+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

That sucks Tilden I bet the "logistics" reason is just a cover for their legal department. They were probably advised that having residents/dogs could be a legal liability, since it occurs on their property. Banks are like that.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Is there anyone you can appeal to? Who set it up to begin with?
    The coordinator of volunteers set it up, through a local, city-wide group that gives out city-wide awards for volunteerism every year (the bank has won before in the corporate category, btw, partially for hosting volunteer fairs). They thought the dogs and the volleyball were a great idea. Then it suddenly became a "logistics" issue.

I offered to bring the dog to the bank and explain exactly how dangerous your average therapy dog isn't, but I haven't heard back yet (I only sent the e-mail last night, so I hadn't expected a response yet). I'm kind of stuck, because if it were just me on the line here, I'd be calling the bank. But I don't want to get anyone else in trouble or reflect badly on the organization which I would be helping to represent.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile View Post
    That sucks Tilden I bet the "logistics" reason is just a cover for their legal department. They were probably advised that having residents/dogs could be a legal liability, since it occurs on their property. Banks are like that.
    The dogs I could maybe understand the legal department declaring a liability, though it's a very poor P.R. move on their part, as lots of people probably like therapy dogs better than bankers, considering no dog has ever run a ponzi scheme or needed a bailout due to bad investments. But the residents? For all they know, they have dozens of residents from nursing homes and assisted living facilities, not to mention senior apartments, in their facility daily. We have door to door bus service for the handicapped in town, so unless a resident has some reason he/she can't be out on his own, residents could pretty much go wherever they want to go. Besides, any person with mobility issues could take a tumble in their lobby. Do they forbid anyone in wheelchairs or on walkers in their bank? To say someone can't be there because of where he/she lives has to be illegal--and unless they're checking everyone over the age of sixty or so (and I know people in nursing homes younger than that) who come through their door, they don't even know who is and isn't living in a nursing home, assisted living facility etc.

If it had been me, I'd be asking them to outline, specifically, why the activities that were planned and approved by the original organizers are logistically problematic and offer solutions. Of course, I'd also be calling AARP and TDI and the Delta Society, but that's just me.

Tilden: That is a horrible display of community involvement. Contact the local newspaper to run a story on it and in that story they should mention the potential number of customers that will leave that bank and transfer their investments elsewhere. Some large corporate account probably complained, so now they are scrambling because they are trying to keep that account.

I'm an ex banker, and left that career because the politics get in the way of customer service. This is just another example.

I think GA has a great idea. A local paper should run with that story, and it might change the bank's mind. Tilden, I 100 percent agree with everything you say. I was just pointing out the "logistics" reason is a load of hogwash (to put it politely). Too bad they have to leave such a sour taste in everyone's mouth over this. From your first post, clearly the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing.

Tilden Weather permitting, Why couldn't they set up a nice tent in a grassy area outside the bank or in the parking lot to have the event? There are several banks in our town that do this, and hold customer appreciation day, kiddie day, a donation day supporting the local no kill animal shelter, cancer walks, fall festival, nice nighttime dinners, movie night, etc. They set up really nice large tents, some with sides in the cooler weather, outside the bank.
    The events are always successful and the community is very supportive. I know it helps their banking business.

Maybe you could suggest this alternative and see what excuse they come up with.

After a 6 month struggle with Chronic Kidney Disease my WHITE & BLACK Joey crossed over to the Rainbow Bridge at 11:55AM to be with Mona. I was holding him and grampa was there. Thank You for 15 wonderful years little fella. June 10, 1996- March 22, 2011.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I'm so very sorry to hear about Joey. You have my deepest sympathy.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    After a 6 month struggle with Chronic Kidney Disease my WHITE & BLACK Joey crossed over to the Rainbow Bridge at 11:55AM to be with Mona. I was holding him and grampa was there. Thank You for 15 wonderful years little fella. June 10, 1996- March 22, 2011.
    You have my condolences. Rest in peace, Joey.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Tilden Weather permitting, Why couldn't they set up a nice tent in a grassy area outside the bank or in the parking lot to have the event? There are several banks in our town that do this, and hold customer appreciation day, kiddie day, a donation day supporting the local no kill animal shelter, cancer walks, fall festival, nice nighttime dinners, movie night, etc. They set up really nice large tents, some with sides in the cooler weather, outside the bank.
    The events are always successful and the community is very supportive. I know it helps their banking business.

Maybe you could suggest this alternative and see what excuse they come up with.

That's a great idea, inthegarden.

+ Reply to Thread