+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1421Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeOne View Post
    Buy some organic Coconut oil and Apple Cider Vinegar. My animals eat the oil right off a spoon and I put a few tablespoons (vinegar) in their water bowl each time I fill it. We started with just a few drops at a time and moved up with the vinegar.
    This is an amazing site and have used these for about 8 months now. My dogs hot spots are gone, I have not had to buy flea meds in the 8 months, Stigs is no longer throwing up everyday like he was and their skin and coats are very soft and shiny.

Apple Cider Vinegar for Cats

This is for cats but they have MUCH more on the site. I can spend hours looking up natural remedies.
    I hope he gets better soon!

P.S. If they refuse to drink the water, you can put a few drops on the nape of their neck like flea meds, or a small amount on the paws and they will lick it off. Some animals can get an upset tummy so you may want to dilute it if you go for the paws.
    Thanks for the info... I will surely try it! He does drink water...so hopefully he will drink the mixture.
    BlondeOne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I'm *sighing* with you I'm here. I care for a feral colony too.
    It sounds like a bite wound that has abscessed and he has opened up by licking. That is a good sign that it has opened up and is draining. You want all the infection out.
    This is how I treat my crew. Mine are all "fixed" but occasionally they will have a territory feud and someone will get bitten. If it is a really deep bite, I give them a liquid antibiotic from my Veterinarian. Minor bites, I irrigate with a sterile saline solution or warm water and treat with Neosporin. Make sure he is eating and drinking plenty of water if not, you can feed him warm chicken broth.
    When I have to treat one, I get all my supplies ready and grab them by the nap of the neck while they are eating a treat (chopped chicken). I hold them by the nap of the neck while I'm treating them and work fast.... I've notice with mine, they seemed to know they need help and will let me treat them without too much fuss. I can just feel them relax once they know that I'm helping them. After I've treated one and they have healed, most of the time, I get a thank you leg rub...with a see I'm fine no more meds please look.
    If they require a trip to the Vet, a wire humane live trap with a spring loaded front trap door and removable back door works the best. The Vet can give them a sedative shot through the wire before removing it to treat. If you use this type of trap, keep the trap covered with an old towel or sheet, that helps to keep the cat calm.

Just a note about cats: With winter approaching, they will look for a warm place to sleep and are notorious for seeking out a warm vehicle. They will climb under the hood and get in the motor, the fan or next to the radiator. Some trucks/suv/car's have a spot for an extra battery and they will hid there. Other hiding places are in spare tires that are stored under the vehicle, the axle or any other small spot they can get. If you park your vehicle outside after dark, be sure to check it out before you start it up.

My feral colony is also all fixed. Thankfully!

The cut does look better... and there is NO MORE puss. I think he did a great job cleaning it. I think what he is left with is the hardened blood. That I will help him with.. when he lets me actually comb that spot. He is trying to clean it all up.. but he is REALLY very FLUFFY! And I'll add... really HANDSOME!

I have never grabbed him by his nap... as he usually comes right up to me for the daily combing.

Also... I've to admit I'm nervous about trying to trap him. As I'm afraid IF he gets scared... when released, he might not come back.

I've prepared my property for the winter. I've purchased a really nice.. big... dog house in the back yard. I've insulated it and placed warm beds in there. (Though... the 4 kitties don't often visit the back yard). They tend to stay by my front door... as thats the sunny side of my house.

In the front of the house... on my porch... I have another dog house... aka... kitty house... I've also insulated that house and at night I put 3 "snugglesafes" in it.... under their comfy beds... so they can't get burned. They LOVE LOVE LOVE the warmth. All 4 kitties of the same family... sleep in there together. SOOOO CUTE! It does my heart good to see them in there.

If you have never used snugglesafes... you should check them out. I've purchased mine at Amazon.com. Priced usually around $23.00 BUT it provides about 12 hours of heat. (heat them in the microwave). Money NOT wasted. I've had these snugglesafes for over 10 years...
    inthegarden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    He's not eating or drinking, unfortunately. We've been giving him antibiotics with the painkiller but this morning he threw up the meds. I think we have probably run out of options. It's a hard decision, partly because he's still fairly young, my oldest daughter is very, very attached to him, and we had to euthanize our elderly (age 18.5) cat exactly one year ago.

My cat experienced sorta the same thing when he was 15 years old. He lived until he was 17.
    When he wouldn't drink water or chicken broth...I used to get a liquid dropper" and fill it with broth and feed it to him. One quick squeeze a few times a day... and that did help with his strength.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone. He has now crossed over the Rainbow Bridge & is with the "big sister" we lost last year. My daughters were courageous enough to stay in the room when we said goodbye, so his whole family was with him. His suffering is over.
    I'm VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS!!!! And here I was giving you ideas how to give him liquids. I should have read further before posting!

Its NEVER an easy decision to put an animal to sleep... but at least he isn't suffering any longer!

*HUGS*

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm so excited!!!! I think I'm getting a Bengal cat today! I've been trying to find a kitten for a friend whose cat died. In our area it is next to impossible to find kittens. They just don't exist. If you get a lead or see an ad in the paper, by the time you call, they're all gone. When I've had kittens in the past, people snap them up and beg for more. My one good queen disappeared about a month ago leaving me with one female who had a litter a year ago but none since. I think there just aren't any unfixed males in the area. Minerva (McGonagall) is a tabby with a gorgeous gold undercoat and a large orange spot on the back of her head. Some of you may remember me obsessivelly posting pictures of her as my avatar about a year and a half ago. So in the search for a female for my friend, I heard of this Bengal litter. By the time I called them, they only had one male left and I said I'd take it. I'm thinking baby daddy for my girl, but if he has problems with spraying, I'll fix him. He'll be mostly an indoor cat. I understand they are very active and extremely intelligent, and I think I'm up for the challenge. Wish me luck with the two getting along. I think Minerva is lonely. This time last year I had a dog and 3 cats.

If you're looking for kittens... just come to PA. We are loaded with them!!!! Good Luck on the new addition. A full breed Bengal cat? Very hard to come by... and quite expensive too!

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    If you're looking for kittens... just come to PA. We are loaded with them!!!! Good Luck on the new addition. A full breed Bengal cat? Very hard to come by... and quite expensive too!
    Wow! I just looked at the cost( gulp)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

There's a local family who lives out in the country and breeds them. Their kids are friends with my kids, so I didn't have to pay the full price. I brought him home this afternoon and he's currently exploring the house. He's not a kitten - born May 15... so about 6 months. They dock the tails on all their Bengals which I would not have preferred, but he says it's safer for them if they are going to be outdoors at all, which he will be. They live way out in the woods and have never lost a Bengal to fisher cats or other wildlife.
    Count your blessings!

How exciting Gutmutter! You'll have to post a picture.

Yes, posts some photos .I bet he's lovely. How nice to have a new fur baby in the house for Christmas
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Hi everyone

I haven’t posted for awhile and wanted to check in and ask a few questions.

My 3 1/2 yr old cat Bella had been ‘wheezing’ and seemed congested, so a couple weeks ago I took her to the vet. After an exam she was given a shot (antibiotic) They also gave me a bag of Lysine treats which I was told is good for feline herpes. Surprisingly, I hear this is common. Her right eye tends to drip. Right away I noticed an improvement in the congestion and the eye dripping has cleared up.

I was given drops for her ears, which I administered for 10 days. Not an easy task.

I took her in yesterday for a followup and she was due for 1 booster shots. They cleaned hre ears out – which she HATED. The vet tech looked in her mouth and said it would be a good idea to bring her in for a dental cleaning after the first of the year. The doctor gave me a printed estimate ($140, less if she doesn’t need any extractions). I hear that’s reasonable. They explained the cat is given anesthesia and I can drop her off and pick her up a few hrs later.

So, I’m just sharing and soliciting any comments. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tango7; 12-06-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    just1paul and inthegarden like this.

+ Reply to Thread