+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Oh, PhoneGrrrl - I'm so sorry for your loss and your troubled times in general. I hope 2013 brings a return to normalcy and happiness with fond memories of Belle.
    Count your blessings!

PhoneGrrrl - I'm so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Oh PhoneGrrrl, I'm so sorry for your loss of Belle (I love the name Belle) and the fact that you are going through a difficult time.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Thanks everyone. Y'all are such a kind bunch. What bugs me now is the other cats looking for her in her favorite room. I've been distracting myself with Netflix and RHOM.

inthegarden, Belle was a great name for my kit because she was the queen of the roost and had impeccable manners, but the funny thing is of my 5 furry kids (including Belle) I chose exactly zero of their names. To end on an up note, my dog came with the name Brody (if I were to name him, it'd be Beggar, as he CONSTANTLY wants treats). A few months after he came to live with me, I was catching up on the first season of "Homeland". He went nuts for a while at hearing his name shouted out of the TV (if you don't watch the show, one of the main character's name is Brody) but soon learned to ignore it. And now he ignores me when I call his name. Lesson learned: cancel Showtime.

Thanks again to all of you.
    inthegarden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Thanks everyone. Y'all are such a kind bunch. What bugs me now is the other cats looking for her in her favorite room. I've been distracting myself with Netflix and RHOM.

inthegarden, Belle was a great name for my kit because she was the queen of the roost and had impeccable manners, but the funny thing is of my 5 furry kids (including Belle) I chose exactly zero of their names. To end on an up note, my dog came with the name Brody (if I were to name him, it'd be Beggar, as he CONSTANTLY wants treats). A few months after he came to live with me, I was catching up on the first season of "Homeland". He went nuts for a while at hearing his name shouted out of the TV (if you don't watch the show, one of the main character's name is Brody) but soon learned to ignore it. And now he ignores me when I call his name. Lesson learned: cancel Showtime.

Thanks again to all of you.
    The same thing happened with me. I lost Jasper three years ago on December 30th while we were visiting my folks. I thought Suki was taking it pretty well until we got back home after the holidays and she ran around the house, frantically looking for him in his favorite spots. It's hard enough mourning your pet and trying to hold it together and then you have to deal with your other pet(s) mourning their lost buddy as well.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

That happened with Joey after Mona passed on. During routine things such as breakfast, dinner watching tv he would always do things like looking behind to see if Mona was coming, looking on the footstool to see if she was laying there before jumping up etc., etc. It broke my heart, and it for the most part stopped after about a month, but once in a while I would see him looking a certain way, I knew he was looking for Mona.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Minerva is staying away for now because my son is home and he is so allergic to cats, he feels it's ok to hiss at them and make sudden movements with his feet like he's going to kick them if they head toward him. I've tried to talk with him about this, but he feels I should leave them outside the whole time he's here and that's not an option. So with Minerva out of the house for most of the last 24 hours, Dexter has been crying and crying, looking for her. It kept me up a good part of the night. Finally she let herself in the basement window around 6:30 this morning and I fed her 2 cans of cat food. He was giddy with excitement, but she just wanted back out. I had closed the basement door and tried to hold her to calm her down, but she just wanted out. I let them both out together and watched out the window. She headed straight up the driveway and turned left with him bunny hopping behind. I had to throw a coat and boots on and follow. I spotted Dexter at the end of the driveway 2 houses up. I quietly called and clicked, edging closer so he wouldn't bolt. When I got close enough, I saw Minerva at the far end of the driveway. Bless her heart, she understood the situation and came to me, following me home so he would follow, checking over her shoulder. Once we got him inside again, she took off. I find that amazing, that Minerva understood and showed compassion and an willingness to work together to get Dexter back home.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Now you should keep that window closed and smack Ben upside the head. I understand he is allergic but that is downright nasty what he is doing. Makes me lose respect.
    prhoshay likes this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Minerva is staying away for now because my son is home and he is so allergic to cats, he feels it's ok to hiss at them and make sudden movements with his feet like he's going to kick them if they head toward him. I've tried to talk with him about this, but he feels I should leave them outside the whole time he's here and that's not an option. So with Minerva out of the house for most of the last 24 hours, Dexter has been crying and crying, looking for her. It kept me up a good part of the night. Finally she let herself in the basement window around 6:30 this morning and I fed her 2 cans of cat food. He was giddy with excitement, but she just wanted back out. I had closed the basement door and tried to hold her to calm her down, but she just wanted out. I let them both out together and watched out the window. She headed straight up the driveway and turned left with him bunny hopping behind. I had to throw a coat and boots on and follow. I spotted Dexter at the end of the driveway 2 houses up. I quietly called and clicked, edging closer so he wouldn't bolt. When I got close enough, I saw Minerva at the far end of the driveway. Bless her heart, she understood the situation and came to me, following me home so he would follow, checking over her shoulder. Once we got him inside again, she took off. I find that amazing, that Minerva understood and showed compassion and an willingness to work together to get Dexter back home.
    How old is he? I thought he was in his 20's, this sounds like he is a punk little kid. Maybe HE should stay outside or somewhere else. There are shots and pills for these things and if those don't work - there are motels. I had sometime that did that once years ago to my Timmy - that jerk got tossed out of my home after I backhanded him. Jackass.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Cooper cat loves the smell of Peppermint. Knowing this, I stupidly blew in his face while I was eating a piece of Peppermint.
    He went nuts and gave me a nibble on the chin, patted at my face and hand with his paw. He does that to ask for a taste. When I wouldn't give him a taste, he sat and twisted his head this way and that, opened and closed his mouth and stuck his tongue out and curled it under. Funny cat. I found out about his peppermint crave, when I had to use Bengay on my knee last summer. The Bengay is odorless, but has a slight odor when you first rub it on. It drove both of us nuts. This Christmas I had a arrangement that had Peppermint striped candles, I didn't realize that the candles smelled of peppermint until I walked in to find him snacking on one of the candles.
    I know not to ever give him Catnip. The first and last time he had it, he when crazy, running, jumping, howling. I kept it in the pantry for my other cats and they were okay with it. Not him, when I put the bag back up, he found it in the pantry, climbed the shelves, knocking stuff everywhere, pulled the bag in the floor and ripped it opened. I had to take it outside to keep him from tearing the house down to get to it. My little addict.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 12-29-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    just1paul likes this.

+ Reply to Thread