+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1141Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

FORT Fogey

Re: For animal lovers

The Further Adventures of Diabetic Dog:

So, I'm gone from roughly 8:45 this morning until noon. Somehow, while I was gone, my twelve year old diabetic dog--the same one who pulled all the baking supplies out of a cupboard about two-three weeks ago--pulled a heavy backpack off the kitchen desk chair, pushed said chair over to the kitchen counter, climbed up on the chair, and reached way to the back of the counter and pulled down a bag of Newton Thins and ate most of them--plus a few Meyer Lemon thins. Fortunately, there was very little sugar in either type of cookie no and high fructose corn syrup. Unfortunately, the Newton Thins are high fiber.

The vet made him throw up, but not much came up, which likely means he ate them closer to nine than noon (apparently he couldn't wait until I left to get busy; he's tried unsuccessfully to snatch those cookies out of my hand last night, which he typically does not do but was unsuccessful). The vet does not think it's really had a serious effect on his diabetes either, but they elected to keep him for a couple of hours, just to be on the safe side. Really, I wouldn't mind so much if they'd keep him until the fiber runs its course (pardon the pun), but I suspect they'll be asking me to come get him before then if I don't show up.

The kitchen desk chair is now in the basement. Let him try to drag it up from there. From now on, I guess cookies will have to be put in tins--and maybe placed on top of the refrigerator, just to be on the safe side.
    inthegarden likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Tilden, I just can't believe it. The cookies were on the counter, towards the back? They weren't in the cupboard, were they? I was trying to figure out how he could open up a kitchen cupboard but then I reread your post. In any case, your dog is brilliant and tenacious, that's for sure.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Tilden, I just can't believe it. The cookies were on the counter, towards the back? They weren't in the cupboard, were they? I was trying to figure out how he could open up a kitchen cupboard but then I reread your post. In any case, your dog is brilliant and tenacious, that's for sure.
    Oh, he can open kitchen cupboards too. But yes, the cookies were on the counter, because I have a shoulder problem (partial replacement last May; still in PT), so it's easier for me if I don't put everything in cupboards. They were, however, far back on the counter, on top of the bread box, actually, and the kitchen cupboards are too high for him to reach. It just didn't dawn on me that he'd push a chair over to the kitchen counter. I mean, that chair's been there for three or four years, and he's never done that before. And to think I'd been worrying lately that he appeared to have slowed down some. I guess he uses up all his energy when I'm not around to see it.

BTW, when I called the vet to report what he'd down, the vet tech who answered the phone burst out laughing and then apologized, saying, "It's just that it's your dog." His reputation precedes him.
    Brooks and inthegarden like this.

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Our neighbors finally caught their Mule. He has been running through everyone's fields and yards, hiding behind barns and out buildings for the past two days. It was funny, although not for them, you never knew where he was going to be next. SURPRISE! Luckly we are fenced and he couldn't get in our pastures, but my dogs have gone crazy barking whenever he got close. I think my dogs are kind of sad the "fun" has been corraled.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Oh, he can open kitchen cupboards too. But yes, the cookies were on the counter, because I have a shoulder problem (partial replacement last May; still in PT), so it's easier for me if I don't put everything in cupboards. They were, however, far back on the counter, on top of the bread box, actually, and the kitchen cupboards are too high for him to reach. It just didn't dawn on me that he'd push a chair over to the kitchen counter. I mean, that chair's been there for three or four years, and he's never done that before. And to think I'd been worrying lately that he appeared to have slowed down some. I guess he uses up all his energy when I'm not around to see it.

BTW, when I called the vet to report what he'd down, the vet tech who answered the phone burst out laughing and then apologized, saying, "It's just that it's your dog." His reputation precedes him.
    Reminds me of the time Buddy got up on the counter (used his hind legs only), to reach a carton of leftover cupcakes I was saving. He ate 3 cupcakes, wrappers and all. That taught me never to leave anything out on the counters b/c back then, they have the tenacity to get what they wanted. I would have loved to watch him work out how to get the chair over to the counter.

We laughed remembering how he once dragged a blanket (huge crocheted one I made him which I last took him the vet in)
    from the living room to the front room past both of us in the kitchen while we worked on the refrigerator door. It was comical, cause all we saw was the last part of the blanket going by very slowly. Good times and great memories of the old guy.
    just1paul and inthegarden like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    Reminds me of the time Buddy got up on the counter (used his hind legs only), to reach a carton of leftover cupcakes I was saving. He ate 3 cupcakes, wrappers and all. That taught me never to leave anything out on the counters b/c back then, they have the tenacity to get what they wanted. I would have loved to watch him work out how to get the chair over to the counter.

We laughed remembering how he once dragged a blanket (huge crocheted one I made him which I last took him the vet in)
    from the living room to the front room past both of us in the kitchen while we worked on the refrigerator door. It was comical, cause all we saw was the last part of the blanket going by very slowly. Good times and great memories of the old guy.
    Thanks for these wonderful stories. The visual is hysterical about the blanket
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey

Update on diabetic dog: Turns out the charcoal they routinely give dogs to counteract chocolate in their systems quickly elevated his sodium level (this almost never happens). Fortunately, they figured out what was going on in time. Unfortunately, that meant he had to have a warm water enema to eliminate the rest of the charcoal, on top of the fact that the cookies he ate had eight grams of fiber per serving, and he ate almost the entire box, and he weighs all of sixteen pounds. Between the vomiting and the diarrhea, he couldn't really keep anything down, so they had to keep him for four days and three nights and monitor him closely the whole time, as they needed to bring down his sodium level very slowly to be safe and they wanted to keep checking his blood sugar regularly as well. Five hundred and twenty-five dollars later, he's home and apparently fine, though all chocolate is now either in the freezer or in a lidded aluminum tin in the highest cupboard in the kitchen, and the chair he used to get to the counter is now in the basement. I also block him out of the kitchen area that has food--it's an L-shaped kitchen and his food and water are in the shorter, lower part of the L, where the cupboards he can reach don't hold anything interesting to him--when I'm out of the house, though I rushed home from work this morning, because I was afraid I'd left a salt-free seasoning mix I meant to bring to work for someone else out where he could get it. I had, too, but he was just peacefully sleeping in his favorite chair when I got home and the seasoning mix was untouched. I guess either he never noticed it or he didn't find a bunch of herbs all that interesting (and, fortunately, even if he had been interested in them, they didn't include anything that would have been dangerous).

Oh, and one of the first things he did once he got home was steal an ice cream bar wrapper from the trash. Not that there was anything left in it or on it, but I guess it smelled like chocolate. Apparently, he's learned nothing.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Poor little guy. What an ordeal! I'm glad they were able to get his sodium levels down safely, Tilden. You've got your hands full with your mischievous pooch. Hope he behaves himself for awhile.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Poor little guy. What an ordeal! I'm glad they were able to get his sodium levels down safely, Tilden. You've got your hands full with your mischievous pooch. Hope he behaves himself for awhile.
    It's not that I wasn't terribly worried that I could lose him, and it's not that I didn't feel sorry for him when I finally got him home, but lets remember one thing about the "poor little guy's" illness: it was entirely self-inflicted, and in order to inflict it on himself, he had to work very, very hard at being unduly naughty. It's not like the cookies just floated down off the counter and down his throat when he wasn't looking.
    Hyper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Apparently, he's learned nothing.
    They're not really good with cause and effect, are they? I'm glad he's home and doing better in spite of himself!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread