+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I swear....it's been WEEKS since I had my last bird delivery...or, so I thought, and thought the season had finally ended. Today, I reached into my box to get my mail, and came up with a huge fistful of bird nesting!!! WHY ME???? Grubby, little intruders. I can see that we are at a standoff. Jerks!
    Because they LOVE you!

Here a a few more pictures of the reclusive Ms. Trouble
    Attached Images Attached Images
    lopevian, nennie and inthegarden like this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    lopevian - that's very cool that you got to hear Temple Grandin speak. She's a pretty amazing person. The movie they did about her on HBO was excellent.
    I hope to see the movie. I did watch on You Tube :"Temple Grandin - "My Experience with Animals" - Women's Studies Program at Duke Univeristy". I highly recommend it. She is an amazing woman.

Forgot to add that my cousin's class had 95 graduates, 17 men...and 78 women!
    inthegarden likes this.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

Really struggling with the decision to have my dog put down. He's 13/14 for a breed with a 10 year life expectancy. More often than not he can't get up on his own, uses the kitty litter box rather than go 2 stairs to outside, doesn't thump his tail or lift his head when I get home, often goes days without moving from a prone position on the floor, half deaf and blind... but has spells of good health like right now, when he seems just fine... just less and less in the last year. I called the vet to find out the basic info, called my daughter to see if she wants to come home for the event (she does), but I just burst into tears when I think about actually going through with it. Any kind advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Count your blessings!

Oh Gutmutter I am so sorry.I am hopeless at this kind of advice. Your post had me near to tears. If he doesn't want to go outside, and no tail thumping when you come home. Maybe he's trying to tell you, what we cannot.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Thank you Fanny Mare... one of the things I read on the vet's website is that often they mask how much pain they're actually in as a survival instinct. I hate to think of him being in more pain that he actually appears to be on his bad days. I tried to give him a bath last weekend and he moaned and struggled which is not his usual behavior at all. Then, instead of wriggling all over the carpet or lawn, he just laid in a wet heap. I can't stand it! He also has a hard time breathing in hot weather normally, so I don't know how this summer would affect him. I don't want him to suffer, but it is hard to make a life/death decision for a beloved soul.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Thank you Fanny Mare... one of the things I read on the vet's website is that often they mask how much pain they're actually in as a survival instinct. I hate to think of him being in more pain that he actually appears to be on his bad days. I tried to give him a bath last weekend and he moaned and struggled which is not his usual behavior at all. Then, instead of wriggling all over the carpet or lawn, he just laid in a wet heap. I can't stand it! He also has a hard time breathing in hot weather normally, so I don't know how this summer would affect him. I don't want him to suffer, but it is hard to make a life/death decision for a beloved soul.
    When an animal we love is in pain, we know what to do. It's just a very hard decision.You know he will feel worse this summer, he isn't going to get better. He may have better days, or we might like to think they are having them.

Big hugs
    FM
    just1paul likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

My dear sweet Gutmutter. Ask yourself this one question and then make the most selfless decision you can. Does he have QUALITY of life? Does he do what he has always done, but slower? From what you posted it does not seem like it. My heart goes out to you as I fully know the position you are in.
    Critical likes this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Gut, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Letting go and knowing when it's time to let go are the hardest things about having pets. We all know it's one of the things we're signing up for when we bring that little baby home, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Perhaps a little soul searching will help you to decide when it's time. You know there are so many of us here who know what this feels like and we're here for you. I'm glad that your daughter will be there with you when the time comes.
    just1paul likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Gutmutter, I am sad for you. It is a terrible feeling to know that your pet has lost his quality of life. My thoughts are with you.

Oh Gutmutter, I am so sorry that you are having to make this decision.
    I think you have listened to your heart and know what you have to do, but your memories of better times and the question... is it time, is getting in your way.
    It is never easy to let them go but it is the most compassionate choice that we can make for them.
    I'm glad your daughter is going to be with you. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

+ Reply to Thread