+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1265Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Trouble is taking a liking to Joeys Brush......
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

just1paul I am so happy for you and Trouble. You are both lucky to have found each other. I'm sure her owner would be relieved to know that she has found a loving forever home. You're a gem!
    Don't forget to stop in and post every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    Trouble is taking a liking to Joeys Brush......
    I wish mine liked the brush! Luckily, Oliver's fur is so short, he never needs brushing. Suki's got long, fine fur that really needs to be brushed and she HATES the brush. She's getting little mats on her that she won't let me anywhere near. I've tried to get them and she squirms and cries so much that I'm afraid I'll hurt her. Often when she gets a little matted spot, it eventually just falls off, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I think I'm going to have to break down and pay to have her groomed. Maybe a strange situation would have her cowed enough that she would sit there and take it!

I've been trying to clean this arm chair I was given and had a bottle of Folex sitting in the chair. Oliver got up there and was wrestling around with it and managed to loosen the cap. I came home and found that almost the entire bottle had emptied onto the chair. Thank God the cushion is off, so it's not going to be visible if it leaves a mark. Still, that was a lot of Folex! GRRRR! I was surprised if hadn't leaked through the chair and dripped onto the floor. It should be dry sometime in November Little stinker.
    just1paul likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I wish mine liked the brush! Luckily, Oliver's fur is so short, he never needs brushing. Suki's got long, fine fur that really needs to be brushed and she HATES the brush. She's getting little mats on her that she won't let me anywhere near. I've tried to get them and she squirms and cries so much that I'm afraid I'll hurt her. Often when she gets a little matted spot, it eventually just falls off, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I think I'm going to have to break down and pay to have her groomed. Maybe a strange situation would have her cowed enough that she would sit there and take it!

I've been trying to clean this arm chair I was given and had a bottle of Folex sitting in the chair. Oliver got up there and was wrestling around with it and managed to loosen the cap. I came home and found that almost the entire bottle had emptied onto the chair. Thank God the cushion is off, so it's not going to be visible if it leaves a mark. Still, that was a lot of Folex! GRRRR! I was surprised if hadn't leaked through the chair and dripped onto the floor. It should be dry sometime in November Little stinker.
    I love that name! Oliver is one of my dogs name and he is also my problem child.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    just1paul I am so happy for you and Trouble. You are both lucky to have found each other. I'm sure her owner would be relieved to know that she has found a loving forever home. You're a gem!
    Don't forget to stop in and post every now and then.
    Dr. Bennetts (the Vet) is taking pictures of Trouble and a letter I wrote to her (Dr. Bennetts) after adopting Trouble to Troubles former staff person in the nursing home. The woman was a client of Dr, Bennetts for 30 years. I'm not a gem, but thanks. Just trying to do something for a little furry one.
    inthegarden likes this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

Troubles fur is just a bit shorter than Joeys was, and if she takes to it even 50% of how he loved it, I better start lifting weights to strengthen my arms.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

KatesMom, best wishes to Bailey. Hope you are doing okay.

Paul! Congratulations on Trouble! You are an angel!

I went to a graduation ceremony last Friday like none other I've ever attended before. My cousin is now a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. The speaker was a woman named Dr. Temple Grandin, PhD.

From the program:
    Born in 1947, Dr. Temple Grandin was diagnosed with autism in 1950. Despite this diagnosis, she earned her Bachelor's in Psychology from Franklin Pierce College in 1970, a Master's Degree in Animal Sciences from Arizona State University in 1975 and, in 1980, she received her PhD from the University of Illinois in Animal Sciences. Recently, a film starring Claire Danes tells the remarkable story of her life and accomplishments.

Dr. Grandin implemented various innovative developments in the fields of animal welfare, philosophy and neurology, and both those who stand for animal welfare and autism advocacy have found her work to be of the utmost importance.

Dr. Grandin is a firm believer in treating animals in the most humane way possible and is quoted as saying "I think using animals for food is an ethical thing to do, but we've got to do it right. We've got to give those animals a decent life and we've got to give them a painless death. We owe the animal respect."

She talked about how animals don't process "thoughts" but rather "pictures". In order to assure a humane end to food animals, she went to slaughter houses and actually walked the walk that cows and pigs would walk. She would say "that light has to go, this area needs to be widened"...things as such that she knew would frighten the animals. She also spoke of the need for the new Doctors to understand that, as humans, when we get sick and are told we need to have a procedure or treatment regime to hopefully make us better, that we understand what is happening and why it is happening. She said an animal will not understand why any of it is happening. This part made me sad, because I thought of Claire and how, back in 2004, I felt she knew I was trying to make her all better. She didn't. Dr. Grandin told the graduates to always put the quality of the life of the animal first and foremost. It was such an amazing and inspirational talk she gave. At the end of the ceremony, the class took their oath...which I had never heard before:

Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health and welfare, the prevention and relief of animal suffering, the conservation of animal resources, the promotion of public health, and the advancement of medical knowledge.

I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics.

I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence.

It was a very special occasion! I just know that everyone in attendance that has a pet gave them an extra big hug when they got home. Chloe got squeezed but good.
    just1paul, Hyper, KatesMom and 2 others like this.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

Dr. Temple Grandin- she is a remarkable person.I saw her years ago on 60 minutes. She is so in tune with animals- its amazing.

Now I miss my hounds - they will be back Friday
    lopevian, Hyper and inthegarden like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I swear....it's been WEEKS since I had my last bird delivery...or, so I thought, and thought the season had finally ended. Today, I reached into my box to get my mail, and came up with a huge fistful of bird nesting!!! WHY ME???? Grubby, little intruders. I can see that we are at a standoff. Jerks!
    just1paul likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

lopevian - that's very cool that you got to hear Temple Grandin speak. She's a pretty amazing person. The movie they did about her on HBO was excellent.
    lopevian and Hyper like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread