+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1139Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Thanks everyone - it was really tough. Mike didn't find out til he got off work today so I had to replay it all over again this evening. We reminisced and stuff and it was therapeutic. Its going to be hard again when we get his ashes back Friday or Monday. We'll get an urn and a remembrance with his paw print and photo. Nice of them to do that for us.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Saw on Judge Judy today where a cat owner was held responsible for $4000 because the Judge deemed that the cat was responsible for destroying a small dog's eye, to the point where it had to be removed. The cat was an indoor/outdoor cat, and was recognized by the dog's owner as being a neighborhood pet. The cat went on the attack while the dog owner had the dog out on his leash, so he was legal. The cat owner was as much in denial and made as many excuses as pit bull owners usually seem to be when their dogs are accused to attacking people or other animals. The judge said the cat needed to be kept indoors at all times instead of being let out to use the world as its latrine. Most interesting. I've had cranky cats before, but I've never seen one like that. If I let any of my cats out, I always had a leash on them, or went out with them. I wasn't willing to take the chance of them sprinting off somewhere, and it worked pretty well.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Saw on Judge Judy today where a cat owner was held responsible for $4000 because the Judge deemed that the cat was responsible for destroying a small dog's eye, to the point where it had to be removed. The cat was an indoor/outdoor cat, and was recognized by the dog's owner as being a neighborhood pet. The cat went on the attack while the dog owner had the dog out on his leash, so he was legal. The cat owner was as much in denial and made as many excuses as pit bull owners usually seem to be when their dogs are accused to attacking people or other animals. The judge said the cat needed to be kept indoors at all times instead of being let out to use the world as its latrine. Most interesting. I've had cranky cats before, but I've never seen one like that. If I let any of my cats out, I always had a leash on them, or went out with them. I wasn't willing to take the chance of them sprinting off somewhere, and it worked pretty well.
    I saw that one also and kept muttering under my breath that the guy was a well it's in the rear. I don't beleive in cats being loose outside and they must be supervised.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I never let my cats go outside. Too many wild cats and busy roads in my neighborhood. Plus, I just think they belong indoors...as do dogs. You wouldn't just let your kids roam free why let the pets?
    just1paul likes this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    I never let my cats go outside. Too many wild cats and busy roads in my neighborhood. Plus, I just think they belong indoors...as do dogs. You wouldn't just let your kids roam free why let the pets?
    I fully agree with you. I know others feel differently though. My Mom would walk Max around the yard on a leash, but the first noise from a truck and he would pull her to the door. Plus the yard is fenced in.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

PGM35, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Buddy. It's so hard to let go but now he's romping joyfully at the Rainbow Bridge. Big hugs to you.

PGM - I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave Buddy a great life and he knew that

ITA about indoor cats. There are SO many more diseases and dangers that outdoor cats are susceptible to. Every time I see a cat that's been hit by a car and killed, I pretty much bawl all the way home. It just reinforces the fact that my babies will never go outside.

I have a family member whose cat - a gorgeous cream colored boy with pale orange points - got skin cancer on his head and went through just the most gruesome ordeal before they finally let him go and had him put down. Just further proof that outside living isn't healthy for cats.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

PGM, :bighugs I'm so sorry about Buddy. He was a handsome pup and, as hard of a decision as it might have been, you did the best thing for him.

Count me in as another inside cat person. Of all the cats I've had in my life, only one ever wanted to go outside. He had a leash and a harness and would prance along side the flower beds. Heck, my eldest runs from an open door!

PGM, so sorry about Buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Count me in as another inside cat person. Of all the cats I've had in my life, only one ever wanted to go outside. He had a leash and a harness and would prance along side the flower beds. Heck, my eldest runs from an open door!
    My cat was afraid of outside, too. When my daughter was six, she took him out to the front porch when I wasn't looking. I looked out the window and he was faceplanted on the window, paws up like "let me in!" My other kitty never had the chance, he would sit by the door but never go out.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

PGM, my condolences too. You gave Buddy a wonderful life. It's so hard to let go, but it's an act of love. He's still with you.

I'll add my name to the list of folks who aren't comfortable letting cats run loose, and I generally don't appreciate other people's cats in my yard (it can very upsetting, even traumatic, to the indoor cats).

My prior cats were ok being inside. The present two had several months as kittens with free access to a large backyard enclosure before they came to me. They knew the difference and get bored inside. So on weekends it's quality time with mom. They're each walked individually for up to an hour on a leash/harness, which can really eat up the day. ;^) They give me time off when it's bad weather or really cold, and so far they really want to come inside after they've explored for a while. Inside is what's safe to them, and I heartily agree.

+ Reply to Thread