+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

"Might get infected??" I think that ship has sailed.
    just1paul likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Get a big tube of neosporin. Maybe he will let you put it on. or get a live trap and take him to a shelter that does doctor.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    Concerned....

As mentioned before... I care for a a few feral cats. What started out as a family of 4... has turned into 6 or 7 cats camping out at my house. Though... I noticed the other day that one of the feral cats (that I'm hoping to keep... when I can pick him up)... I noticed he has a cut on his side. He seems to be trying to care for it... as he keeps licking the cut. Usually he lets me pet him and comb him.. but as of late.. he won't let me near him. The cut seems to be 1-2 inches long with what seems to be puss leaking out of the cut.

I don't know what I can do to help him and it concerns me that the cut might get infected.

This is just one of the hard things to deal with when caring for feral cats. *sigh* All homeless animals deserve a home and a family to love them!!!!!!!
    Buy some organic Coconut oil and Apple Cider Vinegar. My animals eat the oil right off a spoon and I put a few tablespoons (vinegar) in their water bowl each time I fill it. We started with just a few drops at a time and moved up with the vinegar.
    This is an amazing site and have used these for about 8 months now. My dogs hot spots are gone, I have not had to buy flea meds in the 8 months, Stigs is no longer throwing up everyday like he was and their skin and coats are very soft and shiny.

Apple Cider Vinegar for Cats

This is for cats but they have MUCH more on the site. I can spend hours looking up natural remedies.
    I hope he gets better soon!

P.S. If they refuse to drink the water, you can put a few drops on the nape of their neck like flea meds, or a small amount on the paws and they will lick it off. Some animals can get an upset tummy so you may want to dilute it if you go for the paws.
    Last edited by BlondeOne; 11-30-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: I always think of more to add lol
    inthegarden and I'm here like this.

I'm *sighing* with you I'm here. I care for a feral colony too.
    It sounds like a bite wound that has abscessed and he has opened up by licking. That is a good sign that it has opened up and is draining. You want all the infection out.
    This is how I treat my crew. Mine are all "fixed" but occasionally they will have a territory feud and someone will get bitten. If it is a really deep bite, I give them a liquid antibiotic from my Veterinarian. Minor bites, I irrigate with a sterile saline solution or warm water and treat with Neosporin. Make sure he is eating and drinking plenty of water if not, you can feed him warm chicken broth.
    When I have to treat one, I get all my supplies ready and grab them by the nap of the neck while they are eating a treat (chopped chicken). I hold them by the nap of the neck while I'm treating them and work fast.... I've notice with mine, they seemed to know they need help and will let me treat them without too much fuss. I can just feel them relax once they know that I'm helping them. After I've treated one and they have healed, most of the time, I get a thank you leg rub...with a see I'm fine no more meds please look.
    If they require a trip to the Vet, a wire humane live trap with a spring loaded front trap door and removable back door works the best. The Vet can give them a sedative shot through the wire before removing it to treat. If you use this type of trap, keep the trap covered with an old towel or sheet, that helps to keep the cat calm.

Just a note about cats: With winter approaching, they will look for a warm place to sleep and are notorious for seeking out a warm vehicle. They will climb under the hood and get in the motor, the fan or next to the radiator. Some trucks/suv/car's have a spot for an extra battery and they will hid there. Other hiding places are in spare tires that are stored under the vehicle, the axle or any other small spot they can get. If you park your vehicle outside after dark, be sure to check it out before you start it up.
    just1paul likes this.

We got a new puppy yesterday! He's a cute little black and tan Mini Dachshund. We are calling him Slinky because of the way he walks. He stretches his back legs out with each step, then inches them up to catch up with the rest of him. It's so cute! Our Min Pin is aging and we weren't going to get another dog until, well, you know, but since our other dog passed away, he's been moping and seems so sad. It's been three years, but if you say her name, he perks up, still. He's pretty dominant and doesn't like too many other dogs, so we figured if we got a small one, he'd deal better and he has. The first couple of hours were rough on him but now, he frets over the baby. Follows him around, barks when he thinks he's somewhere he shouldn't be. It's very sweet. The whole family is smitten. I'll post a picture later. He won't sit still long enough to take a good one right now..
    Critical and I'm here like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    We got a new puppy yesterday! He's a cute little black and tan Mini Dachshund. We are calling him Slinky because of the way he walks. He stretches his back legs out with each step, then inches them up to catch up with the rest of him. It's so cute! Our Min Pin is aging and we weren't going to get another dog until, well, you know, but since our other dog passed away, he's been moping and seems so sad. It's been three years, but if you say her name, he perks up, still. He's pretty dominant and doesn't like too many other dogs, so we figured if we got a small one, he'd deal better and he has. The first couple of hours were rough on him but now, he frets over the baby. Follows him around, barks when he thinks he's somewhere he shouldn't be. It's very sweet. The whole family is smitten. I'll post a picture later. He won't sit still long enough to take a good one right now..
    He sounds so cute I love puppies.I like his name JavaJo
    inthegarden and JavaJo like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

For animal lovers

My daughter's 7.5 yr old tabby has feline urinary tract disease - we think. He has seen 3 different vets, had x-rays & bloodwork, and we have no answer on why he suddenly became so ill. He can't/won't pee but he is no longer blocked. He is home now as the vets could do nothing for him. He is again refusing to eat and won't leave my daughter's bed.

I think he is probably becoming toxic. I think he's not in pain because we are giving him liquid painkiller, from the vet.

I wonder if anyone has had experience with this. I have read the literature from the vet & some stuff online, but our cat seems much sicker than what sufferers usually experience. He is just not responding to any treatment.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just read (was it here?) about apple cider vinegar in water mixed in a cat's food. Post 16163 a page or two back.
    Count your blessings!

For animal lovers

He's not eating or drinking, unfortunately. We've been giving him antibiotics with the painkiller but this morning he threw up the meds. I think we have probably run out of options. It's a hard decision, partly because he's still fairly young, my oldest daughter is very, very attached to him, and we had to euthanize our elderly (age 18.5) cat exactly one year ago.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJane, One of my cats had urinary bladder cancer. It was hard for the Vet to diagnose, due to the location of the tumor. I did have to have her put to sleep. I thought she had a urinary tract infection when I took her in. I'm sorry.

+ Reply to Thread