+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar
    PGM35

How old is your boxer?
    He is 5 years old (at least). When we took him to the vet in Jan 2004, she thought he was 3 years old. My dad found him without tags or collar, and pretty banged up from a fall from a moving vehicle.

Sounds like a urinary tract infection to me . They should send the urine to be cultured and do a quick dip to check for blood and leukocytes, and glucose. A blood test to check BUN and creatinine for kidney function wouldn't hurt. Could be stones, but I don't think bigger dogs have the problems the little ones do . If this is a new behaviour, there must be a reason for it. My dog started wetting in the house (and she never had) and it was bladder stones, but she is an 11 pound runt-of-the-litter Shih Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllenMishke
    He constantly scratches the carpeting, and tears it up. There are little pieces of carpet all over my apartment, and I'm afraid he's going to ruin it completely and I'll never get my security deposit back.

The cats have a giant scratching post, and they use it all the time, and I keep their claws trimmed, so I really don't know what else to do. Carl rarely rips at the carpet when I'm around, so I can't catch him in the act.

I'm at my wit's end, and declawing is absolutely not an option, so... any suggestions?
    SueEll, I'm in the same boat as you The only good thing about it was that my carpet was in poor shape when I moved in and I've been here a long time, so maybe they'll just call it wear and tear (one can hope atleast). The corners of my living room and bedroom are toast though, my boy Midnight rips them to shreds when I'm at work each day. Just like you as well, they've got a scratching post that they use frequently, but something about the corners of the carpet just totally attract the scratching.

Also, it's not declawing, cause it's not an option for me either, but they have these things that I believe are called "Soft Paws" that are sort of like a soft cover for their nails. I've heard of them before but have no experience in them, just thought I'd toss that out there in case you were interested in checking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile
    Sounds like a urinary tract infection to me . They should send the urine to be cultured and do a quick dip to check for blood and leukocytes, and glucose. A blood test to check BUN and creatinine for kidney function wouldn't hurt. Could be stones, but I don't think bigger dogs have the problems the little ones do . If this is a new behaviour, there must be a reason for it. My dog started wetting in the house (and she never had) and it was bladder stones, but she is an 11 pound runt-of-the-litter Shih Tzu.
    I have a call in to the vet to see what tests were done on him last time and what they checked for and ruled out. There were $175.00 worth of tests so surely they covered all you reference above. I know he did say it all looked fine and that he could do more xrays of his kidneys (MRI) but that sounded expensive so I decided to wait. Maybe I should have done it. I'll see what the vet has to say

FORT Regular
    I rescued a pit bull puppy... He is an American Bull Terrier, completely a dark brown and he has a diamond of white on his chest and three white paws. Best dog I ever met!

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    Also, it's not declawing, cause it's not an option for me either, but they have these things that I believe are called "Soft Paws" that are sort of like a soft cover for their nails. I've heard of them before but have no experience in them, just thought I'd toss that out there in case you were interested in checking into it.

Thanks, Libra! I've thought about the claw covers, because the water bottle doesn't seem to do the trick, but then I envision myself trying to hold the cat down while I glue caps on the ends of his claws, and it's not a pretty picture. I think I'm going to have to break down and try them soon though, so I'll let you know if they work.

Curious

If they live inside why not declaw them? Just curious!!

My son and his wife have 3 cats and had them all declawed and they all are fine and act like nothing was ever done.
    Frankly Jamie we don't give a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettO
    If they live inside why not declaw them? Just curious!!
    My son and his wife have 3 cats and had them all declawed and they all are fine and act like nothing was ever done.
    It's a horrible process and very cruel. http://www.declawing.com/ Cats can be taught to use scratching posts and there's also such things as the TurboScratcher
    Also, read this story:
    http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2838151
    ETA: Good for you, Sue Ellen! Have you heard of the Turbo Scratcher? My cat dearly loves it. I've got spray catnip and I put that on the cardboard.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

I came here to show Duke's Christmas photo and got sidetracked on the declawing discussion. We went to the dog beach today and here's a signature I made for a different site.

He's getting old and these trips kind of tire him out. We spent the night last night so he would be rested for the photos. Merry Christmas early everyone!
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

What a handsome fella!

+ Reply to Thread