+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1387Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

GO Cooper GO!
    inthegarden likes this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey

I was gone for exactly ninety minutes all day, during which time, my twelve year old diabetic dog decided to open a cupboard he's never bothered with before and pull out the pastry flour, the whole wheat flour, the extra bag of white flour, and the brown sugar (which he had to open a special plastic container to get at), bite holes in all of the bags and tip their contents around the kitchen, except for the brown sugar, which he carried into the living room, as it was a particular bounty. Once in the living room, he apparently ground a good bit of it into the carpeting. I called the emergency vet who told me to go ahead and give him his evening meal and insulin and then watch him for an hour to see if any troubling symptoms appeared. Well, aside from acting a shade more energetic than normal and burping rather loudly once, he seemed fine, once he was convinced he had wormed his way back into my good graces by snuggling up next to me and repeatedly sneaking licks in at my face. He also snuffled the carpeting where I had vacuumed up the brown sugar, flipped over on his back, and had a happy dog roll about in that spot. At this point, I'm assuming he didn't ingest enough sugar to do himself any actual damage, but I don't think he needs to rub it into his fur either.

So now all the sugar-related baking goods are on a high shelf above the counter and the mixing bowls are in the lower cupboard where the sugars have always been. I'll get the flours (or what's left of them) up there tomorrow, once I have time to rearrange the rest of the dishes.
    just1paul likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Cooper cat loves the smell of Peppermint. Knowing this, I stupidly blew in his face while I was eating a piece of Peppermint.
    He went nuts and gave me a nibble on the chin, patted at my face and hand with his paw. He does that to ask for a taste. When I wouldn't give him a taste, he sat and twisted his head this way and that, opened and closed his mouth and stuck his tongue out and curled it under. Funny cat. I found out about his peppermint crave, when I had to use Bengay on my knee last summer. The Bengay is odorless, but has a slight odor when you first rub it on. It drove both of us nuts. This Christmas I had a arrangement that had Peppermint striped candles, I didn't realize that the candles smelled of peppermint until I walked in to find him snacking on one of the candles.
    I know not to ever give him Catnip. The first and last time he had it, he when crazy, running, jumping, howling. I kept it in the pantry for my other cats and they were okay with it. Not him, when I put the bag back up, he found it in the pantry, climbed the shelves, knocking stuff everywhere, pulled the bag in the floor and ripped it opened. I had to take it outside to keep him from tearing the house down to get to it. My little addict.
    Aren't peppermint and catnip both members of the same herb family? That might account for his interest.

I've had dogs who've liked peppermint but not to that extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I called the emergency vet who told me to go ahead and give him his evening meal and insulin and then watch him for an hour to see if any troubling symptoms appeared. Well, aside from acting a shade more energetic than normal and burping rather loudly once, he seemed fine
    HA! Kudus to the 12 year old dog being up to all that! LOL

It's easy to check a cat or dog's blood sugar, and super important in a situation like this. You can use the same blood glucose monitor a human would use, and they're very cheap at the drugs stores. It's the test strips that can mount up the cost. Like humans, much better to follow blood glucose levels yourself rather than give a set amount each day or at each meal. The values taken at the vets often aren't very accurate, especially if the animal is feeling stressed from going to the vets.

I liked the burp part!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    I liked the burp part!
    Well, then you'll appreciate that he actually ended up burping twice. He also snores if he doesn't sleep with his head elevated, which works out nicely, since he likes pillows (actually, I'm sure he doesn't care that he snores, but I'd rather not listen to it, so giving him a pillow is just easier).

As for his age, since he was diagnosed as diabetic a year ago, and his diet started being strictly controlled, he's taught himself to open cupboards, my purse, my briefcase, and the refrigerator, which now has a toddler lock. Prior to the lock, he would open it while I was gone and feast, but selectively. Things like fresh mushrooms would be tossed to the floor. But the block of extra sharp aged Welsh cheddar cheese? Yum. Elk stroganoff? Yes, please. The bagel sandwich I was saving to eat after choir practice, because I didn't have time to eat prior to rehearsal? Burp. By the time I got home, all that was left of said sandwich was about a quarter-sized piece of bagel and three slices of cucumber, which he apparently didn't find appealing. And yet in spite of all that, his insulin intake has actually gone done to the lowest level for a dog his size, and he's never suffered any ill consequences from any of it.

By the way, he weighs about sixteen pounds. This is not some huge dog who can easily reach things. He has to work at it. But I suspected such abilities from the beginning. I brought him home at six months, and at that age, I caught him stacking pillows in a chair and climbing said stack in an attempt to reach a candy dish on top of the entertainment center. I knew he wasn't going to be able to get high enough to reach the dish that way, but it did indicate a certain cleverness and determination that does not always bode well for obedience. Meant he was quick to learn--which he is--but that what he learns isn't always limited to just what he's taught nor is it always something you'd prefer he learn.
    shyra and just1paul like this.

Well, then you'll appreciate that he actually ended up burping twice. He also snores if he doesn't sleep with his head elevated, which works out nicely, since he likes pillows (actually, I'm sure he doesn't care that he snores, but I'd rather not listen to it, so giving him a pillow is just easier).

As for his age, since he was diagnosed as diabetic a year ago, and his diet started being strictly controlled, he's taught himself to open cupboards, my purse, my briefcase, and the refrigerator, which now has a toddler lock. Prior to the lock, he would open it while I was gone and feast, but selectively. Things like fresh mushrooms would be tossed to the floor. But the block of extra sharp aged Welsh cheddar cheese? Yum. Elk stroganoff? Yes, please. The bagel sandwich I was saving to eat after choir practice, because I didn't have time to eat prior to rehearsal? Burp. By the time I got home, all that was left of said sandwich was about a quarter-sized piece of bagel and three slices of cucumber, which he apparently didn't find appealing. And yet in spite of all that, his insulin intake has actually gone done to the lowest level for a dog his size, and he's never suffered any ill consequences from any of it.

By the way, he weighs about sixteen pounds. This is not some huge dog who can easily reach things. He has to work at it. But I suspected such abilities from the beginning. I brought him home at six months, and at that age, I caught him stacking pillows in a chair and climbing said stack in an attempt to reach a candy dish on top of the entertainment center. I knew he wasn't going to be able to get high enough to reach the dish that way, but it did indicate a certain cleverness and determination that does not always bode well for obedience. Meant he was quick to learn--which he is--but that what he learns isn't always limited to just what he's taught nor is it always something you'd prefer he learn.
    And these are what some humans call "dumb animals." I don't think so. Thank YOU for sharing this story which made me laugh out loud! Happy WOOF Year!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

He also snores if he doesn't sleep with his head elevated, which works out nicely, since he likes pillows (actually, I'm sure he doesn't care that he snores, but I'd rather not listen to it, so giving him a pillow is just easier).
    To me, there is no sweeter sound than the gentle snoring of my dog.
    candor and just1paul like this.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    To me, there is no sweeter sound than the gentle snoring of my dog.
    If he did it gently, I wouldn't mind. But gentle is the last word I'd use to describe it--and I've had him checked. It isn't a physical issue. Just like some humans, he's simply a really loud snorer.
    just1paul likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    And these are what some humans call "dumb animals." I don't think so. Thank YOU for sharing this story which made me laugh out loud! Happy WOOF Year!
    You'll likely enjoy this then too: an artist friend is doing a "work in progress" demonstration this Friday night at a local gallery. She's working on a drawing of him from a photograph at the moment, and that's what she wants to do at the gallery, thinking it might get other pet owners interested in asking her to draw their animals (I pointed out to her that this might be a market for her, and since she has dogs of her own, she's got a good feeling for animals and is interested in drawing them). Anyway, I joked that he could make a guest appearance, and she's all for it. Now I have to decide if he ought to do so, given his recent behavior. If there's any kind of appetizer tray anywhere in the place, his first thought will be how to get at it or better yet, convince a human who doesn't know any better to help him out. Not that he won't be on a leash, but that's not stopped him from convincing strangers to give into him before.
    just1paul likes this.

+ Reply to Thread