+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1139Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Oh, BooBoo's thing just pops up now and then, and I only have to do the drops for a couple of days. I sure hope you don't have to do it for 10!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

One of my gurls, probably Miss Sashay, has had conjunctivitis issues, twice, in the past year. She got antibiotic eye drops. She had the swelling, and the squinting, and kept covering her eyes....broke my heart to look at her. You can really see the progress, or lack thereof, by pulling back the eyelid and looking at the sclera. The appearance of the sclera can tell a lot of clues about a kitty's health. Red or yellow (jaundice) are not good signs, but I'd rather have red. Years ago, they would give me ointment. And, like in people, conjunctivitis can be very contagious. The rest of my troops were spared; thank goodness they aren't at all mushy and affectionate toward each other!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yeah, I've been pretty upset that Suki and Ollie didn't immediately bond. Who knew I'd find the one kitten on the planet that she didn't love? Right now, though I'm happy they aren't besties. They are getting more affectionate and snuggly with one another and I hate to discourage it, since it's been a long time coming, but I'm trying to keep them away from each other. I don't need two cats on eye drops.

Honestly, queenb, I'd be okay with 10 days of eye drops if the alternative is a long-term chronic condition! He's a pretty easy going little dude. I don't anticipate problems giving him any medication *knocks wood*
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My drops were 3X/day, one drop in the affected eye, and then massage the lids up and down for a second. I got the impression that the drop burned or hurt, somehow. Miss Sashay is my most agreeable gurl, but she hated those drops, and would try to snatch away, which is unusual for her. I hate hurting my sweeties, but sometimes we've just got to do what we have to do.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Just a bit of important information for animal lovers, and I will keep it as short as possible.

My friend and neighbor, a healthy male in his early 40's ended up in the hospital for more than 3 weeks ... the first 8 days in intensive care, in septic shock with multi-organ failure and on a ventilator and dialysis.

The cultures took a long time but they finally determined it was a gram negative rod type bacteria which was ultimately identified as Capnocytophaga Canimorsus . This is bacteria found in the mouths of ALL dogs and cats. He has 2 dogs but wasn't bitten. It could have been from one of the dogs just licking broken skin, but it is very puzzling and has caused even the docs to admit they are now more cautious when interacting with their pets.

His pre-hospitalization symptoms presented like the flu ... and in a little more than 24 hours he was on life support. He is recovering and doing well, but has some residuals and his general health has been compromised.

This is just a cautionary post for my fellow animal lovers here because I found it pretty scary. We don't know yet why his immune system caused him to be vulnerable to this bacteria ... and of course his generally strong immune system made his response to the bacteria extremely virulent. It's some kind of catch 22.

So ... be careful, especially if you have any reason to think your immune system is suppressed. And in general, don't ignore serious flu systems without at least calling the doctor.

If kissing my dog kills me ... what a way to go .... but you may not feel quite the same.
    Last edited by echo226; 01-11-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

If kissing Joey kils me... so be it. You never know I could die giving my Mom a peck on the cheek. Or hugging my brother, uncle, dad or sister in law, best friend co workers etc etc ., yadda yadda yadda.. I think you get my drift.

Must have been some type of immunity problem from what I've been reading.

I kiss my cats all the time. I have two of the sweetest, most loving cats ever, so I won't stop.

We just got back from the vet a while ago. I was right about the diagnosis. As the vet said, Oliver has a "raging case of pink eye." Otherwise, he's perfectly healthy and looks great, although he's a moose. When I adopted him last summer, he was about 3 or 4 pounds. He now weighs 12 pounds! I wouldn't be surprised if he got up to 18 pounds. He's going to be a big, long, tall boy. I knew it when I saw his paws when he was a kitten.

Anyway, he'll be on eye drops twice a day for the next week and then he should be fine. The drops are to treat the symptoms, not the underlying cause, which is viral. We just have to let the virus run its course. Apparently, the virus that causes this is often just dormant in their bodies and, under normal circumstances, their immune systems just fight it off. Unfortunately, if they are under stress, the virus sometimes comes out. We drove to SoCal and back over the holidays, so that's the stress right there.

Eye drops for 7 days isn't ideal, but it sure beats something more serious, including what I was dealing with a year ago when I had to have my Jasper put down. I'm $85 poorer, but he'll be fine.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Glad to hear the good news about Oliver.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Hooray for Oliver!! (That was my favorite grandfather's name, by the way!) What you say about the virus playing up during times of stress....my Miss Sashay had the conjunctivitis twice in the past year, a couple of months apart. This has been during her year of stress and weight loss from allowing Dez to worry her, almost into starvation. She lost 33% of her body weight last year, but I've realized what the problem was and have been actively working against it, so she's on the road to recovery and better health.

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4145324;
    If kissing Joey kils me... so be it. You never know I could die giving my Mom a peck on the cheek. Or hugging my brother, uncle, dad or sister in law, best friend co workers etc etc ., yadda yadda yadda.. I think you get my drift.

Must have been some type of immunity problem from what I've been reading.
    Just the way I feel about kissing pets.

I just wanted to mention it here because nobody ever thought this would be the guy who'd get sick. And he was very, very sick and very quickly.

There is not much to read about this bacteria and being infected by it is pretty rare. If a dog or cat bites or even scratches you, you'd be aware and disinfecting the wound and kind of watching for changes.

This case they can't really pin down because he doesn't have any known immunity problems, but they are looking carefully into it because it is an interesting case. Something you never want to be is an "interesting case".

One irony is a member of my neighbor's immediate family is a practicing Veterinarian in a different state who never even heard of this.

I am happy to hear it's nothing too serious with Oliver .... and also that all your pets will continue to be kissed .... cautiously .... as will mine. .
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread