+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

so cute!!

MRD

Queenb, so sorry about Raisin. My thoughts are with you and your sister and family
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I'm looking for some input as to quality dog foods. We adopted a rescue in late January of this year. Her foster mom had been feeding her California Natural sweet potato and whitefish but I switched almost immediately b/c it gave her terrible stinky gas. We were on Nutro Large Breed for a while and she was okay. I tried Wellness 5 Mix. I've read up a lot about dog foods but don't know what to believe. I only owned 1 dog before this one. Tomorrow it will be a year that my beloved Sandy, passed over to the Rainbow Bridge. I admit that I didn't know much about dog food and fed her Pedigree. Come to find out that brands sold in supermarkets are the worst. I'm trying to avoid anything with corn b/c they say dogs can get skin problems, ear infections, etc. I just don't know what to think. She is a large dog and our last vet bill a few weeks ago was well over $300. She had gotten a bad case of fleas and needed a shot for the infection. She was given antibiotics for home and she was due for a 3 year rabies vaccine. To be fair, I also picked up a 6 month supply of heartworm meds at about 50 bucks for the box. I am trying to economize but don't want to jeopardize her health. I just finished with a 30 pound of Nature's Best...it's only duck meat and potato. Was highly recommended. Now I read online that apparently they changed the formula and aren't able to get the quality duck meat they had been using. Also, California Natural was taken over by Proctor and Gamble and Whole Dog Journal has dropped it from its list of recommended foods. Honestly, my head is spinning from all the info out there. She goes through a 30 pound bag pretty quickly and it's close to $60. with the tax included.

We had vowed to strictly feed her dry dog food but that promise soon went out the window when my hubby started giving her table food. She is good-- doesn't beg or jump onto the table, but sits there quietly, expectantly. I want to be a responsible dog owner but question whether or not all this info about holistic or premium dog foods is just a bunch of hooey. My sister has had dogs for years and they eat nothing but Pedigree. Her Akita mix is 14 years old already and while getting much slower with age, is still going strong.

Eastcoastmom I have read about dog foods until my eyes crossed I've read all the hype... its like feeding them junk food.
    Everyone has their own opinion so here is mine... I tried all the brands Nutro, Wellness, Blue, etc. I feed mine Pedigree and Purina One, not because it cheaper, but the dogs love it and do well on it. The 4 dogs are between 45 lbs and 100 lbs, ages 3 - 12 yrs. On occasion, I do give them table scraps, meat and vegies, nothing with onion or celery in it. I can buy a 52lbs. bag of Pedigree for $24.99 at Tractor Supply Company. I get my flea and tick, heartworm at the Vet and they will match online prices. I guess ask your Vet what they recommend food wise and whatever your pet eats and stays healthy, that is what I would do.

I did a lot of research on dog food, and I feed my large breed dog Fromm's. There are a lot of good dog foods out there, but I agree with you that the supermarket brands tend not to be as good.

I think the big hoo-ha about raw/natural/holistic is overboard to a large extent, BUT I do agree that pet foods with a higher percent of protein and mostly meat products is probably better. I personally think the bigger problems is actually (surprise) overfeeding for the amount of energy the pet burns. One benefit of the higher protein/less filler diest is true for sure--less doo! And that's always a good thing.
    Paul, Joey and booBoo should havew a 'spoiled' contest, seriously. I do brush her a ridiculous amount, but she still gets these oily skin bumps now and then. I am trying to get someone to come help me wash her, so I can blame it on them
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Joey spoiled? oh no I have HIM trained. -psst - you want to buy a bridge?

Booboo deserves every bit of that attention doesn't she? Keep brushing mama.

I fed my little Shih Tzu Pedigree and she developed bladder stones, and the vet blamed the salt content of the food. Since she is so little I started making her food (she was 5 years old) since I only have to do it once every 2 weeks (I freeze the portions). She is 17 years old now, and very rickety, but still eats well. I have no idea if the Pedigree/salt thing is true (sometimes I find vets don't actually know a lot about pet foods) but because of my experience it is not a brand I would personally use. For larger breeds the protein content is very important while they are growing, ie. not too much protein so the growth isn't overly rapid, affecting bones. I agree with queenb about the overfeeding. My dogs never get table scraps, and my Mastiff is lean (5 1/2 cups of dry food/day) and has so far avoided joint problems. She is 5 years old, and her muzzle is starting to turn grey I am thinking about switching her to a senior brand.

It is sad when you see the beginning of grey around the muzzle. My oldest dog is 12 and is grey, but he is still going strong.
    As far as food, I guess you just have to use the food that works best for your pet. What is good for one might not be good for another.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4123451;
    It is sad when you see the beginning of grey around the muzzle. My oldest dog is 12 and is grey, but he is still going strong.
    As far as food, I guess you just have to use the food that works best for your pet. What is good for one might not be good for another.
    I know the feeling. Joey being white and black has been for the last few years been getting more white on his ears and around his eyes and in his tail.

There was the one day a few years ago when I looked at his face and eyes and realized it was a mature not kitten/young face looking back at me.

Enjoy every day you can with them.

+ Reply to Thread