+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I can hardly write this but I need to. My youngest granddaughter has had some respiratory issues and her mother always says that it's worse after she's been on her visits with us. I just thought it was another way for her to try to keep her from us, but it has gotten worse. At first we thought it might be our cat so my son took him for awhile, but that made no difference. Now, we are pretty sure it's our dog, Roxie. She is a Pug and sheds a lot. Last week was the first time that Baileigh was allowed to stay for anytime longer than the weekend, but she ended up going home on Wednesday because of her allergies. I have a friend who has agreed to take Roxie and we will see if that makes a difference. She got her yesterday. Watching that little dog leave was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I know that she will have a good home with my friend and I will still get to see her. We can even have her back if it turns out that Baileigh is allergic to something else, but it's been a rough couple of days. I've been putting it off, but I finally had to let her go. I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks cleaning, vacuuming and shampooing everything and then see if it makes a difference on their next visit. It will help to keep busy too, but right now I can't stop crying.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Oh no, I hope it's not Roxie! If she does do better on the next visit, maybe they could still have a test done, becauseyou never know. It could even be a household product you have used in the past, or something like that...I hope.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Oh, Lil Bit. I'm feel so badly for you. I hope it isn't Roxie for your sake.

How kind of your friend to take Roxie. At least you know she has a good home and you can visit her.

Oh no! I do hope it is not Roxie. Maybe it could be your detergent, soaps etc. I would try that first and bring Roxie home.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    I can hardly write this but I need to. My youngest granddaughter has had some respiratory issues and her mother always says that it's worse after she's been on her visits with us. I just thought it was another way for her to try to keep her from us, but it has gotten worse. At first we thought it might be our cat so my son took him for awhile, but that made no difference. Now, we are pretty sure it's our dog, Roxie. She is a Pug and sheds a lot. Last week was the first time that Baileigh was allowed to stay for anytime longer than the weekend, but she ended up going home on Wednesday because of her allergies. I have a friend who has agreed to take Roxie and we will see if that makes a difference. She got her yesterday. Watching that little dog leave was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I know that she will have a good home with my friend and I will still get to see her. We can even have her back if it turns out that Baileigh is allergic to something else, but it's been a rough couple of days. I've been putting it off, but I finally had to let her go. I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks cleaning, vacuuming and shampooing everything and then see if it makes a difference on their next visit. It will help to keep busy too, but right now I can't stop crying.
    I am so sorry to hear this. I had to get rid of my two cats because of the same thing, my daughter has horrible cat allergies.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Lil Bit I hope it isn't Roxie. .
    Has her mom had her tested? It may not be Roxie, but a build up of several different allergies.

Lil Bit, I'm so sorry! I agree with the others about having her tested, if the mom will allow it. Might find out it was even something as simple as the shampoo Roxie uses (remember that Brady Bunch episode). Another suggestion, if it's even possible - I am very allergic to cats and my SIL has 4 of them. We spend a weekend up at their cottage every summer. She just makes sure to really clean the cottage before I come - and she keeps the cats upstairs for the weekend (I never go up there). I have never had a problem in the 6 years we have been going up there. Just wondering if there is a way to make it possible to have both?

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am doing daily battle with a stupid little bird who is determined to build a nest in my mailbox. The letters M-A-I-L are routed into the front of the box, and the bird is using these holes for entering and exiting. No matter how many times I throw the gathered grass out of the box, it's all nicely replaced the next day. I've not seen the stupid bird, but this is not the first time that I've battled a bird for my mailbox. There was one that used to sit in my driveway and give me the evil eye when I'd clear out the nestings. This one is laying low! Like the way I would deal with a kid with bad behavior, I Refuse To Lose!!!

Stupid bird.
    Prhoshay - I had a similar experience with martins, who apparently return to where they were born to nest. We had a period of about 48 hours where every hour we would go out with the hose and wash away what they had built in the hour. Like I said, it lasted about 2 days (and we had to do it morning and night), but then we apparently broke the cycle - or she had to deliver so she gave up, because they are gone and we haven't seen them since. Hope this helps.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think that the birds have pretty much given up. There were just a couple of sprigs in there yesterday. Haven't checked today. "Nobody" has tried to nest in there for several years.

Thank you for the suggestion! I still haven't seen the perpetrator.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Lil Bit I hope it isn't Roxie. .
    Has her mom had her tested? It may not be Roxie, but a build up of several different allergies.
    There's absolutely no way of knowing what the child is allergic to unless she is tested, and it is to her benefit to have her tested. In fact, if she has not been tested, it's inappropriate to say she's allergic to anything. Once she is tested, and it's determined what is triggering her allergies, that's the time to be thinking about how to handle it but not before then.

She needs to be tested, because if it's not allergies that's causing her distress, then something else is, and it needs to be addressed. Assuming someone should give up a pet simply because it might be the cause of a child's respiratory distress is inappropriate, because it's not fair to the child or the pet. Even if she doesn't react when the pug isn't there doesn't mean a thing--as others have pointed out, it could have to do with a product used on the pet. But beyond that, there are guessing games going on here with regard to what the child is allergic to when a series of simple tests that involve very little pain (a scratch test is not that big a deal and it's the second step anyway, not the first) could clear the whole matter up.

I have allergies. I've been through the tests. They're not invasive, and you get the results immediately. And because I'm a dog owner, they tested me for both dog and cat hair, even though it was pretty apparent that my allergies were seasonal just because of when I was reacting. In fact, I'm not allergic to dog or cat hair; it's particular seasonal grasses that set me off (plus cigarette smoke and dust mites, which are pretty much a given if you have allergies at all). In addition, there are treatments available for people who are allergic to dog hair (and it's the dander anyway, not the hair). I have a colleague who has such allergies and lives quite happily with three dogs who shed. Her allergies can be controlled with a pill, just like mine can be. Not everyone's that lucky, but some are. And surely your dog is not the only one with whom the child comes in contact, so she might feel better generally if such treatment were appropriate for her.

Furthermore, even if the child is allergic to dog dander, she may very well be allergic to other things as well. Again, she needs to be tested so she can receive appropriate treatment. It's amazing what the right prescription can do for the quality of your life if you do have allergies. Other non-medical changes--treating carpets for dust mites, using hypo-allergenic bedding, washing all bedding (including comforters) regularly--can also do wonders. But the best line of action for anyone with allergies is impossible to pursue unless it's first medically determined exactly what that person's triggers are--and just eliminating what might be causing a reaction is not going to do that for certain.

She needs to see an allergist, period. Is there any reason she hasn't been taken to one prior to your daughter-in-law deciding she shouldn't be allowed to stay at your house for long periods of time because of your pets?

+ Reply to Thread