+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4145473;
    . Apparently, the virus that causes this is often just dormant in their bodies and, under normal circumstances, their immune systems just fight it off. Unfortunately, if they are under stress, the virus sometimes comes out..
    This is what BooBoo has,plus she also had entropion. Since the entropion (eyelid turning in) surgery, she's only had an 'incident' every 2-3 months, usually when I've made a drastic change here like the new floor, new cat, etc. . (Remember, BooBoo will be 15 in a month, so she is more prone to illness anyway) )I've found that giving her l-lysine daily really, really helps. If he has more flares, I'd start him on it. I use Viralys powder. It's not expensive, and I think since Oliver has this virus, you might consider adding it to his food. It doesn't hurt anything, it is an amino acid that inhibits replication of the herpes virus involved. I've already started putting it in Rory's food, just to hopefully keep his immune system strong to keep him from picking the virus up. Even if BooBoo didn't have it, it's VERY common, although most cats aren't as sensitive to it.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the info, queenb. I'll read up on that
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical

I had this issue starting back in early September and I have three cats. It all stated after we were adopted by our third, the little girl Indy. About a month after she came into our house, Neko, my 18 pound male got sick. I took him to the doctor and he had pick eye and an upper respiratory infection, he wouldn't, poor thing was just miserable. The vet gave me an eye cream antibiotic for the pink eye, an antibiotic for that I had to give orally, appetite stimulants to get him to eat and I had to feed him by a syringe. After a week I realized he couldn't smell so that was why he wouldn't eat, so I started putting the food on his nose to get him to eat. Finally got him healthy and my first female, Ellie, got the pick eye. So I was back with the eye cream once again. Got Ellie's eye cleared up and Neko got it again, plus another upper respiratory infection. When I had him at the doctor we got to wondering if Indy was a carrier but wasn't showing signs of the infections. That time they gave Neko an time release antibiotic and of course the eye cream. Loved the fact that I didn't have to chase him down and pretty much lay on him to get the oral antibiotic down. So took Indy in and she had an infection in her tonsils that the vet said she probably had from the time she adopted us. So he gave her the antibiotic shot and I can happily say that they were all healthy by Christmas and doing great. (knock on wood). Of course I have spent more in vet bills than I have in doctor bills for the rest of the family, but it was worth it.

So I would suggest to really keep an eye on the other ones. Neko and Indy are great pals. Ellie and Indy not so much, but she still got the pink eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4145473;
    We just have to let the virus run its course. Apparently, the virus that causes this is often just dormant in their bodies and, under normal circumstances, their immune systems just fight it off. Unfortunately, if they are under stress, the virus sometimes comes out. We drove to SoCal and back over the holidays, so that's the stress right there.
    This makes total sense. Cats are very suseptible to any changes in their environment and get really stressed about it.
    Glad he'll be fine.

Darling video, Unk!
    Count your blessings!

I love the video Unk.

That was too sweet for words.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Yes indeed dogs are awesome. I guarantee this will make you smile!

YouTube - Dogs are Awesome TOO

Those video's are precious and awesome repectively. Thanks for the smiles !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread