+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

We had every kind of reptile when I was growing up and the lizards were the easiest. They all eat live food, so she should be prepared to deal with that. Lizards generally eat meal worms, wax worms (they can be kept in a container in the fridge) or crickets. Snakes eat mice. I know I couldn't deal with those cute little mice being eaten by the snakes my brother had. It's still not something I'd be willing to do. Also, snakes can get large - although not a king snake - and then you have to decide what to do with them. I think your husband's dislike of snakes is probably a good thing in this case!

From what I've read, bearded dragons are good first lizards and are pretty hardy. We had anoles, blue bellies, horned toads and several other species and I have to say, they're nice, quiet pets, but they aren't terribly interactive. They rarely develop an individual personality. The smaller lizards tend to be fine on meal or wax worms and that's the easiest food. In my experience, crickets (much like hamsters) spend their entire lives trying to get out of whatever container they're in. If you're not careful, you could have a house full of maturing crickets. They generally eat the young ones and those don't chirp, but they eventually do and you don't want that to happen when they're loose in your house! Believe me, I speak from experience on that!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'd go with a snake over a lizard. I LOVED snakes as a child and my favorite was a king snake. Just the right size. I'll never forget my disappointment when my teacher wasn't happy that I brought it in for show and tell.
    Count your blessings!

I love snakes too...Crit, a couple of the owners said they fed their pets freeze-dried rodents and insects. Did your family ever try that? Or would the reptile possibly reject non-live food?

As it happens, there is a reptile show in a couple of weeks. The people at the mall today were handing out flyers (some of them were breeders). We plan to go. I'm kind of hoping that my husband might change his mind when he sees how awesome these pets can be. I always wanted a snake but it was out of the question when I was a kid.

Thanks, guys.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

We got my son a lizard (anole) when he was young, but he lost interest pretty quickly. I remember being mesmerised, though. Spent waaaaay too much time watching it. But he never handled it the way I used to handle my snakes. His two sisters would have run away from home if I'd gotten him a snake. Wimps.
    Count your blessings!

AJane - we never did freeze dried food. I don't know if it wasn't an option or if we just didn't do it. I think some animals probably would reject dead food, but I don't think that was a factor in my family. We had garter snakes and a king snake and they were good. We never actually bought the snakes - my brother would just bring them home from the park. I think he'd just eventually release them again because I don't ever remember any of them dying.

Gut - I think anoles are pretty sensitive and they really don't like being handled very much. They're cheap and in so many pet stores, but they're not very good pets, especially for young kids, who seem to want to hold them a lot.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I agree, which is why I'm voting for snakes. We also got ours from the wild and returned them eventually. I never had a heated aquarium with all the bells and whistles.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always wondered where reptile lovers came from. Sounds like they are born!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think so; i remember being fascinated by them as a really little kid.
    I am older than Critical, but I still don't think anyone was feeding freozen prey items when she would have been a teenager either. Honestly, I had quite a few snakes and dom't buy the excuse that "the mouse/rat will hurt the snake" or whatever. I think the push to frozen is two things--people are more squeamish about the natural way of letting the reptile kill the prey and b0 the people selling the frozen mice know how to make more money when they see an opportuniuty, When I dropped a rast in my snake's container, it was rare for it to last more than 30 seconds, but on the couple of occasions it did happen I'd remove the rat for a couple of days, not leave them in there to possibly nibble on the snake.

I thought Iguanas were vegetarian--am I wrong? I know it's rare among reptiles, but a few, like box turtles, eat a little of everything.

Oh, Oh, another cool lizard to check at the show would be any of several species of Chameleon; they move slow, do really cool things with their eyes and hands, and change colors!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Years ago we had a lizard and I remember feeding him crickets and some types of veggies. My daughter had a small snake but I can't remember what it ate. I would be too squemish(Spelling) to feed them mice even though I dislike them.

Yesterday my husband called me on my cell because I was at my friends trailer for the weekend. He informed my my Katiegirl had to be put down. She was my old neighbours welsh corgi but I always watched her if she had to go away or she went on vacation and I would always laugh because Katie never wanted to go back home with her when she came to pick her up. I don't know who cried harder...me or her. It is so hard knowing that an animal you loved is gone and you never had the chance to say goodbye. I spent today wondering stupid things like "did Katie wonder where I was?" I know it is silly or to some people it is but it has just been bothering me so much today.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    Honestly, I had quite a few snakes and don't buy the excuse that "the mouse/rat will hurt the snake".
    I volunteered at the veterinary hospital of the local zoo ages ago. Spent one Sunday afternoon holding the business end of a large indigo snake while the vet stitched together numerous holes compliments of a rodent who got hungry before the snake did. Poor snake looked like a garden soaker hose.

My cats are carnivores, so I feed them rodents and small birds too, but thawed.

+ Reply to Thread