+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1140Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Critical - , yes I know that squirm all too well.

JavaJo - A friend who Bella LOVES sometimes trims her nails, and yes, there is a certain way she holds her. She does it really quick, all 4 paws.

Vet tech did it a couple weeks ago, and it went "okay".

I saw something called "PediPaw" advertised on TV and it made it look like the cat/dog loved it. Yeah . . . . .riiiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by tango7 View Post
    Critical - , yes I know that squirm all too well.

I saw something called "PediPaw" advertised on TV and it made it look like the cat/dog loved it. Yeah . . . . .riiiiiight.
    My sister got that and the noise scared all of her dogs. Needless to say it didn't work. She has her groomer trim their nails now.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I trim about once/month. Once they acept the fact that this is going to happen, it becomes easier. My groomer told me that it was important, as long as I knew that I wasn't hurting her, not to lose the battle.....like with kids. I tuck their bodies between my body and my arm, holding at the elbow, like JavaJo says. I talk to them in a low soothing voice, continuously, easing my hold gradually, and we get it done; they relax, more, as we go. Fast clipping is also important.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Critical: My cat Squirt doesn't like fish at all, either. It's frustrating when I'm looking for dry cat food and so many of them include fish or shrimp. I try to get him poultry (especially turkey, because that's his favorite), liver, or beef. The other day I was at Walmart getting some items and thought I might as well get cat food while I was there but the only dry food they had without fish was $8 for a little 3 pound bag. All the big bags of dry food included fish. I decided to wait and get cat food somewhere else.

Every other cat I've had has like seafood and liked to drink the water in the tuna cans when I was making tuna salad for myself but Squirt doesn't. He's crazy about milk, though! I use plastic cups at home since I live alone, that way I have less to clean up. Squirt associates plastic cups with milk since I drink bottled water and soft drinks out of the can. He starts following me meowing loudly when he sees me get a plastic cup out. He's severely disappointed the few times I put juice or something else in the cup! lol

I don't clip my dog's nails. I figure walking on cement tends to do enough. They never get too long or turn into hooks or anything. When he goes to the vet they trim them, but they're never all that bad.

I did, however, used to trim my cat's nails when he became a housecat. They turned into huge hooks. At first it was like trying to groom a badger. I could only do a few a day & that was with both of us on the floor, him pinned by my legs & arms, and him snarling & growling the whole time. It was quite the experience. Not a good one. I got more than a few scratches during this time. I did it with basic nail clippers, being careful to only snip the tips & avoiding going anywhere near the membrane.
    In time he grew to accept it, although not willingly. I still had to pin all four of his limbs firmly, but I could at least do them all in one session with no snarling or damage to myself.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

I use some great cat clippers I found online a few years ago. I usually try to do only 1 paw then wait a day or so....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

So far I've been pretty successful clipping Willows claws while she's sleeping. She always wakes up and, as playful as she is, she tries to bite the clipper, but I can usually get a few claws clipped before she's fully awake. It takes me a couple of days to get all her nails clipped doing it this way, but it isn't as stressful for either of us as when I held her down and clipped them.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have a Bengal cat, too, Gut, who looks very similar to Dexter! His name is Flynn and he is a rescue but when I adopted him I thought was just a regular short-haired tabby cat. As soon as I got him home, though, I realized that his limbs are extremely long and some of his stripes break up almost into spots so I called the rescue group and they told me that he's a Bengal. They are obsessed with water - Flynn jumps up on the sink or runs to the shower every time he hears running water. I hope you share more stories with us about Dexter and maybe we can compare notes.

And congrats on Willow, LB. I remember when you and your DH rescued Smokey very well and it surprises me that was two whole years ago, now. And Suki is my the name of one of my Aunts and my college roommate, Crit. She looks a little like a Ragdoll cat. Thanks for sharing the photos, guys. They are all adorable -- MsTrouble too, Paul -- I saw her face when you put that avatar up and wondered if that was your cat. I'll load one up of Flynn if anyone wants to see another Bengal cat. It's really great to hear that everyone at FoRT is doing so well with their pets.
    Cootie likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Hey chrisg!

Maybe Willow has a little Bengal in her then, because she's obsessed with water too. She comes running when she hears any water, and she sits by the sink while I'm washing dishes. If I splash a little water on her she doesn't run, she just licks it off. When I get out of the shower she immediately has to get in and walk around until her feet are wet and then track little paw prints on the floor!
    chrisg likes this.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I used to have a kitty who liked to sit in the back of the bathtub when I took a shower. She didn't want to be sprayed, but she'd just sit there until just before I was finished. She would force her way into the bathroom since the door never shut well; of course it would stay ajar, and I would freeze!

My Maine Coon, Desiree Lucille (aka DesiLu, aka Dez), who is supposed to like water is not wild about it. If I flick water at her, she's out of there. She will tolerate a little trickle over her head from the bathroom sink, which she will race to get into if she hears me in the bathroom, but it's a super-brief moment, and she'll beat me out of the bathroom! I've had cats who love water much, much more.
    chrisg likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread