+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1136Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

queenb - Maybe I'll try that. Smokey, so far, has shown absolutely no interest whatsoever in catnip. But then, I'm pretty sure he thinks he's a dog, so that might be it.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

My cats love catnip. I used to grow it in my garden, but once the cats find it, they bite it, roll on it, and dig it up. I never thought to try growing it indoors. Maybe I could grow it in my classroom and take home cuttings.
    Count your blessings!

I got confirmation from our vet today that our 9 year old Mastiff has lymphoma. This is the first time I have had to deal with losing a family pet as an adult where I have to make the decisions and try to guide my children through the process of acceptance and grieving. It stinks.

Closet,

I feel your pain.

Has the Vet suggested anything that can, perhaps, be done - surgery, chemo, etc.?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4163228;
    Closet,

I feel your pain.

Has the Vet suggested anything that can, perhaps, be done - surgery, chemo, etc.?
    No surgery for this type of cancer. There are options for chemotherapy but they won't cure him, it will just prolong his illness. He is not young by large breed standards and we are already seeing the early symptoms of joint issues with him. It doesn't seem fair to him to put him through the additional stress of chemo and and I also think it would be heartbreaking for my children to have to go through what would amount to a prolonged grieving process. They are putting him on meds that will help reduce the size of his lymph nodes and keep him comfortable until the time comes that we have to make the decision to put him down. I'm trying not to think about that part right now because I end up in tears every time.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;4163215;
    I got confirmation from our vet today that our 9 year old Mastiff has lymphoma. This is the first time I have had to deal with losing a family pet as an adult where I have to make the decisions and try to guide my children through the process of acceptance and grieving. It stinks.
    I just had to go through this and it's not easy. I have a 5 year old Mastiff, too, so I know how loving they are and how much they become like family. I hope it goes as well as it can for you.

Closet,

So very sorry that there is not much that can be done.
    I've gone through this with my cats and I know, like so many here, how difficult it can be.
    You will know when the time is right. Animals do tell us those things.
    My thoughts are with you and much love and hugs to you and your family.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Closet, this is hard news to hear no matter how old you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;4163215;
    Not long ago I had to have my 10-year old Saint Bernard put down. God we loved her so, she'd never hurt a fly and was the most loving dog I can imagine. I just couldn't be with her at that time (I'd been with others), so my husband was outside with her and the vet. We couldn't lift her, so the vet came to the house. I was in my bathroom crying my eyes out...then suddenly I felt a little breeze and I just "felt" her there and had an "it's okay, thank you for letting me go" feeling come over me. Then the feeling and the whisper of a breeze was gone. I have to say, there's no air conditioning in that room, and the windows and the door was closed. I felt a calming peace and walked outside - my husband met me at the door and said the deed had just been done. No one can convince me my gentle giant didn't come to tell me good bye and let me know she was no longer in pain.

I know how much it hurts...but I truly believe we'll see them again someday. Dogs and cats (in my humble opinion) are gifts of God to us, and I'm so thankful for those I've had (and have) in my life.

Give your big baby hugs and love and thankfulness for the years you've shared. Nine years for a Mastiff is a long time, you know! The larger the breed, the shorter the life span, and my vets said 8 was old for a Saint (which is a cousin of the Mastiff).

This kind of thing is hard for us, and it's reallllllly hard for children, but it's also a good time for them to learn about such things, to appreciate those we have while we have them and be grateful for them.

God bless you and your family as you go through this painful separation.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama;4163623;
    Not long ago I had to have my 10-year old Saint Bernard put down. God we loved her so, she'd never hurt a fly and was the most loving dog I can imagine. I just couldn't be with her at that time (I'd been with others), so my husband was outside with her and the vet. We couldn't lift her, so the vet came to the house. I was in my bathroom crying my eyes out...then suddenly I felt a little breeze and I just "felt" her there and had an "it's okay, thank you for letting me go" feeling come over me. Then the feeling and the whisper of a breeze was gone. I have to say, there's no air conditioning in that room, and the windows and the door was closed. I felt a calming peace and walked outside - my husband met me at the door and said the deed had just been done. No one can convince me my gentle giant didn't come to tell me good bye and let me know she was no longer in pain.

I know how much it hurts...but I truly believe we'll see them again someday. Dogs and cats (in my humble opinion) are gifts of God to us, and I'm so thankful for those I've had (and have) in my life.

Give your big baby hugs and love and thankfulness for the years you've shared. Nine years for a Mastiff is a long time, you know! The larger the breed, the shorter the life span, and my vets said 8 was old for a Saint (which is a cousin of the Mastiff).

This kind of thing is hard for us, and it's reallllllly hard for children, but it's also a good time for them to learn about such things, to appreciate those we have while we have them and be grateful for them.

God bless you and your family as you go through this painful separation.
    Your story gave me goosebumps, SugarMama.

Closet, I'm so very sorry about your Mastiff.

+ Reply to Thread