+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    Yes, and as a groomer I did the clipping, too.
    I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. I have gotten my cat shaved and he looks so cute. Like a little lion (he is orange).

My mother-in-law shaved her cat, and I think he was embarassed. I don't know why they left little poofs on the tail, feet and ruff, but the cat looked ridiculous. However, I am sure he felt better in the heat of summer. I still laugh thinking about that cat, because if looks could have killed, we would have all been dead. Not a happy kitty for a couple of days post shave.

How old is everyone's pet? My cat Ariel will be 16 years old in the spring. I got him as a birthday present from my best friend when I turned 17 and he has been with me ever since.

Shaved cats: Yes, we shaved Spot last year. He was a big ol' hairy Maine Coon who used to sleep on his back in the grass, so by the end of spring every year he was just a mass of knots which brushing just would not get out. I tried cutting them out, but it was like he was made of one solid mass of felt. We were so pleased with the results, and Spot was pretty happy himself (little decorative puffs notwithstanding),that we would have done it again this year if poor Spotty hadn't died last winter.

Age of cats: Harvey (best cat ever), our black & white, is maybe ten years old. We're not sure because he was a stray that moved in with us about nine years ago. We figured he was about a year old but he was starving at the time so it wasn't really possible to make a good estimate of his age. Finley (pictured left) turned 1 year old on October 16. We got him from a shelter who rescued him from a pet store. Apparently whomever had adopted him initially wasn't prepared to deal with the liveliness of a kitten and just dumped him back at the store after a couple of days (idiot).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus
    We got him from a shelter who rescued him from a pet store. Apparently whomever had adopted him initially wasn't prepared to deal with the liveliness of a kitten and just dumped him back at the store after a couple of days (idiot).

It's a shame when adults don't realize or stop to think of the lifelong commitment that's entailed when they adopt or buy a pet. But Finley's a luck fella
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus
    Shaved cats: Yes, we shaved Spot last year. He was a big ol' hairy Maine Coon who used to sleep on his back in the grass, so by the end of spring every year he was just a mass of knots which brushing just would not get out. I tried cutting them out, but it was like he was made of one solid mass of felt. We were so pleased with the results, and Spot was pretty happy himself (little decorative puffs notwithstanding),that we would have done it again this year if poor Spotty hadn't died last winter.
    We have to shave my long-haired older cat once every year or two. She's just gotten plain lazy about grooming and get horrendous mats (she won't allow anyone near her with a brush). We used to take her to the groomer, but my husband decided he wanted to try doing it himself, so he bought a home barber set and managed to pin her down. He gave her a semi-lion's cut - didn't do her underside as he didn't want to nick her nipples (now there's a great line for that old out-of-context thread). She was pissed for a couple of days, as per usual when she gets a haircut, but at least she's free of mats.

However, unless you're super-confident with the clipper, I would let a groomer do the shaving.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itravel94
    How old is everyone's pet? My cat Ariel will be 16 years old in the spring. I got him as a birthday present from my best friend when I turned 17 and he has been with me ever since.
    My dog Dolly (Silky Terrier) is 7, and Katie (my Avatar) is 2.

FORT Fogey
    How old is everyone's pet?
    Good question, istravel94!!! The details on The Pomeranians are:

1. my wonderful pal "Powder" (the Pomeranian who's really an American Eskimo) is 12 years old and I've had her since she was 8 weeks old;

2. my little boo-boo "Tuxedo" (the only true Pomeranian of my bunch) is 3 years old and I've had him since he was 2 years old; and

3. my newly-adopted boy Smudge (the Pomeranian who is my former "Weekend Cat" who was recently granted "Full-Time Cat" status by my wonderful landlord) is about 6 years old. He's a former stray so it's hard to say, but the little buggah's been in my life for almost 4 years now (he lived as an "office cat" in an office in my neighborhood).

Both of my cats: (Cats have STAFF, Dogs have masters)
    Ms. Mona Lott is a gray striped 11 or 12 year old Tabby, I adopted her from a FORMER friend of mine who moved and is one of those people who "discards" critters instead of finding someplace to move that will take them, she was slated to go to the humane society when I intervened.

Mr. Joseph "Joey" Gerard is a black & white boy who is 9 years old stands 12-13" high and about 24" to 28" long, weighs in at 18 pounds and is the biggest attention craving bugger....

I have no clue how old one of my cats is, the vet's best guess is that she's 9-10 years old.....found Spooki on a Halloween night when I was moving out of my apartment and she was malnourished and had apparently had kittens recently (since her teats were full of milk). Never was able to find any kittens ANYWHERE near where I found her, but I've had her for 5 years now.

My boy, Midnight, is 6....my ex-mother-in-law found him beside the road near her office where his momma was run over by a car (in fact each lady in the office took in a kitten to care for). When she went on an extended vacation he came to stay with us and got along so well that she had us keep him for good.

+ Reply to Thread