+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1141Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar
    Candor: So, your Jack Russell loves squeaky toys too? Izzie my Rat Terrier couldn't possibly have enough of them. Her mission in life is to disembowel them as fast as she can. She strews cotton batting all over the living room and then proudly looks up as if to say..."ok, you can clean it up now...I'm finished."
    Yep, I've spent many an hour picking cotton guts off the carpet and wondering why I spent $11 on a toy that he could destroy in less than 10 minutes. He's probably like Izzie: Goes straight for the squeak.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I have a 12 year old Shih Tzu, that also rips the squeak out of everything. She had a major operation at 6 years old to remove bladder stones and since I started making her food myself, she is the picture of health. Some people think she is a puppy still. She has moved with us to 4 countries, and I think she has made more friends that me!

Yep,, that old "squeak" seems to just drive her nuttso.

I like you used to spend quite a bit on her toys...just to have her "kill" them in seconds. And since I have apparently trained her ( hehe) to wait patiently each week while I unload the groceries and then you will get a new "baby"..( or maybe she's trained me) I have found a great bin in Walmart. All toys are just 88 cents. And guess what, Izzie doesn't seem to mind the cheaper ones. Imagine that??
    Canuckinchile: How and what do you put in her food? This sounds like an interesting story. Do tell.
    The stars at night...are big and bright

The stones were caused by the salt and other additives that are in commercial dogfood. When in Canada, I could buy her special dog food, but it was impossible when we moved to more remote areas. I cook up a kg. (about 2 lbs) of hamburger, mix in cooked rice (2.5 cups before cooking), then add about a kg. of mixed veggies. I puree it all and she eats a little over a cup each day. She has maintained her weight for the last 6 years and still jumps around and plays like crazy. I am no expert, so this could be totally wrong and I am in no way endorsing it for anyone else but me (or my dog, I should say). She still likes it and hubby on occasion when he sees her food in the fridge says..."If you threw a little soy sauce on the dog's food it would make an okay lunch!"

My dog had bladder stones, too! What a nightmare that's been. After surgery, I put him on a prescription canned diet to control the crystals, which he seems to form really easily. But he got the squirts so bad he went from 23 pounds to 16 pounds. In fact he can't eat any kind of food but dry kibble. So I had to put him back on Science Diet, heavily diluted, and cross my fingers that he's not forming more crystals.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Silky

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I have a Silky Terrier, Dolly. She is 7 years old.
    Thank you Marleybone I think she is pretty cute myself. I had a silky before my Shelby (above) and she lived to be 16. The only difference I can tell between the silky and the yorkie is the coat. They have the same temperament same "human with fur intelligence", and great clowns.

When I take Shelby to Petsmart she stands in the cart with her front feet on the top rung and when she sees someone she hold up her paw like "hey arn't I cute...come and shake my hand and pet me". I swear she brings the whole store to a stop within 5 minutes. I just stand there and shake my head while she performs.
    Frankly Jamie we don't give a damn.

I need some advice regarding the no-bark devices they have on market for dogs. Has anyone had success with these, and if yes which system did you use? Ultrasonic or citron spray? I woke up tonight 3 am to our dog barking like crazy outside, I have no clue why. She often barks a little when neighbors leave or arrive in the dark, but she stops when no more people are "sneaking" around in the dark. But this time she just went on and on, so I went outside to see if there was a reason for her barking, but I saw nothing. She is inside the house now and quiet, but my husband really doesn't like the dog spending nights (or anytime for that matter) indoors (he is not home now, so when the cat is gone the mice dance on tables...) therefore keeping her indoors at night will not work in the long run, I need to teach the dog not to bark at all. Any advice would be appreciated.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

hummmm

maybe she was trying to tell you someone was where they shouldn't be...
    they see and hear what we don't
    usually very good alarm systems
    The stars at night...are big and bright

Along these lines of alarms and devices, I need some advice. Next week, I have a new, very expensive Sofa and Chair being delivered to my house. My cats have whispered to me that they can't wait for a new scratching post like this. I used those large double-sided stickers on the last sofa, and even though they worked well, it certainly took away from the appearance of the sofa with stickers covered in cat hair at the base of it and along the top. This sofa is even lighter in color so I'm looking at better options.

I found this item in SkyMall on the plane the other day: TattleTale, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this item or something like it. Also, my dog seems to be sensitive to high-pitched sounds and I am worried about the effect this item has on him. When our carbon minoxide alarm started chirping to have it's battery changed, our dog started having the shakes and hid in a corner all night. Help!

Update: Just found this item at PetSmart for $12 Less
    Last edited by muggle; 11-09-2005 at 11:25 AM.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

FORT Regular
    I recently learned that pit bulls are beautiful and sweet as hell!!!!

+ Reply to Thread