+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettO
    Rattus how do you get past the laws about pets running loose? I know in my subdivision if one is found they are picked up and taken to the SPCA...whether they have a collar or not. Then when you go to get them they sock you with a fine.

I know because years ago I had a dog that used to jump my 6' fence. When I got fined I found her a new home. Wondering if the same laws apply to cats as to dogs?
    I live near downtown Toronto and there have been movements every once in a while to curtail free cats, but not much has come of it. Dogs are supposed to be on leash, but most people seem to ignore the law though you don't often see dogs wandering about by themself.

One very good reason for allowing cats freedom is that they do kill rodents while they're out and about. To my understanding, any community that has placed a ban on cats being loose has experienced a drastic increase in the rat population. In fact, various communities that have developed rat problems have imported clowders of cats to deal with the problem.

And on the subject of rats, my Harvey, apart from being a brilliant, if neurotic animal, is a most excellent ratter and quite protective of me. One day I was sitting in the livingroom when I heard an odd noise behind me. I turned around to see a rat the size of a squirrel sitting at the cat bowl chowing down. Harvey, being a smart boy, was sitting on the table watching it but not in attack mode - a rat that size can actually kill a cat. I stood there staring at it, broom in hand, as it crouched there staring at me. When it started towards me, Harv was off the table like a shot and chased it out of the house. He's such a good boy.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I so agree that "outside" cats are much happier. They need to stalk and sneak around...hunting. It's their mission in life. Used to have an outside cat that brought every snake it killed up on the front porch and layed it right by the front door..so when you walked out you slipped on it. That will jump start your old ticker in the morning.

It's like they're proud of their catch and have to share it. Never could make her understand...it was ok to eat the darn thing. I didn't want it.

And ScarlettO....I think a leash law only applies to dogs. Ever try and catch a cat out in the open. FYI...it can't be done....
    The stars at night...are big and bright

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    Igottaneeda that pic is great! Goodness how time flies, didn't you just get Frosty last year as a kitten? (Or has my mind gone wonky as well and I'm remembering wrong?)
    I did! The time has flown...he's been such a wonderful addition to our family.

Frosty's an indoor kitty...I like him that way because my allergies tend to go haywire with indoor/outdoor kitties.

He seems like he is pretty happy and content staying inside. He has multiple points to watch the outside action and we leave all flying bugs or lizards that happen to get inside our house for Frosty the fearless bounty hunter to play with before he swoops in for the kill. And if that's not enough, the 5 AM pounce on top of me should be entertaining for him.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    Igottaneeda that pic is great! Goodness how time flies, didn't you just get Frosty last year as a kitten? (Or has my mind gone wonky as well and I'm remembering wrong?)
    Exactly! I remember when you first got Frosty and needed "advice". He's a cutie-pie.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife
    I did! The time has flown...he's been such a wonderful addition to our family.

Frosty's an indoor kitty...I like him that way because my allergies tend to go haywire with indoor/outdoor kitties.

He seems like he is pretty happy and content staying inside. He has multiple points to watch the outside action and we leave all flying bugs or lizards that happen to get inside our house for Frosty the fearless bounty hunter to play with before he swoops in for the kill. And if that's not enough, the 5 AM pounce on top of me should be entertaining for him.
    My two are perfectly happy to stay inside.

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    I need some advice from my fellow cat-loving Forters!

I have two (mostly) wonderful cats, a 5 year old female, (Ramey), and a 1 year old male, (Carl). They both have some not so great habits, but I have a problem with Carl that I don't know how to solve. He constantly scratches the carpeting, and tears it up. There are little pieces of carpet all over my apartment, and I'm afraid he's going to ruin it completely and I'll never get my security deposit back.

The cats have a giant scratching post, and they use it all the time, and I keep their claws trimmed, so I really don't know what else to do. Carl rarely rips at the carpet when I'm around, so I can't catch him in the act.

I'm at my wit's end, and declawing is absolutely not an option, so... any suggestions?

Keep a spray bottle filled with water close at hand. You can buy one at the dollar store. When you catch Carl scratching, hit 'im with a shot of water. You have to keep it up, and, yes, it hurts your heart a little to scare him, but if you keep it up, he'll learn after a while. It only works if you keep it up and spray him when he's scratching.

P.S. Those "anti-scratch" sprays available at Petsmart and Petco, etc., that you spray on the furniture to deter them from scratching? Yeah, that stuff doesn't work. Good luck.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Maybe someone else has had this problem come up. Our boxer has started to urinate a lot - more frequently and in longer duration each time. He does drink a lot of water as well and we are getting concerned. He normally never has accidents and they say the boxers never wet their beds but he done this twice now and we are at our wits end.
    We took him to the vet last month and mentioned it to him (he went in for his biannually checkup and stuff) and they tested him for diabetes and stuff and found nothing wrong with him. We are thinking it may be his food but we switched him well over 3 months ago and this just started last month. Unless it is the food and it is just now starting to affect him. Any thoughts or has anyone has had this happen to their pet?

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar
    In less your dog is very old or suffering some sort of bladder weakness, I'd say that he is having an bladder/kidney infection. This would be the symptoms for my CRF kitties. A simple urine test should show any signs of this. You can also ask for the test to be "cultured" [they grow it for a few days] just to make sure that he is free from an infections. His drinking a lot would make me also run a blood work to check for CRF - kidney failure. You want to take a look at the BUN and creatian - first signs of trouble. If caught early, although there is no cure, there is treatment to make their lives longer and healthy. Don't let them say that there is nothing to be done. If you are not getting any answers or direction from your Vet. change to someone new.

Anyone else dealing with CRF?

PGM35

How old is your boxer?
    The stars at night...are big and bright

+ Reply to Thread