+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Gut! Oh my, I would have been scared out my wits! I'd be the one running off!

PhoneGirl: I know what you mean. I have an almost 5yr old Shih Tzu who I felt needed a friend/sister. I got Sophie in January, (after seeing a picture then visiting her, I was hooked) she's going on 7months, full of puppy! Once he got used to her, they played non stop whenever she was out of her crate. She just adores him. She's so affectionate, she gives him little kisses when we are walking, or if I'm giving training lessons with treats, she immediately kisses him after she's had her turn. Its adorable. The last couple of weeks, it seems the novelty has worn off. He still plays with her but not as much. After our morning walks he always played with her while I was getting ready for work. Now, he's fast asleep when I get out of the shower, and she's laying around staring at him. I thought, oh brother, do I need a 3rd one??? eeek!

BTW: she won't go up or down stairs yet. I'm sure Louie was younger than 7 mths (but I can't remember) when he started going up and down. She went up once, took me by surprise about a month ago, and has never done it again. She'll go up and down two steps off my front porch, but not the 4 going up to my mainfloor from the entrance.

002.jpg100_2022.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I visited the kittens today. Three of the four of them already are buddies with the dogs in the house, so I'm strongly considering it. My older cats, at the very most, will ignore the kitten but since the kitten is being socialized with dogs, I think it might work. The kittens need to get a little older before they leave their temporary home so I have time to decide. They were SO cute and tiny!
    Gutmutter, that's very cool to see bears at a yard sale!

Please save one of these babies...it will keep pup happy and you might be surprised that the old kitties will enjoy the baby too, at least after they get used to the idea. And yes, they are getting up there--which is why I'm here today really. I am feeling very, very bad. I need to take BooBoo to the vet for the last time and am sitting here trying to ignore that I had made up my mind last night. She is limping horribly from arthritis (nothing helps) and her poor eyes are swollen shut again, meaning I have to put the drops she hates in there. This has been happening more often, and even with her medicine we've had to give her enemas often lately, and obviously that's not fun for anyone. The arthritis is the worst thing, really, it hurts her so much she has stopped coming up onto the bed to sleep.
    Obviously I still have the 2 young kitties (need to put in new pics!) and Pandora is, we hope, pregnant, but it almost makes me feel worse, that BooBoo won't get to snoogle the kittens. I catch her doing this whenever she thinks I won't see her...
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

If the quality of life is not what Boo Boo is used to, the most SELFLESS thing you can do for her is to say goodbye so she has no more pain or suffering. My heart goes out to you.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I know, but I have the newer kids, but even though I love them BooBoo is special. . Worse yet, Doc had an emergency house call that took most of the day so it has to wait until tomorrow afternoon. But BooBoo is having oner of her better days today, been purring a lot for me which has not been going on much lately. And her eyes are not as painful. Still, it always come back, and the arthritis never goes.
    Thanks, friend.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

queen, I am so sorry for what you and BooBoo are going through. BE sure to keep a more diligent eye on YOUR health. At a time like this, it is easy to let things go with ourselves.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I'm so sorry about BooBoo, queenb. It's so hard to see our beloved pets suffering but saying goodbye is so difficult. Hugs to you.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me make heads or tails of a strange situation with my dog Cheyenne, that happened today. We adopted her a year ago in January as a sheltie rescue but we think she is probably collie mix as she is 65 pounds! Anyway, she isn't really a timid dog but she had the strangest reaction to a new toy I brought home today. Her favorite toy to play with is a rope toy. She loves to tug and tug and growl until I finally am able to get it away from her and throw it. And she rarely tires of playing that game. She also likes tennis balls, is good about retrieving them but doesn't quite understand when I say drop and I don't like prying it out of her mouth to throw it again. We don't give her plush toys b/c she has shredded them to pieces in the past.

So, today I come home with a yellow rubber squeaker toy shaped like a donut ring. It has little bumps on top and is very lightweight. I threw it and she went after it in the kitchen. Then she sat down and made these little crying or whimpering sounds. Now mind you, this is not a dog who makes those little "I'm happy to see you" whimpers, like my late dog did. Instead, when you come home she greets you by almost knocking you over and barking and barking at you. I have only ever heard that little cry from her one or two other times. She was looking out the 2nd story bedroom window and saw the cat from next door in my yard. I don't know if she had ever interacted with a cat before. But she wanted to meet that cat badly and cried and cried. I let her out and went outside, figuring the cat would be faster than her if she didn't want to play. But the cat has 3 dog housemates and is used to dogs. However, the cat just sat there and didn't even sniff Cheyenne. Cheyenne was whimpering but the cat wouldn't engage in play. Cheyenne even did that little bow down with front paws down as if to say "come on, play with me." Finally the cat scampered away.

So, my question is this. Is it possible that my dog thinks the squeaker toy is alive? I know it seems absurd but why would she have that reaction? She did run after it several times this afternoon and plopped down next to it and cried. Also, and this is really odd, right after the first time she saw the squeaker my husband went to take her for a walk, the first of the day. She loves her walks. He went outside with her, got to the street, and she pulled him back to the house. She didn't want to go out. She jumped back on the couch with her squeaker donut. She didn't do anything with it, just sat with it. I don't know what to think but has anyone heard of anything so odd?

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    I know, but I have the newer kids, but even though I love them BooBoo is special.
    I'm sorry to hear this Queenie. I know how you feel.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 06-22-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post

So, my question is this. Is it possible that my dog thinks the squeaker toy is alive? I know it seems absurd but why would she have that reaction? She did run after it several times this afternoon and plopped down next to it and cried. Also, and this is really odd, right after the first time she saw the squeaker my husband went to take her for a walk, the first of the day. She loves her walks. He went outside with her, got to the street, and she pulled him back to the house. She didn't want to go out. She jumped back on the couch with her squeaker donut. She didn't do anything with it, just sat with it. I don't know what to think but has anyone heard of anything so odd?
    I agree that is odd behavior. Since Cheyenne is a rescue, do you think it's possible the toy has brought back memories of her life before she came to you? Have you tried putting the toy away somewhere to see how she reacts? I'd be curious to know if she would be upset if it suddenly disappeared.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My eldest gurl, Miss Sashay, was grooming her rear paw. I looked at her, and said, "Toesucker!" She stopped what she was doing and, unblinkingly, stared at me for a solid 15 seconds with a look that asked, "Did you really have to go there?" These critters are hilarious!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

queenb, I'm so sorry to read about BooBoo.

+ Reply to Thread