+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1136Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    well, I just spoke with the vet. Bloodwork came back okay

He is concerned that she's losing weight though. So, I have to go back to feeding her at about 50% of what I gave her yesterday afternoon (so still less than normal). For the next few weeks, no snacks or treats, but regular food. Weight check in 4 weeks. If she's lost more weight or not really gained anything either, he wants to run more tests because of the weight loss.

So I'm happy that nothing urgent showed in the bloodwork. My vet's not normally an alarmist, so I'm going with his gut and hoping that all is okay. There's just this little nagging part of me that says something is up with the weight loss.

I guess we'll see in 4 weeks. I thank you so much for thinking of Abbie. I'll update you all in a couple weeks. I do feel positive

FORT Fogey
    Yay, marybethp!!! I'm glad that the vet didn't find anything bad going on with Abbie.

I agree, though, that the weight loss is unusual, so I hope you make sure he checks out her heart, among other things.

Chronic heart disease is common in older dogs, and it can be accompanied by weight loss until you start treating it.

The good news is that it is treatable, and they can live nicely on their heart medications. My usual av (the brown Pom) did that for a long time, an the little buggah lived to the ripe old age of 15.5 years!!!

Please keep us posted on how she's doing!!

That's good news, marybeth! Keep us posted!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Glad Abbie is OK, thinking good thoughts. When I read "bloat" in your post, I just gasped. I have a German Shepherd and I freak out if she moves too fast after she eats.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    Yay, marybethp!!! I'm glad that the vet didn't find anything bad going on with Abbie.

I agree, though, that the weight loss is unusual, so I hope you make sure he checks out her heart, among other things.

Chronic heart disease is common in older dogs, and it can be accompanied by weight loss until you start treating it.

The good news is that it is treatable, and they can live nicely on their heart medications. My usual av (the brown Pom) did that for a long time, an the little buggah lived to the ripe old age of 15.5 years!!!

Please keep us posted on how she's doing!!
    Pom - I didn't recognize you with the new av.

marybethp, I'm so glad things are ok. I had a little mixed breed dog (chihuahua/terrier) that started losing weight like your Abbie is, it turned out she did have the heart disease and we put her on medication. Brandy has been gone 7 1/2 years now but she lived to be 17 years old!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Pom - I didn't recognize you with the new av.
    It's just until October 31st -- then the other cute little buggah will return for the rest of the year!!!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Thank you all SO much for the puppy prayers!
    Pom - Casey would love the halloween av

MIA, RIP, or Busy...

Ok all you veteran cat lovers, I need some advice.

My beloved Frosty is all white (whom I've only had a little over a year now)....

Do you guys have any tips for keeping shedding to a minimum? I brush him, but he just seems to constantly shed. He's a strictly indoor kitty and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Dragging a lint brush down my clothes has become a daily ritual and more than once, I've found myself slightly embarrassed when company comes over and there's white hair all over the sofa. Not to mention my swiffer gets a good workout on the wood floors to pick up all the Frosty dust bunnies.

I love my kitty but have a love/hate relationship with his hair!

Any tips would be much appreciated!
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Is anyone else on this board a vegatarian?

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife

Any tips would be much appreciated!
    I don't have any secret tips but I use Hills Science Diet Reduced Hairball. It not only helps with hairballs but also reduces shedding as well. I've noticed a decline in my calico cat's shedding. I also use Kitty Wipes (baby wipes for cats) once a week. Seems to be working ok.

I hear you regarding the lint brush. I'm blowing through those like candy. I wear dark blue for work and I have to keep my uniform in a cryovaced seal just to keep it from not getting hair on it.

+ Reply to Thread