+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1256Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

When my Gail died, my other gurls seemed a little bewildered, walked around the house looking for her for a few days, and then they were back to normal. I had much more trouble with it than they did.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I love this. Go Oscar!

Cat Shows Serious Hops To Open Freezer | ThePostGame

" We are trying to figure what's more impressive about Oscar the cat in this video.

Is it his super intense game face, staring into the camera like boxers going nose to nose during the pre-fight instructions?

Or is it his insane vertical and commando-style skills in opening the freezer?

In either case, the cat's owners says they have a safety lock on the freezer to keep Oscar from helping himself to fish sticks. (That's the only part of the story we're skeptical about. We would've figured he was making the moves on the ice cream.) "
    Last edited by tango7; 04-07-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Hello everyone. It has been forever since I posted. I have a question that maybe someone can help me with. I have 4 cats, 1 dog. Last month my 2 females and 1 male got "fixed", since then my sweet, sweet female is violently attacking my dog. He has been neutered for years. I have tried to figure out a pattern to it and so far nothing. She seems to have stopped attacking the other cats but that is only if I can keep her from attacking the dog. It is not everyday and as I said there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I am thinking I may have to find her a home with no other animals and that just breaks my heart. It seems like she is always on edge now. Thank you for any ideas or help you may have!
    Last edited by BlondeOne; 04-14-2012 at 02:32 AM. Reason: add some info

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'd talk to the vet, if I were you. My alpha gurl (kitty), sometimes gets on a mission to align everybody (except me) in the house (3 other gurls), but she just does enough to make them run away, and she's satisfied and goes about her own business. A lot of times, me shouting "Hey!" is enough to break up the drama.
    BlondeOne likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My husband took my doggies to the vet last night for their annual check-up (I stayed home with the kiddies). My doggies are 10 and 11, and they are big dogs, so I of course know they are not going to be around for another 10 years. Last night, the vet found a lump in my older doggie's (Bailey) throat. They did a needle biopsy - well two actually - and we are waiting on the results. She has had excess lumps of fat before, which they pretty quickly knew we excess fat lumps - so my gut tells me they already know this is something. As I said before, I know my girls aren't going to be around forever - life span is 12-14 years, but for some reason this hit me like a ton of bricks. When my husband told me last night, it seriously took all my energy not to immediately throw up. Bailey especially - I got her right after I filed for divorce from my first husband and she has been there with me through some of my darkest days. She really saved me, in so many ways. Everyone keeps telling me I just need to take it one step at a time, and I know that is true. But I think inside I know this is the beginning of the end for her. I won't put her through surgeries and procedures just to do it, especially given her age and what her quality of life would probably be. More than anything, I just don't want her to suffer. She is a crazy dog and has definitely driven me nuts at times in the past, but she is such a good dog. She (along with her sister) has been very good and gentle with my kids, even when they, as babies, were not always the gentlest with her. She protects them, plays with them, kisses them and just snuggles up with them. I can't even start thinking about what this will do to them - I am having a hard enough time dealing with MY reality. Honestly, getting her was really the beginning of my life turning around - and everything good that has come since. I really can't wrap my head around the fact that there will be a day, probably sometime soon, where I will come downstairs and she won't be there. And of course then there is my younger dog - who has never lived without her big sister and literally makes herself sick if she is without her sister for even a short period of time (think taking one to the groomers). I know at the end of the day it could be nothing. But I think I just needed to get out what I am thinking. For Bailey - it is so much more than losing a pet. In some ways, it is losing the "person" who saved me. Does that even make sense?

I'm sorry for what you are going through, KatesMom. Blessed are the pups who bring purpose to our lives and blessed are the people who allow them to do so. It's a two-way street, so please keep that in mind as you work through this.

Hubby took our golden to the vet last night and the entire time they were gone, I felt like I was holding my breath. She's 13, the very age we lost our other golden. Children can tell us how they are feeling but our pets often leave us guessing. I feared (seeing she's a trooper who never complains) that there might be something we didn't know about, but she checked out fine. I'll pray for good news for you, too.

This makes tons of sense. I went through the same things with my 16 year old cat. He saw me through raising teens & my daughter's "crazy time" of making bad decisions right after high school. My divorce, moving, buying a house for the first time alone, & my learning to be completely single again & being alone (except for him). I knew he was my friend & companion when I felt all my other "friends" were abandoning me. When I felt lost & helpless, he was there to snuggle me, follow me around & treat me like he cared. I confided in him & he always listened & looked me in the eyes to let me know he cared. Even if he didn't understand the words, I think he understood the feelings.
    After I found my own footing again we fell into a happy pattern that always kept me laughing. His shenanigans with the dog were always good for a good laugh.
    After 16 years, it was like losing a child I had raised who had been my best friend & confidant. When I had to have him put down I felt like I had just murdered someone who always trusted me.

They become "people" to us. It's not like losing a posession. I think I grieved him more than I did my marriage. Definitely more than I did my husband.

We're all in this boat together. Don't feel alone in your feelings.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

There's all kinds of advice that 'could' be proffered at this time KatesMom, but why bother. You clearly love and care for Bailey so I'm sure you will do what is best for her. Just keep remembering she was there for you in your darkest hours, and now it's time for you to be there for her, no matter how painful it is to you. If you do that, no matter what you decide, it will be just and kind.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

It makes sense to me KatesMom.

And to me Katesmom.I have tried to reply three times, I get all choked up. I have felt like you do.I still think about my special boy , even though I have other dogs. The one that saved me, will never be forgotten

I am thinking of Bailey and you.

FM
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread