+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1140Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Gutmutter, you might like to know--as might other people- since going to a couple of cat shows , I have run into several people who say they are allergic, but the show cats don't bother them. It's because the actual allergen is the dander, not the hair. So kitties that are washed weekly or so don't bother allergic people nearly as much, for some it's not at all. And your kitty is young enough to learn to at least tolerate a montly bath, so you could wash her before your son comes. (Use baby shampoo, Dawn dish soap, or cat or people shampoo. no flea or dandruff shampoos meant for humans or dogs--those can kill a kitty or sause horrible nerve damage)

Lil Bit, that's not even funny. If I met Roxie in person, you would see how nutty I get when i see a little squishy face. But I have to admit, I do like dogs, anyd enjoy meeting and visiting my doggie friends, but am a better fit with cats.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Good to know about the cat bath and allergies. Thanks. Let us know how things go when Rory (love the name) is set loose in your house.
    Count your blessings!

Catching up on posts, I was so sad to hear about Bandit, then so happy to read he is back!

Louie turned 4 in October. When I brought him home at 9 weeks old the begining of January, before I even brought him in the house, I put him in the snow on the front lawn. He has loved the snow ever since. He has only once or twice, lifted his paw in cold weather only because I can't get him back in the house once he's playing outside or going for walks. However, this year, it seems his paws get cold after 10 min's or so of being outside.

I have purchased several different pairs of booties, this is driving me insane! None of them really work/fit properly. He loves them, is used to them now and is his old self, chasing snowballs, but they fall off. The latest pair seem to be the best so far, they look like a mitten, but they eventually fall off too. I went back to the store to get a larger size hoping a larger size would go up his legs further but they didn't have anymore. There doesn't seem to be much of a choice in my area. All the internet searching I've done is basically the same shape that I've already tried.

Can anyone recommend a brand or type of boots that work best? IMO they don't make the hind leg booties to fit properly.

CA, I know they make booties for dogsled teams--maybe you could google 'dogsled racing booties' or something.
    ETA..here you go, this has links to lots of places. Sled Dog Central: Equipment & Supplies If these don't work, maybe you're putting them on wrong. I notice they do come in sizes, bnut don't know if "small" would be a small sled dog or a small regular dog, I didn't check that far.I notice these are not so heavily padded, etc as the pet store ones, and it makes sense to me. Remember, a very thin set of long johns keeps us warm, so your dog probably doesn't need an ich of quilting on his foot, really,. I don't know what you're using but that could be the problem. Seems to me thinner neoprene or whatever would be more secure. Also see my PM
    Last edited by queenb; 12-27-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I went out early in the blizzard this morning and filled the feeder and shoveled off the scatter pallet and was rewarded with more birds than I can identify including 5 PAIRS OF CARDINALS!!! I've never seen that many cardinals at once in my life. They acted out West Side Story with the other birds.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4133297;
    I went out early in the blizzard this morning and filled the feeder and shoveled off the scatter pallet and was rewarded with more birds than I can identify including 5 PAIRS OF CARDINALS!!! I've never seen that many cardinals at once in my life. They acted out West Side Story with the other birds.
    Absolutely wonderful HILARIOUS description

Speaking of birds... I came home the other day and found this eagle sitting in one of our trees. I zoomed my camera in as much as I could and got this shot, then took one step closer, and he flew away!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4133407;
    Speaking of birds... I came home the other day and found this eagle sitting in one of our trees. I zoomed my camera in as much as I could and got this shot, then took one step closer, and he flew away!
    Nice shot!

queenb: thanks for the link. I just searched around amazon and they seem to have a couple of different styles. I'm going to look through there when I can think straight, (just got home after shopping all day)!!!

Gut: What a site that must have been.

Lil Bit: Great shot!!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;4133002;
    I have purchased several different pairs of booties, this is driving me insane! None of them really work/fit properly. He loves them, is used to them now and is his old self, chasing snowballs, but they fall off. The latest pair seem to be the best so far, they look like a mitten, but they eventually fall off too. I went back to the store to get a larger size hoping a larger size would go up his legs further but they didn't have anymore. There doesn't seem to be much of a choice in my area. All the internet searching I've done is basically the same shape that I've already tried.

Can anyone recommend a brand or type of boots that work best? IMO they don't make the hind leg booties to fit properly.
    When I read this I rememberd that I watched a video of Jeff Probst (Survivor) about how he likes to hike with his dog and noticed that Jeff gets his dog special hiking "booties." Here's a link to the video and maybe seeing them will help you locate some good booties for your dog.
    Episode 1: Our Outdoors

hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread