+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1140Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    I need some advice regarding the no-bark devices they have on market for dogs. Has anyone had success with these, and if yes which system did you use? Ultrasonic or citron spray? I woke up tonight 3 am to our dog barking like crazy outside, I have no clue why. She often barks a little when neighbors leave or arrive in the dark, but she stops when no more people are "sneaking" around in the dark. But this time she just went on and on, so I went outside to see if there was a reason for her barking, but I saw nothing. She is inside the house now and quiet, but my husband really doesn't like the dog spending nights (or anytime for that matter) indoors (he is not home now, so when the cat is gone the mice dance on tables...) therefore keeping her indoors at night will not work in the long run, I need to teach the dog not to bark at all. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Maybe she has gotten the taste of being in doors and now wants to come all the time. You know the old saying "if you have never tasted peppermint you won't ever miss it". She now knows what it is like and she may be saying "hey you forgot me and I want in there with yall". She may be confused now.

Do you have snakes or any animals like possums? That may be it. Nothing is supposed to be in her yard.
    Frankly Jamie we don't give a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettO
    Maybe she has gotten the taste of being in doors and now wants to come all the time. You know the old saying "if you have never tasted peppermint you won't ever miss it". She now knows what it is like and she may be saying "hey you forgot me and I want in there with yall". She may be confused now.

Do you have snakes or any animals like possums? That may be it. Nothing is supposed to be in her yard.
    We have had possums before, that might have been it. Although they seemed to diappear after city got a new trash pick-up system and possums can't usually get to trash anymore even on trashdays. But to think of it, this morning was trash pick up... Well, hopefully she will not bark excessively tonight. But she would be the perfect guard dog, at least what comes to barking, however she most certainly is no attack dog. I remember how funny it looked the other day when (after warning me about unknown man approaching) she simply rolled on the ground in front of the pest control guy trying her best to wag her non existant tail so that her whole body just wiggled
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    well, I just spoke with the vet. Bloodwork came back okay

He is concerned that she's losing weight though. So, I have to go back to feeding her at about 50% of what I gave her yesterday afternoon (so still less than normal). For the next few weeks, no snacks or treats, but regular food. Weight check in 4 weeks. If she's lost more weight or not really gained anything either, he wants to run more tests because of the weight loss.

So I'm happy that nothing urgent showed in the bloodwork. My vet's not normally an alarmist, so I'm going with his gut and hoping that all is okay. There's just this little nagging part of me that says something is up with the weight loss.

I guess we'll see in 4 weeks. I thank you so much for thinking of Abbie. I'll update you all in a couple weeks. I do feel positive
    Hey mare, just thought I'd bump your post and see how little Abbie's doing these days?

Is her weight okay these days? Have you been in touch with the vet? "Enquiring" dog and cat and human minds want to know!!

ScarlettO to the FORT!!! Your little girl's just adorable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    We have had possums before, that might have been it. Although they seemed to diappear after city got a new trash pick-up system and possums can't usually get to trash anymore even on trashdays. But to think of it, this morning was trash pick up... Well, hopefully she will not bark excessively tonight. But she would be the perfect guard dog, at least what comes to barking, however she most certainly is no attack dog. I remember how funny it looked the other day when (after warning me about unknown man approaching) she simply rolled on the ground in front of the pest control guy trying her best to wag her non existant tail so that her whole body just wiggled
    Guard dog: She'll lick you to death.
    The stars at night...are big and bright

This may be an odd question, but does anyone here have outside cats? What made you decide to keep them outside or let them outside? Aren't you afraid they will get hurt or never come home? (reason I ask is I saw a dead cat on the road this morning and it broke my heart).

My boys are both outsiders, and every cat we've had have been so. When Mr. Rattus and I first married, we tried to keep the boys inside but they were just so mournful and neurotic, clawing at the screen and trying to dash out between our legs, that we started taking them out in the yard on a harness and leash. That didn't work out too well as they tended to get tangled up in the huge number of trees and shrubs where we lived at the time, so we decided to let them roam free. Subsequent cats have all been outdoor trained on the leash and we call them in at 8:30 so they don't stay out overnight.

I know that the idea is that an indoor cat is a healthy and long-lived cat, but they're much happier when they can go out and I thought about it from my perspective. I would be much less likely to encounter disease and buses if I never left the house, but how happy would I be. I prefer that my boys have a possibly shorter but much happier life. Plus while they're out there they kill rodents that lurk in the foliage.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    I ran across this pic of my Frosty in the midst of "kid photos" Guess you could say he is a "kid".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Awww

Igotalife Frosty is so pretty......love white cats.

Pom thank for the compliment on my doggy.

Rattus how do you get past the laws about pets running loose? I know in my subdivision if one is found they are picked up and taken to the SPCA...whether they have a collar or not. Then when you go to get them they sock you with a fine.

I know because years ago I had a dog that used to jump my 6' fence. When I got fined I found her a new home. Wondering if the same laws apply to cats as to dogs?
    Frankly Jamie we don't give a damn.

What a pretty kitty!

Igottaneeda that pic is great! Goodness how time flies, didn't you just get Frosty last year as a kitten? (Or has my mind gone wonky as well and I'm remembering wrong?)

+ Reply to Thread