+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I think leaving them out depends on the dog. Roxie is left out and never makes a mess. In fact, the only times she has gone potty on the floor since she got trained was the day I brought her home after being spayed. She walked in the house and pooped on the floor. I think it was her way of saying, "Take that!" Trinity, on the other hand, has to be in her crate when we are gone. She will get in the garbage and strew it all over the house, then hide when we come home because she knows she was naughty.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

So glad Amelia returned home.
    queenb A gentle reminder... You can carry fleas and ticks into your house on your clothes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

queen, I'm with you. The indoor thing is all about health and safety.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    So glad Amelia returned home.
    queenb A gentle reminder... You can carry fleas and ticks into your house on your clothes.
    Oh, I know, but not to the degree that indoor/out pets do! And usually the ticks stay on my head until I send them swimming...
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post
    I'm a little late to the party, but happy birthday Rosie!

Gut: I'm so glad to see Amalia returned home!

Although my new puppy is a wild thing when she is out of her crate, I'm so thankful I started her on a good sleeping/crating schedule. She has been sleeping for 4 hours and 20 minutes this afternoon, she should be waking up in about 15 minutes which is when I would be getting home from work. She'll play/eat for a hour or so, have a nap between 6-7pm or so, then back in her crate for the night around 8pm till I get up around 6am.

She is getting along great with 4 yr old Louie. My question is for those of you who have more than 1 dog, do you let them free roam when you're not home? I don't remember how old Louie was when I started leaving him out of the crate when I wasn't home. I did it gradually, he has never chewed on anything or ruined anything. He will always use his potty pad if he has to when I'm not home.

I'm just wondering if anyone got a puppy when they already had a dog and how they handled it.
    We leave our youngest (and wildest) crated during the day and night - he goes in there by himself and is on a great schedule as well. 4 hours in the AM and 4 - 5 hrs in the PM and then 10PM bedtime til morning. The older 2 are left out and free to roam and we haven't had any problems. We have to keep bathroom and bedroom doors closed and our trash can has a lock on it but other than that, no probs! Since the oldest and the youngest don't get along, we have to keep them separated now and its worked out so far.

For your pup, if she's already a year, I'd try leaving her out for short periods when you are gone for an hour or so, and see how she does.

Gutmutter, all joking aside, Amelia is how old? Because since so many cats are spayed these days, it's very likely she was bred, and at her age it can be dangerous. If she is pregnant, and you do not want to spay before she would be 'far along", watch closely for complications. Pandora is coming into heat as of today, and driving me nuts; I'm going to get gastric sleeve surgery leaving tomorrow, so..great. I have to worry that L. will be calling me telling me Pandora got out and he didn't know she would want to go out the door so fast. I've got to decide if I want to leave her 'whole; at least long enough to have one litter of kitties, maybe two. There aren't an abundance of Burmese breeders and one that lives in this state is willing to mentor me through the show/breeding etc process. You don't really make money, but I'm at the shows anyway selling my crafts.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Queenb - good luck with your surgery.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lil Bit and PGM35 Thanks for the information! PG how old is your youngest and wildest? Louie is 4 yrs old, he has free roam, I don't ever need to shut doors or do anything at all for that matter. He's a good boy and listens well. Sophie, 4 months old is the wild thang!

With Louie, I know I left him gradually for an hour or so, just don't remember how old he was. Probably when he was able to go up and down stairs. I'm running home everyday at lunch time to let Sophie out of her crate, and enjoy an hour of playtime before she gets crated again until I come home from work. I think I just answered my own question, when she's old enough to go up and downstairs, and then leave them alone together for an hour or so gradually. They play well together, thank goodness, but she is a wild little puppy.

I have a friend in the same situation, she has a 13 yr old, and a 2 yr old. The 2 yr old gets crated when they are not home, because she is just too wild for the 13 yr old.

Amelia is not "bred". I got her from an old student who lives out in the back of beyond with one child and another on the way.
    She is getting used to the fact that she's not allowed outside for now, but she has started jumping up on the kitchen counter. I've never had a problem with that with other cats. As fast as I put her down, she jumps back up. I end up closing her in the bathroom while I wipe everything down. Anyone have any success in stopping that?
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

They'll do it when you're looking...and if you won't go along with that...they'll do it when you're not. Just get used to wiping down the surfaces before you use them, because you won't stop that "mommy's asleep" behavior. No sense in beating your head against a brick wall, unless you just like to. They are usually leapers, by nature.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread