+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettO
    If they live inside why not declaw them? Just curious!!

My son and his wife have 3 cats and had them all declawed and they all are fine and act like nothing was ever done.

Look at their toes versus cats with claws, you'll see it.

I would never ever declaw them. If anyone ever tells you it is ok, spit in their face.
    My ex took both Mona & Joey to the vet one day when I was at work and had it done, despite my arguments and against my wishes. I raced to the vet and got there too late.
    It is akin to having your fingers cut off at the first knuckle.
    Mona to this day still has a slight limp and favors her front right leg.
    Joey gets frustrated if he tries to jump on the counter or something and can't grab it.

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agamergirl

Thanks for the suggestion agamergirl! The Turbo Scratcher looks like it might work, because I know most of the carpet destroying occurs when Carl is stretching his front paws out on the floor. I'm going to look into it, so maybe the cats will be getting an early Christmas present, (because yes, they do get Christmas presents! )

As far as declawing goes- I know many people declaw their indoor cats, but I could never do it. I know that when I adopted my beautiful Tortie girl from the Humane Society I had to agree never to get her declawed, and I think I had to make a similar promise when I adopted Carl from a cat rescue organization. Yes, my furniture gets destroyed and my carpet torn up, but I guess I'd rather save my kitties from a traumatic surgery and future paw problems than have nice furniture without claw marks! Actually, I have no idea what it's like to have furniture without claw marks, and I'll probably never know.

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile
    Sounds like a urinary tract infection to me . They should send the urine to be cultured and do a quick dip to check for blood and leukocytes, and glucose. A blood test to check BUN and creatinine for kidney function wouldn't hurt. Could be stones, but I don't think bigger dogs have the problems the little ones do . If this is a new behaviour, there must be a reason for it. My dog started wetting in the house (and she never had) and it was bladder stones, but she is an 11 pound runt-of-the-litter Shih Tzu.
    Good thought on the ideas! I should have considered leukocytes, and glucose along with my concern of infection. Love these boards - you get lots of folks thinking on a problem!

Also have to add my hate of declawing! Nasty people!

gabriel - So sorry - Mr. Ex needs a couple of his fingers whacked off.

Again - anyone dealing with CRF?

Quote Originally Posted by Mimzy

gabriel - So sorry - Mr. Ex needs a couple of his fingers whacked off.
    And that is just one of the reasons he is mr EX. the drunken fool.

My pet squirrel "Fred"

After telling you all about my pet squirrel story...I took this picture this morning of my Fred while he was eating his breakfast while I had my coffee.
    We meet each morning....isn't he fat...he looks like he is smiling but he has a pecan in his mouth
    Frankly Jamie we don't give a damn.

ScarlettO, he is absolutely adorable. Squirrels are my absolute favourite of all urban wildlife - they have such a sense of play and are always entertaining.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

My older cat is declawed, and at nearly 13 years old, she's never had any foot or paw problems. My vet at the time even recommended it. Maybe it depends on the age of the cat when they have it done - she was declawed at the same time she was fixed, at 6 months.

Having said that, I didn't declaw our new kitten (kitten - hah - he's not a year old yet and he's far bigger than his *big sister* and has got to be at least five pounds heavier). Our vet sold me some rubber tips for his front claws - you glue them on, and they fall off when the cat sheds his claws. I imagine it's no worse than having acrylic nails glued on. At any rate, there was no such thing when I got my older cat. And my never mind my furniture, I don't want my kids scratched up - though the *kitten* has a very tolerant nature.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I got this in an email today and it automatically made me think of Pom. So I'm posting it on here for everyone to enjoy...

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettO

After telling you all about my pet squirrel story...I took this picture this morning of my Fred while he was eating his breakfast while I had my coffee.
    We meet each morning....isn't he fat...he looks like he is smiling but he has a pecan in his mouth
    Absolutely adorable!!

I'm really jealous btw.. I've always wanted a pet squirrel. So much so, that my gf got a fake squirrel for me..one that sits in my flowers. His name is Ollie.
    I also have had wild "pet" squirrels.. a few times actually. One would always come up to me and eat out of my hands, one time he actually sat on my lap to eat my banana. Dunno if all squirrels love bananas, but this one sure did! So I always had bananas for him.. you should try and see if Fred likes them too.

Fred is gorgeous!! Thanks for posting the pic!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Another picture of Fred

Here is another angle of Fred. You can really see his fat belly from this shot hahaha.

Thanks Maveno and Rattus....yes I am lucky to have him. We sure turn some heads in the subdivision when he is trying to crawl up my pants. People think he is attacking me. I have actually had a man stop to help me.

And Maveno he is a wild squirrel. His Mom was my pet/wild also.... and when she had her first litter she brought them to me when she came for her pecans. I had her for about 6 years and then I think she passed. But her son Fred is still with me so I am happy.

I will sure try the banannas and hope he likes them. Thanks for the tip.
    Frankly Jamie we don't give a damn.

+ Reply to Thread