+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I'm not familiar with this product, but I read that it is available on both the East Coast and the West Coast:

Bravo! is recalling its Bravo! Pig Ears Chews in the 50-count bulk box of oven-roasted pig ears because they could be contaminated with salmonella.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I used to work with a guy who liked to eat pig ears that he had roasted (I guess) in the oven. Never heard of such!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I need someone to tell me I'm crazy for even considering this.... I've had 2 cats for a bit more than 9 years (they're 17 and 15, so they're pretty much set in their ways) and one dog (a bit more than a year old, with a LOT of puppy still in him) whom I adopted about 3 months ago. The pup is still in full-on shredding mode (good way to get rid of junk mail and furniture I didn't want anymore ) but it's still a house divided. The cats aren't scared of the puppy, but just don't like him.

Monday I hear from a couple that I'm friends with that someone has dropped off a box of kittens to the gal's mother's house. Said mother has an elderly and blind cat (which is worse than my 2 cats' elder care issues by far) and other pets, so my friends take in the box of kittens to hope to find someone to take them or foster or whatever. The couple already has four cats and two dogs. I laughed and said they were going to be an eight cat, two dog household. Then they text me pics of the kittens. I mention the situation to my mother and she suggests I take in a kitten to bridge the gap between the pup, who wants *so much* to be friends with my cats with my 2. At first I think this is insane, but then I hear from my friends that the kittens are cool with their dogs.

So, I'm thinking about it. I might go out to see the kittens this weekend. I dunno. I think I might turn into "crazy pet lady" with three cats and a dog and featured on an A&E special.

A kitten might not bridge the gap - your old cats probably won't like a kitten either - but at least your pup would have a playmate!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I used to work with a guy who liked to eat pig ears that he had roasted (I guess) in the oven. Never heard of such!
    It's a Southern thing. They sell them (along with feet, tails and snouts) in the grocery stores here.
    At one time you ate the whole animal. Couldn't afford to throw any out. So what was once necessity, became habit, then tradition.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I need someone to tell me I'm crazy for even considering this.... I've had 2 cats for a bit more than 9 years (they're 17 and 15, so they're pretty much set in their ways) and one dog (a bit more than a year old, with a LOT of puppy still in him) whom I adopted about 3 months ago. The pup is still in full-on shredding mode (good way to get rid of junk mail and furniture I didn't want anymore ) but it's still a house divided. The cats aren't scared of the puppy, but just don't like him.

Monday I hear from a couple that I'm friends with that someone has dropped off a box of kittens to the gal's mother's house. Said mother has an elderly and blind cat (which is worse than my 2 cats' elder care issues by far) and other pets, so my friends take in the box of kittens to hope to find someone to take them or foster or whatever. The couple already has four cats and two dogs. I laughed and said they were going to be an eight cat, two dog household. Then they text me pics of the kittens. I mention the situation to my mother and she suggests I take in a kitten to bridge the gap between the pup, who wants *so much* to be friends with my cats with my 2. At first I think this is insane, but then I hear from my friends that the kittens are cool with their dogs.

So, I'm thinking about it. I might go out to see the kittens this weekend. I dunno. I think I might turn into "crazy pet lady" with three cats and a dog and featured on an A&E special.
    It worked for me when we got Amelia in December. The older cat tolerates her, but she LOVES the dog. He's a little leery of her from her kitten claw days, but he adores her because she loves him so much. I find them curled up together all the time.
    And not to be insensitive, but at 15 and 17, your elder cats aren't going to be around for a lot of more years.
    Count your blessings!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I visited the kittens today. Three of the four of them already are buddies with the dogs in the house, so I'm strongly considering it. My older cats, at the very most, will ignore the kitten but since the kitten is being socialized with dogs, I think it might work. The kittens need to get a little older before they leave their temporary home so I have time to decide. They were SO cute and tiny!

I went to a yard sale today and ran into two HUGE black bears. The woman had gone inside because it was raining and they were shiffing up the screen tent where all the stuff was. I don't know who was more surprised - me or the bears, but they ran off into the woods. Yikes!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I went to a yard sale today and ran into two HUGE black bears. The woman had gone inside because it was raining and they were shiffing up the screen tent where all the stuff was. I don't know who was more surprised - me or the bears, but they ran off into the woods. Yikes!
    EEEK!! But cool.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Oh! Do it! Adopt the kitten!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread