+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

I've always assume that if it's an open bag of dry food, then that food has become stale with the air exposure. My gurls always love the fresh food from the newly opened bag. I tend to keep my unopened large bags of food in my car until I need them.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was speaking of unopened bags. Thus why I kept them unopened in plastic tubs, or put the food in tightly lidded plastic tubs or containers.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4089366;
    I have to report that I am officially "staff" for little Smokey the kitten! He has taken over the household and is lording it over all of us, especially poor Roxie. He still shows some healthy respect for Trinity, but they get along great. I got him one of those scratching things that's shaped in kind of an arch, but he doesn't want anything to do with it. I even put catnip on it and he ignores it, so any advice I can get from the cat experts on here on how to get him to scratch what I want him to scratch as opposed to my furniture would be very much appreciated!
    That respect thing will most likely change in time. hee hee How is Roxie doing, poor baby probably needs more attention now?

WELCOME TO THE OFFICAL STAFF GROUP!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Mimzy;4089420;
    Well, my house looks like we live with a tiger. Somethings look a little ratty. Cant really stop a cat from scratching, but you can slow them down a bit. Throw sheets over any good furniture. When they go to scratch he'll just get sheet. And any favorite places to scratch put on wide double sticky tape. They hate it. Get a tree stump and put it in the corner of the room. Tell him NOT to scratch, it is YOURS! He will soon be ripping it to bits. Good luck.
    Lil Bit this is the best advice.
    I use either quilts or beach towels to cover furniture. Distraction works too. I have a SmartyKat SuperScratcher+ (Wal-Mart). It comes with catnip that is to be sprinkled over it. I push kitty treats in the openings and Chloe scratches to get them out. Her favorite scratching spot is a close weave stiff carpet remnant, either the front or backside. I found those at Wal-Mart in the welcome mat section. Be sure it is big enough that Smokey can stretch out to scratch.
    I know its not much help now... Chloe has gotten better about not scratching on furniture, but she was a terror in the kitten stage.
    And... they are just like kids, the bigger fuss you make, they file that in their mind as to which button to push to get your attention and or a reaction.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep trying to find something that he likes to scratch. My furniture isn't all that fancy (or new) but since I can't afford to replace it anytime soon, I'd like to keep the destruction to a minimum. I got some spray that is supposed to deter cats from scratching, and that seems to work. I can't stay mad at him though... he's just too sweet!

just1paul - Roxie is a bit jealous. If Smokey climbs up in my lap, Roxie has to get in my lap too and push Smokey aside. She still gets lots of attention though. Roxie will always be my baby.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4090460;
    Thanks for the advice. I'll keep trying to find something that he likes to scratch. My furniture isn't all that fancy (or new) but since I can't afford to replace it anytime soon, I'd like to keep the destruction to a minimum. I got some spray that is supposed to deter cats from scratching, and that seems to work. I can't stay mad at him though... he's just too sweet!

just1paul - Roxie is a bit jealous. If Smokey climbs up in my lap, Roxie has to get in my lap too and push Smokey aside. She still gets lots of attention though. Roxie will always be my baby.
    Who could resist that face??? She is soooooooo cute!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Bella is sleeping in her little cat bed – sometimes. She takes long naps in it, moves to the sofa, then moves to the window ledge for her “Neighborhood Watch” duties Then she gets on my bed (until I get in and she moves). She also likes a spot on the floor behind the big chair in my bedroom. Odd that she prefers the floor instead of the chair itself. When I can’t find her, that’s usually where she is.

I sometimes have a problem with her being curious about the wires and cords near the TV and computer (forbidden area). One friend suggested I take some strong solid deodorant and rub on the cords – cats hate the smell. Seems to work.

I took the boys (two shih tzu crosses Willy (5) and Jake (2)) for their check up and vaccinations this morning. I had Willy on the exam table and Jake on a leash by my feet. They were both getting a full vaccination so one shot in each hind leg. As the first needle went into Willy's leg, Jake let out a low but distinct grrrrrrr. I shushed him but as the second needle went in.....grrrrrr again. When Jake got on the table (and Willy was by my feet) the vet asked if Jake was going to growl at him when he stuck him with the needle. I told him I didn't think so....but as the needle went in....grrrrrr....from the floor again. I guess my boys are more tuned in to each other than I thought--and seem to be very protective of each other! The vet said he'd never seen anything like it! Too cute
    Don't let the small things sweat

Love it! And as long as no one got bit, and the doggies got past it, all is good.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Spoose - that is HILARIOUS!! I love it!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

+ Reply to Thread