+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632;4094390;
    We lost our ten year old Swiss Mountain Dog unexpectedly last night to bloat. Has anyone ever lost one of a 'set' of dogs? His lab/shepard sister is four months older than he is and they were a total set that did everything together. We have been showering her with love and are going to take her on long walks all weekend, but are at a loss on how else to handle her grief. She was definitely the alpha and is always around us, but today she is upstairs alone staring into space. We had a third dog that was more of a 'fringe' dog to their pack and her loss a year ago hit this one harder than I would have expected, so I want to do everything I possibly can.
    I am soooo sorry to hear about your dog.
    We also had a dog die suddenly and it was devasting to us and our other dog. He's really never been the same since. We've added two new dogs and they all get along well but he's never been close to them as he was to the one who died. Breaks my heart. It does get better but wish there was a way to communicate better with a broken-hearted dog. Prayers and good wishes for you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4096135;
    I am soooo sorry to hear about your dog.
    We also had a dog die suddenly and it was devasting to us and our other dog. He's really never been the same since. We've added two new dogs and they all get along well but he's never been close to them as he was to the one who died. Breaks my heart. It does get better but wish there was a way to communicate better with a broken-hearted dog. Prayers and good wishes for you and your family.
    A lot of love, attention and talk to him, yes talk to him -He'll understand.

I have often said that our four legged kids DO know what we are saying, we don't know all of their language.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4094890;
    Jamie, I'm sorry to hear this; it's hard to lose a pet suddenly like that.
    I'm not overjoyed about it, but I guess I might as well start keeping an eye out for a BooBoo buddy. She is just less clingy and whiny (but still lovable) with another kitty around.
    Don't give up hope queenb...one of my ferals (she has been spayed) came back tonight, she has been gone for 3 weeks. She looks great and seemed glad to be back...said in kitty talk... camping was great... the hunting has been too good to pass up, but... the weather is changing and I'm ready for room service and my nice warm insulated wooden box.

Lil Bit I love your new picture of Roxie and Smokey sunning together...they look like great pals... or is Roxie wanting some kitten food...

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4096792;

Lil Bit I love your new picture of Roxie and Smokey sunning together...they look like great pals... or is Roxie wanting some kitten food...
    Roxie wants ALL food, but I actually have more problems keeping Smokey out of Roxie's food. He seems to like dog food better than his kitten food.

They really are great pals. I think Roxie has even lost some weight because of all the running and playing they do all day long!!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

This is just a vent. I have a yellow lab that I take with me on my 3x/week runs. I like to run laps around a local public school (not on the school grounds, on the sidewalk on the other side of the school fence) because it's exactly one square kilometre and I can keep track of my distance easily. I go on my mornings off, after the school bell and before the recess bell when there's no traffic and no kids. Other people in the neighbourhood take their dogs for walks around the same time. I keep Stryker on a short leash and use a prong collar to keep him in line, even though he's really well-trained to keep running with me. He doesn't usually even spare a glance for the other dogs because he loves his runs. Other dogs - or should I say, other owners - are not so well-behaved. Most of the other "regulars" know I don't stop to chat (not out of unfriendliness, just because I'm keeping track of my pace). However...there are a few that don't reign in their dogs that are on VERY long leashes. Just this morning, I was nearly tripped THREE times by dogs that race out after Stryker (who ignored them). The owners are using those damned leashes that extend out, and there's no way I can tell if they've locked the leash short or if the dog can run the length of the cord. It makes me furious because I make sure my dog doesn't do it to other dog-walkers, and besides, I always pull up his leash so he's heeling when passing anyone on the street because I don't assume everyone I meet is a dog-lover. Plus, I don't want to hit the pavement because someone can't control their dog. I try to make a wide berth around other dogs, but it's not always possible because of the roadway next to the sidewalk and the fence on the other side.

I can't wait until the weather gets colder and the morning dog-walking crowd thins out.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJane, I don't even have a dog right now but you can bet if I did I would not have one of those stupid things; they are one of my pet peeves. Even if it's in "lockdown", the dogs don't understand and keep snatching, strangling, and yapping. I call them dog un-training leashes. As in, people who use them don't even care to have a well trained dog that knows the dog park or yard is the place to run loose, and on a walk is time to stay next to your person.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4097421;
    This is just a vent. I have a yellow lab that I take with me on my 3x/week runs. I like to run laps around a local public school (not on the school grounds, on the sidewalk on the other side of the school fence) because it's exactly one square kilometre and I can keep track of my distance easily. I go on my mornings off, after the school bell and before the recess bell when there's no traffic and no kids. Other people in the neighbourhood take their dogs for walks around the same time. I keep Stryker on a short leash and use a prong collar to keep him in line, even though he's really well-trained to keep running with me. He doesn't usually even spare a glance for the other dogs because he loves his runs. Other dogs - or should I say, other owners - are not so well-behaved. Most of the other "regulars" know I don't stop to chat (not out of unfriendliness, just because I'm keeping track of my pace). However...there are a few that don't reign in their dogs that are on VERY long leashes. Just this morning, I was nearly tripped THREE times by dogs that race out after Stryker (who ignored them). The owners are using those damned leashes that extend out, and there's no way I can tell if they've locked the leash short or if the dog can run the length of the cord. It makes me furious because I make sure my dog doesn't do it to other dog-walkers, and besides, I always pull up his leash so he's heeling when passing anyone on the street because I don't assume everyone I meet is a dog-lover. Plus, I don't want to hit the pavement because someone can't control their dog. I try to make a wide berth around other dogs, but it's not always possible because of the roadway next to the sidewalk and the fence on the other side.

I can't wait until the weather gets colder and the morning dog-walking crowd thins out.
    I also hate those stretchy leashes. They're probably only good for little tiny dogs so that when you retract it, the whole dog comes back to you!!!
    A leash on a dog, implies "control." You can't control a large dog with one of those dumb things. You need to have your dog close to you to control/command.
    Maybe it's for lazy people who don't want to walk as far as their dog does??
    And good for you, using the collar that you probably wish you didn't have to use but feel as long as you have a large animal, it's your responsibility to protect others.

FORT Fogey

Count me in as another dog owner who loathes retractable leashes. To me, they all but scream "amateur," because most people I've seen using them either don't lock them properly or don't even know how to do so (and probably haven't been to any kind of class with their dogs, because I don't know of a trainer who'd allow their use in class). There's nothing worse than a dog on a retractable leash with the other end in the hands of a child. Kids never control them properly and the dog races all over the place, dragging the kid with him/her. I was at a charity dog jog with my dog and was nearly tripped up twice by the same kid, who was running all over the place and allowing his very large dog to do the same, much to the annoyance (and in the case of some very little dogs, endangerment) of others. Meanwhile, his mother did absolutely nothing about it, because she didn't want to be bothered to walk with them.

Besides, have you ever had that big hunk of plastic that's the human's end of a retractable leash in your hand? It's hugely awkward. Even if you lock a retractable leash, you're still stuck with that unresponsive clump of plastic in your hand that doesn't give you anything near the kind of feel for your dog and his/her movement that a regular leash does. I don't know who came up with the idea of the retractable leash, but it was not something that needed to be invented.

I can rant right along with you AJane. I think those leashes are a disaster waiting to happen. I can't tell you how many times that I have been jumped on by dogs or nearly tripped by dogs, being restrained??? by one of those leashes. I blame it on the owners and their lack of knowledge on how to opperate them. I have 4 large dogs and there is no way that I would use one of those leashes in public. I use a short leash.
    I took one of my dogs (95 lbs.) to the Vet. It wasn't busy so we waited in the lobby. A lady came in with a very hyper small dog on one. The dog kept yapping and jumping at my dog. She hit the button intending to shorten the leash, but instead released it. The leash let go and the dog plunged at mine. My dog is very easy going and ignored the 'snack' but it could have been a disaster if he wasn't. She just giggled and said...Sorry, I just can't get the hang of this leash .... and I'm thinking Well, maybe you don't need to use one then... Gee! The sign at the Vet clearly states...Keep all pets restrained or confined.
    Now when we go, I leave them in the suv, check in and either wait in suv with them or we sit outside under a tree away from the entrance... they call us and I go in the side door.

Well, I'll chime in. I have a 160 pound well behaved dog. I can't tell you how many times she has been charged by a little dog on one of those leashes. Then the owners have a terrified look on their face like it is somehow my fault. I also have an 11 pound shih tzu, so I love little dogs. My big dog just kind of looks down at the little dog like they are nuts.

+ Reply to Thread