+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1384Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    And then there are nights like tonight when he is like his old self. and I cannot imagine what I am thinking of doing. I cannot fathom taking him into the vet's office to do what we are thinking of doing. I see his old side and he is the same dog. We shared some chips just now. And he's sitting at my feet and he's wearing his diaper and he already went outside to potty and he hasn't had an accident and the diaper is dry. It's like he's saying, look Mama, I can be good. No accidents anymore. Ugh. this is so hard. But yesterday, I changed him 3 times before I left for work and twice at the noon hour and then twice after work and then twice more before bed, and his woofing incident at 2AM and a poopy accident at 3AM....

The not knowing WHEN is the hardest decision.... well, making the decision is the roughest decision... (you know what I mean)!!!! AND like everybody says... you'll know when its time. Sometimes the right time is when you just can't do it anymore. Like people... as an animal ages... their quality of life just isn't what it used to be... its hard on the person/animal. BUT when the animal is still doing their normal routine... and still quite pearky... is when we start second quessing ourselves. (meaning... second guessing the hard decision of when).

I know this well... for months I watched my princess get worse.... each night she would scream at the top of her lungs... just to wake me up. She couldn't jump up on anything... and she had a little limp... gained a lot of weight. But the vet said she was fine... just old.
    I should have know better. She was telling me something... but I couldn't understand MEOWWWW.... I thought she was just meowing loudly as to get my attention no matter the day or night.

This went on for a year.... the vet still saying she was just old.... until one night... she just couldn't walk anymore. Obviously I knew our time together was over.

Did I wait tooooo long? Was she trying to MEOW/scream at me... letting me know.... all the while she was doing her same routine.... I know I was blinded by her beauty and her unconditional love. I just wouldn't believe that this or that... was the day.

OK back on topic.... YOU WILL KNOW WHEN ITS TIME!!!!!!! YOU WILL DEFINITELY KNOW!!!!!

My heart aches for you and my prayers are yours during this time!!!!!!!!
    PGM35 and KatesMom like this.

PGM, I can't add anything beyond what anyone else has said. I just wanted to add that I am also thinking of you and Buddy and I do know how hard this is and how you must be feeling. [HUGS]
    PGM35 likes this.

Jamie5632 likes this.

PGM35 I'm so sorry that you are struggling with the decision of what to do. Hugs and a head pat for Buddy.

I just recently went through the same thing where my dog had "good" periods between the pain. It made me doubt the decision for a long time. Then I read that animals are good at hiding how much pain they're really in as a survival skill and I knew what I had to do for the little monkey I loved so much. It was the hardest decision, but one I don't regret. He's at peace now.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I just recently went through the same thing where my dog had "good" periods between the pain. It made me doubt the decision for a long time. Then I read that animals are good at hiding how much pain they're really in as a survival skill and I knew what I had to do for the little monkey I loved so much. It was the hardest decision, but one I don't regret. He's at peace now.
    That IS so true! About animals and their survival skills... and for that reason alone... I should have known better... and made the choices I made sooner. I know I was selfish.. and thats what I'm living with still..... WOW! *wipes tears* I still cry over it. I don't know when that will end.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It will take as long as it takes.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    That IS so true! About animals and their survival skills... and for that reason alone... I should have known better... and made the choices I made sooner. I know I was selfish.. and thats what I'm living with still..... WOW! *wipes tears* I still cry over it. I don't know when that will end.
    I don't know how long ago it was I'm here.But I can still cry over something I did 10 years ago!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I don't know how long ago it was I'm here.But I can still cry over something I did 10 years ago!
    10 years for you Fanny Mare? Ugghh! That would be half of my princess's life. I was lucky to have her for 20 years... it will probably take me that long to get over my bad choices. I just LOVED her.. and MISS her and feel like she didn't deserve to linger on. She deserved soooo much more!

January 6th I had my princess put to sleep...

*BIG SIGH*

I'm sitting here crying as if I'm making that choice now... I gotta pull myself together.

What the unconditional love will do to a person....

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    10 years? Ugghh! That would be half of my princess's life. I was lucky to have her for 20 years... it will probably take me that long to get over my bad choices. I just LOVED her.. and MISS her and feel like she didn't deserve to linger on. She deserved soooo much more!

*BIG SIGH*

I'm sitting here crying as if I'm making that choice now... I gotta pull myself together.

What the unconditional love will do to a person....
    Shoot, sorry .I didnt mean to bring up the hurt again. She's lives in your heart( forever)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread