+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Did your kitty barf up the bag?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Exactly. So sorry for your loss, I'm here!
    Thanks!

I am also sorry about Bailey having cancer. I lost one of my cats to cancer. A cancer on his face. My vet recommended another vet who mainly treats dogs for cancer. At a last attempt to keep my love alive... I went to this vet. She convinced me she could help my cat... and convinced me that he would live a long and healthy life after treatment. Spent over $7,000.... and after a month of radiation... he died.
    All I did was torture my cat.... because the vet convinced me she could help. I LOVED MY "LOVE". He was such a great cat. A really smart cat. All I wanted to do is save my cat... and all the vet wanted was my money. I will NEVER get over that hurt.
    The vet gave me false hope... and that is SOOOOO wrong!!!

I'm here, that is awful! Did you ever think of reporting the vet to your State's board?

Bailey is 12, and she is a large dog (lab mix). The vet said they could do the surgery, but she wanted me to have all the information before. Since she is like an 80 year old person, there is always the chance the surgery could kill her. The recovery would be very tough also. And she also said there is no guarantee once they get in there that they can even remove the tumor (it is in her throat and they said, for example, if it is attached to her esophagus, they couldn't remove it because they can't re-build it like doctors can for people). After discussing the options, we decided not to put her through that. My feeling now that her sister is gone is that she will probably deteriorate faster than she otherwise would have, which makes me sad. I just have to keep watching her and remember that no matter how sad it makes me (more so now that Bear is gone), it is not about me, but about making her comfortable as long as possible and then letting her go when it is time. It actually makes me tear up just writing that, but I know it is the loving thing to do . . . and I owe her that.

I'm here, that is awful! Did you ever think of reporting the vet to your State's board?

Bailey is 12, and she is a large dog (lab mix). The vet said they could do the surgery, but she wanted me to have all the information before. Since she is like an 80 year old person, there is always the chance the surgery could kill her. The recovery would be very tough also. And she also said there is no guarantee once they get in there that they can even remove the tumor (it is in her throat and they said, for example, if it is attached to her esophagus, they couldn't remove it because they can't re-build it like doctors can for people). After discussing the options, we decided not to put her through that. My feeling now that her sister is gone is that she will probably deteriorate faster than she otherwise would have, which makes me sad. I just have to keep watching her and remember that no matter how sad it makes me (more so now that Bear is gone), it is not about me, but about making her comfortable as long as possible and then letting her go when it is time. It actually makes me tear up just writing that, but I know it is the loving thing to do . . . and I owe her that.
    *wipes tears*

That makes me soooo sad! As it brings me right back to when I had to make such decisions. Obviously, mine was the wrong decision. (I was selfish in wanting to keep "love" alive and trusted the vet). You are doing the right thing! And that is to NOT torture Bailey. Make her as comfortable as she can be... and give her extra love.

PS. I did not contact the state's board... to be honest, I never thought to do that. What would I say... it would be my word against the vet. Thinking back... after the vet gave me false hope (assuring me that the radition would work)... and AFTER the radiation did NOT work... the vet suggested chemo... AS IF... it wasn't torture enough. *BIG SIGH*

As mentioned before... you are doing the right thing... please don't second guess yourself.... ever!

You would give them the facts and that is about all you can do. If they are doing their job, they would open a file and conduct an investigation. If she did it to you, she probably did it to others. I don't know if she did anything wrong. It just seems wrong that she basically told you she could fix your baby. I have never talked to a vet that has said that! There are always risks, and the good ones let you know that up front.

I had a Vet do the same thing to me with one of my cats. I don't think he was trying to take advantage of our situation, I really think he thought he could save her. It was a good lesson for me. I have a great Veterinarian now, and when she tells me its time to let go, I know its time.
    KatesMom and I'm here

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Did your kitty barf up the bag?
    Nope

Katesmom - I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this at once. I'm tearing up just reading your posts! It's hard enough with one pet, much less two. I lost a cat to stomach cancer about a year and a half ago and it's just horrible. The hardest part of pet ownership is knowing when it's time to let go, even when you don't want to. Hang in there and know that you've done everything you could to give her (and Bear) a wonderful life
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You would give them the facts and that is about all you can do. If they are doing their job, they would open a file and conduct an investigation. If she did it to you, she probably did it to others. I don't know if she did anything wrong. It just seems wrong that she basically told you she could fix your baby. I have never talked to a vet that has said that! There are always risks, and the good ones let you know that up front.

I should have done that... instead I wrote a loooonnnnnggggg letter to the vet.... and to NO surprise... I did NOT get any response back.

I'm not even sure why I wrote the vet. I think I was in shock. I wasn't looking for the money back... I was (I think) looking for answers. Like... how in ONLY one month... did my cat die? Especially after the vet convinced me he would have many years AFTER treatment. One month later... ONE MONTH LATER he died. Was the cancer that bad??? Was he too weak for the radiation? IF I didn't agree to treat him... would he have lived longer? I just wanted answers. I just wanted him back!!!

I think I was kicking myself... my vet did NOT think the radiation would work.. but thought it "might" slow it down... thus why he recommended the cancer vet.

I made the wrong choices... and I am still regretting it to this day!

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I had a Vet do the same thing to me with one of my cats. I don't think he was trying to take advantage of our situation, I really think he thought he could save her. It was a good lesson for me. I have a great Veterinarian now, and when she tells me its time to let go, I know its time.
    KatesMom and I'm here
    Hi inthegarden... *hugs back atcha*

I really like my vet.... though I cannot say the same of the cancer vet (the vet who treated my cat). Maybe I should have done research on the vet before treatment. And if she didn't convince me that after treatment my cat would have many years left... MAYBE if she told me... that he was only going to live for ONE MONTH after treatment... NO DOUBT, I wouldn't have put him through radiation. MAYBE I should have looked around the office and realized MY CAT was the ONLY cat in there. There were ONLY dogs there. All being treated for cancer.

The question that haunts me is... if I didn't treat him... would he still be alive? OR would he have lived longer than one month after diagnoses? *shrugs*

Thanks again for the hug inthegarden!!! And for your response! Its appreciated!

And KatesMom.... again... thanks for your time!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Unfortunately, with all medical situations, the doc can only give you and educated guess as to what is going to happen. Just like with people. No one can really give you a sure answer. It's like playing Russian Roulette.....do you roll the dice or not? With people, how many people go to the doctor, get a "clean bill of health" and die the next day? It happens more than you think. There are NO guarantees. That is hard, but it's a fact.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread