+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1140Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I think I've turned my Mastiff into a kitten! A GIANT kitten. I bought her a ball that you put treats inside. She has to roll it around, and every so often one will fall out. She is batting the thing around like a maniac...it's pretty funny to watch. She has 3 strategies: bat it around, slam it to the ground, try to chew through it (and it's hard plastic, so not likely).

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

How sweet canuckinchile.

Gutmutter I've heard of using crumpled foil and sticky tape to keep cats from jumping on the counters.

Canuck - that visual is hilarious! Thank You.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

If I put tape anywhere, Princess will sit and lick it for hours. We have to take any boxes we receive in the mail and throw them in the recycle bin immediately!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    How sweet canuckinchile.

Gutmutter I've heard of using crumpled foil and sticky tape to keep cats from jumping on the counters.
    I like that idea! I'm a big fan of foil. One of my favorite kids' art project is to mold foil into a sculptural object, cover it with masking tape, and paint it. She has calmed down a lot since I've lined the counters with cups and sports bottles. It lets me know right away when she's jumped up if I'm in another room and I race in and scold her. She has caught TWO mice this week, for which I've praised her.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post
    Lil Bit and PGM35 Thanks for the information! PG how old is your youngest and wildest? Louie is 4 yrs old, he has free roam, I don't ever need to shut doors or do anything at all for that matter. He's a good boy and listens well. Sophie, 4 months old is the wild thang!

With Louie, I know I left him gradually for an hour or so, just don't remember how old he was. Probably when he was able to go up and down stairs. I'm running home everyday at lunch time to let Sophie out of her crate, and enjoy an hour of playtime before she gets crated again until I come home from work. I think I just answered my own question, when she's old enough to go up and downstairs, and then leave them alone together for an hour or so gradually. They play well together, thank goodness, but she is a wild little puppy.

I have a friend in the same situation, she has a 13 yr old, and a 2 yr old. The 2 yr old gets crated when they are not home, because she is just too wild for the 13 yr old.
    The youngest is 5 years old this month. He doesnt' get along with the 11 year old so they have to be kept separate

FORT Fogey

I'm so furious that I had to post this somewhere where people would understand.

My dog and I had been asked to help represent the nursing home where we volunteer--and where we are the volunteers of the year in the adult individual category (even though, technically, we are a team)--at a volunteer fair at a local bank. We were one of several therapy dog teams that were invited to do hour and a half shifts at the booth. They were also going to have a small area for residents to demonstrate their wheelchair volleyball skills. The home (the organization that runs several homes in the area, actually) was asked specifically to come up with a booth that would entice people to it and that would be interactive. They were asked to "think outside the box." Now, after first saying the dogs would be allowed, they've decided they're not. Worse, the residents aren't allowed either. Their reasoning is "logistics."

This is a huge bank with an enormous lobby that has asked twenty-five organizations to fill up two tables a piece on that day. They even have electrical outlets at all the tables. But dogs are a logistical problem as are old people? All of the dogs would be there with their handlers/owners. The residents will be accompanied by activities department personnel, and the residents themselves are among those who play in volleyball tournaments between the homes. But no, they can't come either. I'm pretty sure that's flat out illegal, and I bet if they were kids in wheelchairs from the local children's care hospital/school, they would never be told they couldn't come.

I'd love to stand outside the bank with my dog the day, with the dog wearing a sign saying, "I'm volunteer of the year, but I'm not allowed inside." Unfortunately, my dog is too small to wear a sign that big (which makes the logistics argument even dumber--he'd take up all of two feet, tops, and I'd bring him and take him home, so they'd never have to touch him, much less move him).

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

That stinks, Tilden. Is the bank also rescinding their request that the nursing home have booths at the volunteer fair or only that no residents in wheelchairs and dogs/handlers be on board? That's very strange indeed and I am sure the residents as well as you are disappointed.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    That stinks, Tilden. Is the bank also rescinding their request that the nursing home have booths at the volunteer fair or only that no residents in wheelchairs and dogs/handlers be on board? That's very strange indeed and I am sure the residents as well as you are disappointed.
    They still have the booth, but now they're left scrambling to figure out what to do with it--and it's not just one nursing home. It's a very large, nationally known non-profit that runs many nursing homes/assistant living facilities in all fifty states. There are three facilities just in this town, and the one I volunteer at takes up an entire city block, offering nursing home care, rehab care, assisted living, and senior apartments. The bank is screwing up the booth for the local branch of an extremely well known non-profit organization.

It's not just that the residents would be disappointed, but that it's flat out discrimination. I'm sure that bank must have some customers who are older and/or use wheelchairs. Heck, some of the residents of the multiple centers in town probably ARE their customers. I'm glad I'm not. What does it say that they somehow have a problem with old people in wheelchairs showing that they can still be active and vital, whether they live in nursing homes or not? One of the big reasons nursing homes have trouble recruiting volunteers is that they're viewed as scary or depressing places, and no doubt some of them are. But they aren't all that way---and the fastest way to make sure they aren't is to volunteer before you're a resident themselves and make sure the nursing home culture is what you'd like it to be by the time you might be a resident. This bank is expressing an extremely old-fashioned, outdated, and myopic attitude toward both older people and therapy dogs, which, I guess, they are regarding as somehow possible legal liabilities, though the only official reason they're giving is "logistics." My dog has been to classrooms, a library, churches, nursing homes etc. without a single problem. The possibility of him suddenly going berserk in a boring bank is very slim indeed. He'd likely behave better than many of the children dragged into that bank by their parents who need to run an errand.

Is there anyone you can appeal to? Who set it up to begin with?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread