that she is looking for a Pug puppy! I managed to restrain myself and didn't contact her to ask how she could have the time to take care of a puppy when she didn't have time to take care of this perfectly behaved Boston Terrier!
    It is SO frustrating when people don't take the commitment of pet ownership seriously!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Good Luck, ClosetRTWatcher! My neighbor has 2 purebreds but they are English bulldogs and not French. The French breed is smaller, right? She got the second one at Christmas and she has been a handful, actually a nightmare. The first one she also got as a puppy and is a delight. I don't know much about either breed but I wish you the best of luck. I love that you are adopting a rescue. We've got a collie mix that we rescued at the age of 8 months. I was glad she was housebroken and I didn't have to start with that.
    Yes, French Bulldogs are smaller than English. The rescue we are looking at is about 25 lbs. This is our first time trying rescue, so hopefully it will work out well!

I made my annual pilgrimage to the local dog show this past weekend, and got a lot of face time with 3 Newfs. When I got home, Josey gave me a thorough sniffing, and then absolutely snubbed me for a couple of hours. I'd walk up to her, she'd turn her head away. I'd reach out to pet her, she'd walk off. Poor baby.
    just1paul likes this.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I found out some good news and some bad news about the rescue pup today....

Bad news (for me): I'm SIXTH in the application line, so it seems quite unlikely that we will get him.

Good news (for the pup): Lots of people are interested in him, so it is likely he will have a new forever home soon.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 04-08-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I found out some good news and some bad news about the rescue pup today....

Bad news (for me): I'm SIXTH in the application line, so it seems quite unlikely that we will get him.

Good news (for the pup): Lots of people are interested in him, so it is likely he will have a new forever home soon.
    I know about rescues if you want my 2 cents. Buddy was our first "official" rescue - we got Rocky from my dad who found him after someone dumped him - after Rocky died and we applied for a Boxer Rescue. Yes, they are volunteers and they have to read the applications, then set up home visits, pick up dogs from shelters, pick them up from horrible owners/conditions, take them to vets, get them neutered, spayed, get them medical care if injured, take them to adoption days, foster them, get fosters to apply, do home visits with those, evaluate dogs for temperment with other dogs, cats, children, raise money, keep up website, etc! all with only volunteers. We submitted the appand had so many in mind that we wanted to meet. Most were quickly unavailable. So many see them but there are so many available too! Just because you didn't get the one you "wanted", doesn't mean you won't find the perfect dog or the perfect dog won't PICK YOU!

Do they have Adoption Days where you can meet a bunch of the dogs? Offer to volunteer or pick up some from the appts. Or to meet with the foster parents of the dogs at another location. I sent emails (I thought maybe I was pushy but we wanted a dog!) so we got someone to answer us pretty fast. When we went to adoption day, we fell in love with Buddy. He was ours from first sight. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!
    echo226 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    I know about rescues if you want my 2 cents. Buddy was our first "official" rescue - we got Rocky from my dad who found him after someone dumped him - after Rocky died and we applied for a Boxer Rescue. Yes, they are volunteers and they have to read the applications, then set up home visits, pick up dogs from shelters, pick them up from horrible owners/conditions, take them to vets, get them neutered, spayed, get them medical care if injured, take them to adoption days, foster them, get fosters to apply, do home visits with those, evaluate dogs for temperment with other dogs, cats, children, raise money, keep up website, etc! all with only volunteers. We submitted the appand had so many in mind that we wanted to meet. Most were quickly unavailable. So many see them but there are so many available too! Just because you didn't get the one you "wanted", doesn't mean you won't find the perfect dog or the perfect dog won't PICK YOU!

Do they have Adoption Days where you can meet a bunch of the dogs? Offer to volunteer or pick up some from the appts. Or to meet with the foster parents of the dogs at another location. I sent emails (I thought maybe I was pushy but we wanted a dog!) so we got someone to answer us pretty fast. When we went to adoption day, we fell in love with Buddy. He was ours from first sight. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!
    That is such a nice, encouraging post!

It reminded me of when my lab/mix died and I told my vet that not letting our pets live longer was the only mistake God made. He said God doesn't make mistakes. There are so many pets out there needing love that God designed it that way!
    PGM35 and inthegarden like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

The pup we were looking at did end up going to someone further up the list. We are still keeping an eye on the available pups out there. We just need to be patient until the right one comes along.

+ Reply to Thread