+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1421Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

When my folks Missy the Bassett Hound was alive (bows head) my Dad had one of those leashes that retracts etc., but Missy was so easy going she would just trot about 20 paces ahead unless she saw a rabbit then she would start baying and go running through any brush that the rabbit headed into, my Dad used to have fun "following" the rope. He walked her along a creek by their house and very rarely were there any other dogs there and if any showed up Missy would stay close to Dad to protect him. (or to get protection) Darn I miss that girl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

That is an awesome pic. Those ears!

I adore little dogs too...in fact, before we got Stryker, I was pining for a Boston Terrier. Stryker lives with 2 cats so he knows not to use smaller animals as chew toys. He won't play with little dogs at the off-leash park because they bark and sometimes nip at him. He'll play with larger breeds, but he's a coward. He's very submissive and will run away if a dog is aggressive towards him. So when these dogs on the sidewalk charge at him, he moves away.

Sigh. Is it really too much to ask that a dog-walker keeps their animal in line, on a proper leash, and picks up after it? My mom is very afraid of dogs - she rarely visits but is just barely okay with Stryker - so I'm hyper-aware of how people who don't care for, or are afraid of dogs may feel when they see my big dog on the street. The prong collar is mostly just for show - I bought it only because I was tired of him trying to rip my arm off when he saw a rabbit in someone's yard. Never had to use it to keep him away from another dog or person.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Check out this awesome dog!

YouTube - Useful Dog Tricks performed by Jesse

They have their own YouTube channel

YouTube - JustJesse197's Channel
    Last edited by Unklescott; 11-04-2010 at 11:55 PM.

That dog is great Unk! So cute and smart.

It took me a while, but since I walk big dog down by the lake, we see geese, squirrels, groundhogs, ducks...etc. She has learned not to chase. Her ears still go up though I think people tend to let little dogs get away with more (raises hand guiltily). If my little dog jumps up, she hits your ankles, my big dog would knock someone over.

My friend is going out of town for the weekend and I get to babysit for her 4 1/2 month old Cavalier King Charles puppy. I can't even tell you how excited I am! I get to have a dog again for four days!!

I think I also forgot to mention that last month, my parents and I went to the AKC/CFA Meet the Breeds event at the Javits Center in New York. They had over 100 breeds of dogs there and I think 41 breeds of cats. It's a wonderful event for any prospective dog or cat owner because you can talk to the breeders and get any questions you may have answered, compare breeds head to head. We didn't spend much time with the cats, but when I heard there was a Sphynx cat I had to go see it-- they're surprisingly soft! I think they probably had some giveaways but we don't have any pets right now, so we didn't really look too much into that.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4098363;
    That is an awesome pic. Those ears!
    I used to love those ears. Now that colder weather is here I call this "Missy weather" she loved it cold outside, would lay on a sidewalk splayed out.

Whenever there was snow in the yard that was higher than her, she would start at one end, put her head down and go all over like in a maze and all you would see is snow collapsing after her.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4098867;
    My friend is going out of town for the weekend and I get to babysit for her 4 1/2 month old Cavalier King Charles puppy.
    VERY pretty dogs (that is coming from a cat lover) Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4098294;
    Missy the Bassett Hound
    haha, those ears! I always get them mixed up with bloodhounds.

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4098873;
    I used to love those ears. Now that colder weather is here I call this "Missy weather" she loved it cold outside, would lay on a sidewalk splayed out. Whenever there was snow in the yard that was higher than her, she would start at one end, put her head down and go all over like in a maze and all you would see is snow collapsing after her.
    I bet she was a real sweet heart.
    My first dog(?) I ever got was a plastic motorized Basset Hound, named Gaylord. Does anyone remember those?
    It was big, long floppy ears, and came with a red leash and a magnetic bone that would stick to its mouth if you held it close enough. It would walk and if you squeezed the end of the leash it made a noise. Much to my parent delight, I wore the batteries out Christmas Day.
    My uncle raised hunting dogs in Texas, I loved to go visit him and play with all the dogs. He felt sorry that I didn't have a real dog...That summer he sent me a (oops! Mom went visiting) beagle mix. He shipped him to me on a Grey hound bus. My mom never forgave her brother. I loved him dearly (both my uncle and dog).
    That dog went everywhere with me. Unless, he caught the whiff of a rabbit, then he would be gone for a few days. He would come back with the tip of his nose rubbed off, tired and hungry. He lived to be 18 yrs. old. Died the summer before I went of to college.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4099366;
    I bet she was a real sweet heart.
    My first dog(?) I ever got was a plastic motorized Basset Hound, named Gaylord. Does anyone remember those?
    It was big, long floppy ears, and came with a red leash and a magnetic bone that would stick to its mouth if you held it close enough. It would walk and if you squeezed the end of the leash it made a noise. Much to my parent delight, I wore the batteries out Christmas Day.
    My uncle raised hunting dogs in Texas, I loved to go visit him and play with all the dogs. He felt sorry that I didn't have a real dog...That summer he sent me a (oops! Mom went visiting) beagle mix. He shipped him to me on a Grey hound bus. My mom never forgave her brother. I loved him dearly (both my uncle and dog).
    That dog went everywhere with me. Unless, he caught the whiff of a rabbit, then he would be gone for a few days. He would come back with the tip of his nose rubbed off, tired and hungry. He lived to be 18 yrs. old. Died the summer before I went of to college.

Missy was the sweetest kindest soul you would ever meet. Of course she could sound and be ferocious if someone would try something like breaking in or "hurting" Mom or Dad.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Dogs are just plain wonderful!!
    It's humans that mess up dogs.
    We have 3 large dogs, mostly mixed breeds, all adopted, needing homes. Would have more probably but am so busy now, brushing them and sweeping/vacuuming dog hairs with just 3!!! But as with the ones we have, if it's meant to be, the dog will come to us as these 3 did. Whenever we went looking, hoping to adopt, we never found the right match so now we just wait and they come to us. Somehow. Some way.

+ Reply to Thread