+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

So sorry to hear about Gustav, Newf. My thoughts are with you
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thank you everyone for the hugs and sympathy. It helps soften the blow of losing my best friend of 12 wonderful years. As near as I can tell, he died peacefully in his sleep. I've been thinking back over the fun times--the dog shows, his puppy antics that drove Bjorn crazy, his calm grace as a big brother to the Newfs that I've fostered, his willingness to do any silly thing that my ex-wife's twins asked him to do . . . Good times!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I'm sorry to hear about Gustav I know you miss him terribly.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    I can hardly write this but I need to. My youngest granddaughter has had some respiratory issues and her mother always says that it's worse after she's been on her visits with us. I just thought it was another way for her to try to keep her from us, but it has gotten worse. At first we thought it might be our cat so my son took him for awhile, but that made no difference. Now, we are pretty sure it's our dog, Roxie. She is a Pug and sheds a lot. Last week was the first time that Baileigh was allowed to stay for anytime longer than the weekend, but she ended up going home on Wednesday because of her allergies. I have a friend who has agreed to take Roxie and we will see if that makes a difference. She got her yesterday. Watching that little dog leave was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I know that she will have a good home with my friend and I will still get to see her. We can even have her back if it turns out that Baileigh is allergic to something else, but it's been a rough couple of days. I've been putting it off, but I finally had to let her go. I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks cleaning, vacuuming and shampooing everything and then see if it makes a difference on their next visit. It will help to keep busy too, but right now I can't stop crying.
    I am so sorry to hear about this and would just like to offer some suggestions, since you deserve to have the joy of havig your dog around. As others have suggested, it would be good if an allergy test was done to determine for sure what the trigger is, since it may not be the dog itself causing the issues. Also, it may not even be an allergy and it could be something else entirely, so getting a doctor's help is good advice if the mother is receptive to that. I can understand that it may be difficult to approach this type of suggestion with the mother and it got me thinking that maybe the mother is just using the dog as an excuse is another possibility. It sounds like a tough predicament to be in, and I feel very bad for you, and am trying to put myself in your place. One thing I would do no matter what is I would try to find some other solution to keep my dog and also get to visit with my grandchild. There would have to be a way to have both. Even it ends up being that the dog's hair, etc. is the cause, I would try pursuing maybe keeping the dog in another room during visitation periods. I am sure the grandchild would never want you to get rid of your dog either, and she would probably be very upset if she found out that she was the reason you had to give up your dog.

As others have suggested, once it is determined by a doctor, maybe there is even some medicine that can be taken before visits. Surely the mother and the child would be glad to determine what the true causes are, since as others have mentioned, she may encounter this issue again when visiting other people, places, etc, so it is important for them to find out the true reasons before preventative actions can be taken.

Sincerely, I do hope you can have both, and get to keep your dog and also have visitation with your grandchild. I do wish you the best and hope you can work with the mother to come up with a reasonable solution that makes everybody happy + healthy. I do realize this is a very tough situation, and if I was in that situation, I would surely try to figure out a way to have both. There has to be a way. Good Luck to you. Sincerely.
    just1paul likes this.

Newfherder, So sorry to hear about Gustav. I'm glad you had 12 wonderful years. My Yorkie is getting up there in years now, so I am slowly beginning to prepare myself for the day when I will face the same. They bring such joy to our lives. As you said, we can remember the great times. The good thing is those joyful memories can never be taken away from us. Hang in there.

Aww, this is so touching.

Kitties Present: "I want..."

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    Aww, this is so touching.

Kitties Present: "I want..."
    Victor has that video on his Face book page. He says, I want to adopt all of them!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Cute Kitten in a Basket Will Make Your Heart Explode

Possibly the cutest baby kitty I've seen in years...
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Count your blessings!

Oh, blech! Some people have too much time on their hands! I've seen sweaters knitted with dog hair and it's just odd-looking - nothing else is the color of Golden Retriever fur. Plus, I wonder if you smell like wet dog when it rains!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread