+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

FORT Regular

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie View Post
    I heard you can replace some of their food with green beans or plain pureed pumpkin so your dog will still get that full feeling. Maybe you could ask your vet if that would be O.K. Also instead of walking for 30 minutes at a time, you could try taking shorter walks more often during the day if your schedule permits.
    Well yea that's actually what i do, 2/ 15min walks a day, sometimes i'd run with him too, he seems to love cutting loose. I've tried limiting his food, but damn it's breaking my heart he just seems so hungry.
    Now again i've been diligent with his food for 10 years, 10 years of just iams dog food, no table scraps whatsoever and just dog approved treats. But man ever since they called him a "senior dog" my heart just drop to the floor when i see him limp around (cuz of his bum leg, he'll limp when he gets up from the floor or after he slept), and i've reduced his food 1/4 less and he just looks at the bowl thinking more food will appear.
    I think i'll just have a 60lb dog, the vet said it was ok anyway, i just don't want this 10lbs to hinder him really, but i don't want him looking hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Garlic for Fleas? I searched for this in the forum but didn't find it, so I'll assume it's not been addressed. We have four cats and two dogs. My vet is a personal friend of ours, and he's admitted they make most of their profit on product sales (dog food, flea/tick remedies, health/nutrition, etc.) For a while I'd felt badly because I just couldn't afford to buy the flea/tick products from him for 6 animals! Even buying them online (with his prescription/approval - don't get that) was a LOT of money! I'd buy those Hartz and Adams flea collars and monthly drop treatments, but they never seemed to work. I asked my vet friend if perhaps the fleas and ticks had developed an immunity to the products on the market, and know what? He said yes! Made me feel better and not feel better all at the same time, you know? In years past, I've read that (like vampires ) fleas canNOT stand garlic and that it can deter fleas (maybe ticks, too) to sprinkle garlic powder over their food. I can't do this because they all eat dried food, and it's hard to measure, so I started giving garlic bread to our pets - they LOVE it, of course I can't scientifically prove this, but it sure does seem that we're seeing less fleas then we ever did in the past. Comments, knowledge, opinions? Thanks
    SugarMama Please STOP!

The Liliaceae family of plants contain the Lilium (lilies) (Easter lily etc.) and the Allium spp. group. This family of plants is TOXIC to both cats and dogs. Garlic, onion, leek, shallot, chive are all members of the Allium spp. group. You can go to the ASPCA Poison Control Center website, there you will find a list of all the known plants that are toxic to our pets. I don't mean to sound harsh, I just don't want your pets to become ill.

For my pets, I alternate from year to year the flea and tick control products. This seems to work, and the fleas and ticks don't build up a resistance to one chemical. I know the Vet products are expensive, but they (in my opinion) are safer and if one of my pets has a reaction my Vet knows how to treat it.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 06-06-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    SugarMama Please STOP!

The Liliaceae family of plants contain the Lilium (lilies) (Easter lily etc.) and the Allium spp. group. This family of plants is TOXIC to both cats and dogs. Garlic, onion, leek, shallot, chive are all members of the Allium spp. group. You can go to the ASPCA Poison Control Center website, there you will find a list of all the known plants that are toxic to our pets. I don't mean to sound harsh, I just don't want your pets to become ill.

For my pets, I alternate from year to year the flea and tick control products. This seems to work, and the fleas and ticks don't build up a resistance to one chemical. I know the Vet products are expensive, but they (in my opinion) are safer and if one of my pets has a reaction my Vet knows how to treat it.
    Wow, darned near blew me away, but it got my attention Thanks for the advice!

I'll look into it. What I'd read was a couple of years ago...can't remember where. My babies are fine, perhaps a small amount won't hurt. But I'll double check. Thanks for your concern, seriously!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I did some googling on that topic as well. This is what I've found. So who knows. They claim garlic being toxic is a myth.

Every text that I have researched on herbal health which mentions pet care has recommended it, especially for its incredible anti-parasitic and anti-septic properties. In my own experience, garlic has also benefited pets with cancer, diabetes, liver, heart and kidney disease, uncontrollable staph infections and a host of other conditions, as well as been a staple in my recommended preventative protocols. It has been widely used by hundreds of thousands of pet owners with no reported negative side-effects - except its effect on their animal's breath - until now. This is the point; garlic has suddenly become a "suspect," not proven the culprit. Do not let mass hysteria determine a holistic care program for your dog or cat. Follow hundreds of years of "proven use" rather than recent "suspicions" in regards to this miracle herb, as garlic is known to be. As with anything, do use garlic in reasonable doses, and do know that you can trust history over hysteria.
    Garlic for Dogs

This is one reason that I am very, very careful about any type of holistic or herbal medicine for man or beast. The proponents too often push their ideas and say that anything different is 'only a theory' and point out that 'this has been used for thousands of years". It's also why I'm careful doing online research, and look to be sure I'm getting facts, not ideas! (Sorry, GA, this is just a pet peeve of mnine) I say, so was lead paint, and tomatoes were thought by many to be toxic until fairly recently! There IS plenty of scientific evidence proving onions can kill pets (cats are more sensitive than dogs to this, but it's bad for dogs as well). One reason pets can get by with 'some' onion in maany cases (but not always) is that the effect is not a fast poisoning. and if your pet always pees outside, you might never see the major obvious symptom.

Beyond that--I love garlic anyway and had heard that eating it daily would keep biting bugs off of me, so I made it a point to eat a bunch daily for a couple of eweeks before and two weekd during an extended vacation in a very buggy area where I would be mostly outside. One case proves nothing, but for me, no such luck, I still got eaten alive.

http://http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/aspca%20news.htmRaw, dehydrated, cooked, or powdered--onions in any form can be dangerous to your dog or cat, say veterinarians at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC). Should your pet partake of a toxic dose, thiosulphate in the onions can cause hemolytic anemia, in which the red blood cells are spliced and unable to supply enough oxygen. The minimum toxic dose will vary, depending on the animal's size and sensitivity and the amount and type of onion ingested, but initial signs of poisoning include vomiting, nausea and diarrhea, progressing to lethargy, weakness and difficulty breathing. Says the APCC's Dr. Jill A. Richardson, "Often the pet owner realizes there is a problem when the damaged red blood cells are eliminated in the pet's urine, which becomes a bright red color."

Poisoning can occur with repeated ingestion of small amounts of onion or with a single ingestion, as was the case with two collie mixes from Philadelphia. The dogs ate some fried onions out of the trash can on a Friday. "By Sunday, the dogs' urine was red--from the free hemoglobin released from ruptured red blood cells," reports Richardson. "At that time the owner brought them into an emergency clinic, thinking the dogs had urinary tract infections."

Upon examination and discussion, exposure to onions was confirmed. The clinic's veterinary staff contacted the APCC for treatment solutions. Says Richardson, "Our recommendations included administering fluids to protect the kidneys, a blood transfusion and aggressive nursing care." The dogs responded and were released later in the week.

Some concerned companion animal caretakers wanted to know more, so we checked in with APCC's Dr. Jill A. Richardson for the answers to their queries:

Q: "Can animals have onion powder as a flavoring in their food?" asks one reader.

A: "Onion powder should NOT be added to your pet's food," responds Dr. Richardson. "And in fact, there was a published report of onion poisoning in cats who were repeatedly fed baby food that contained small amounts of onion powder
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am a garlic-lover, and I have zero problems with mosquito bites.

Question: Is it a coincidence that my gurls and my son do exactly the same things when I come in from the grocery store? They are all, nose-first, rooting through the grocery bags. The kid, I can understand....the cats, not so much. They never greet me at the door when I come home, but if I am bringing in groceries, they've got to go through each bag? And then, they lay next to them, kind of romanticized! I swear, I think these "people", son included, were all related in a previous life!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post
    I did some googling on that topic as well. This is what I've found. So who knows. They claim garlic being toxic is a myth.

Garlic for Dogs
    Thanks for the link, very good stuff! I've read elsewhere since posting about this that garlic and onions - while cousins - are not the same.

I'd agree that giving a garlic clove (or whole bulb, yuck) to a dog probably wouldn't be good. But sprinkling some granulated garlic on food doesn't seem THAT bad. Anyway, so far so good with my pups ( well, not exactly puppies, but they'll always be my babies!)

Cats may be another issue, after all they're quite different from dogs

But I have to add: It has always puzzled (and disturbed) me to read on the flea/tick remedies, both OTC and prescribed "caution: may be hazardous to humans and animals, wash hands immediately after use, etc." Makes me go "hmmmmm"
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post

Question: Is it a coincidence that my gurls and my son do exactly the same things when I come in from the grocery store? They are all, nose-first, rooting through the grocery bags. The kid, I can understand....the cats, not so much. They never greet me at the door when I come home, but if I am bringing in groceries, they've got to go through each bag? And then, they lay next to them, kind of romanticized! I swear, I think these "people", son included, were all related in a previous life!
    Oh I'm glad to hear that! I thought it was all my fault, because I'd always bring a little $1.00 toy from the grocery store. Louie knew there was something for him, somewhere in the grocery bags and would go banana's as soon as he sees me coming in the door with grocery bags. I use cloth bags now, so he has a harder reach to stick his head in, it is so funny to watch him get on his hind legs to peek inside.

queen: Thanks for all that info. I'm the same way, I research to death until I'm convinced one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post

I always thought that was funny when Mona & Joey would do that also. each bag got a very thorough checking.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

You know what else is funny about the checking of the bags, sniff sniff sniff, nothing good in here..lets go to the next one

+ Reply to Thread