+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Paul: I am so sorry to hear about Joey. I know how much he meant to you. I'm sure you did the right thing, and he was surely comforted that you were with him. My sincere condolences

Paul, I'm so sorry to read about Joey's passing. Your stories of him and Mona have been a great source of entertainment over the years. They were much loved and had the best staff a kitty could have. RIP Joey, I know Mona is happy to see you but you will be greatly missed here.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I'm sorry, Paul. Your home is going to seem mighty lonely for a while. My thoughts are with you, my dear.
    Count your blessings!

Paul,

I am so sorry to hear about Joey.
    My beloved Chaucer, who passed to RB with CRF as well, is there to give him lots of hugs. And, I know Mona will be there, too.
    Take care.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm sorry, Paul. Your home is going to seem mighty lonely for a while. My thoughts are with you, my dear.
    This one bedroom apartment is so empty right now. I am just moving stuff around and am surprised at how much stuff there was here just for Mona and then Joey and how things were arranged to work for them.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

just1paul, I am so sorry.
    I am glad that you were able to be with him as he went to greet Mona. The stories of You, Joey and Mona have brought many smiles to me.Thank you for sharing your wonderful friends with us.
    Keeping you in my thoughts.

My favorite picture of the two of them, is the one where they are sitting side by side. That is how I am picturing them now.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 03-22-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Just1Paul, you have my deepest condolences on the loss of your friend. Your loss is the Rainbow Bridge's gain. It is amazing the amount of space they take up not only in our hearts, but in our homes. Mona looked just like my sweet girl that I lost six years ago (although her Meisha look was a pale comparision to the Mona look) and she too had a little brother that sounded like Joey; your stories about them were always extra special because of that.
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'm so furious that I had to post this somewhere where people would understand.

My dog and I had been asked to help represent the nursing home where we volunteer--and where we are the volunteers of the year in the adult individual category (even though, technically, we are a team)--at a volunteer fair at a local bank. We were one of several therapy dog teams that were invited to do hour and a half shifts at the booth. They were also going to have a small area for residents to demonstrate their wheelchair volleyball skills. The home (the organization that runs several homes in the area, actually) was asked specifically to come up with a booth that would entice people to it and that would be interactive. They were asked to "think outside the box." Now, after first saying the dogs would be allowed, they've decided they're not. Worse, the residents aren't allowed either. Their reasoning is "logistics."

This is a huge bank with an enormous lobby that has asked twenty-five organizations to fill up two tables a piece on that day. They even have electrical outlets at all the tables. But dogs are a logistical problem as are old people? All of the dogs would be there with their handlers/owners. The residents will be accompanied by activities department personnel, and the residents themselves are among those who play in volleyball tournaments between the homes. But no, they can't come either. I'm pretty sure that's flat out illegal, and I bet if they were kids in wheelchairs from the local children's care hospital/school, they would never be told they couldn't come.

I'd love to stand outside the bank with my dog the day, with the dog wearing a sign saying, "I'm volunteer of the year, but I'm not allowed inside." Unfortunately, my dog is too small to wear a sign that big (which makes the logistics argument even dumber--he'd take up all of two feet, tops, and I'd bring him and take him home, so they'd never have to touch him, much less move him).
    First, Just1Paul, I'm so sorry for your loss. Like pet owners everywhere...been there done that, so I know how much it hurts.

Tilden, I'm wondering, what is the official reaction of the nursing home? I don't see how thay can participate if their residents are not welcome to attend.
    I can see that wheelchair volleyball may not be such a great idea in a crowded area, but to say they are not welcome at all??? And, does the decision maker at the bank understand that therapy dogs are extremely well trained and certified?

I love the idea that someone posted, of getting a local newpaper to do a story about this. I hope the decision maker at the bank comes to his or her senses. And I hope the nursing home takes a firm stand that if ALL their volunters (incuding dogs) are not welcome and their residents are not welcome then perhaps they should just bow out.

Paul, I'm so sorry to hear about Joey. I've so enjoyed your Mona & Joey stories.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Oh Paul! I am in tears reading about Joey's passing. I am so sorry to hear that. Hugs to you!

+ Reply to Thread