+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Too cute, PA, have fun.

A friend of mine took in a baby squirrel who fell out of a tree and the parents never rescued her. They raised her indoors and got her a huge cage with real tree branches inside (and a sling bed and toys) and she was another family pet. They gave her a hamster ball for being loose in the house, until she outgrew it. When the weather warmed up, they put the cage outdoors. And when they moved, they built the cage around a real tree, so she could climb it, but she was still confined. She figured out how to open the door repeatedly, so they left it open and she'd leave and came back to hang out in there and get supplemental food.

She found a mate and had babies and still comes around.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;4083365;
    Too cute, PA, have fun.

A friend of mine took in a baby squirrel who fell out of a tree and the parents never rescued her. They raised her indoors and got her a huge cage with real tree branches inside (and a sling bed and toys) and she was another family pet. They gave her a hamster ball for being loose in the house, until she outgrew it. When the weather warmed up, they put the cage outdoors. And when they moved, they built the cage around a real tree, so she could climb it, but she was still confined. She figured out how to open the door repeatedly, so they left it open and she'd leave and came back to hang out in there and get supplemental food.

She found a mate and had babies and still comes around.

How cool is this? I think squirrels are so cute, and would love to have one as a pet but I always thought the squirrel wouldn't like it so much.

PASnowBunny, congratulation on being adopted again. My first family cat was a calico, she had the tiniest paws. She was an indoor/outdoor cat, and I used to call her the Great, White, Black, and Orange Hunter. She brought us many a "present" over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;4083663;
    How cool is this? I think squirrels are so cute, and would love to have one as a pet but I always thought the squirrel wouldn't like it so much.
    Thanks...I love that story.

PASnowBunny, congratulation on being adopted again. My first family cat was a calico, she had the tiniest paws. She was an indoor/outdoor cat, and I used to call her the Great, White, Black, and Orange Hunter. She brought us many a "present" over the years.[/QUOTE]
    Oh, yeah...those gifts.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

I had to put critter medicine on Chloe...major task...she is a no touch cat, unless she wants her back rubbed. She looks lovable, but don't be fooled. I explained it wasn't my fault she got a flea, but the Vet told me I probably brought it in the house on my clothes, oops!
    After two days, she has quit ignoring me and giving me the 'Mona look' and started to talk to me again.

Actually, her food bowl was empty and since she couldn't talk Mr. ing into filling it, it was either starve or suck it up and be nice to me.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Call them "dumb animals" all you want. I beg to differ! Actually, very calculating! They know how to get what they want!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have to report that I am officially "staff" for little Smokey the kitten! He has taken over the household and is lording it over all of us, especially poor Roxie. He still shows some healthy respect for Trinity, but they get along great. I got him one of those scratching things that's shaped in kind of an arch, but he doesn't want anything to do with it. I even put catnip on it and he ignores it, so any advice I can get from the cat experts on here on how to get him to scratch what I want him to scratch as opposed to my furniture would be very much appreciated!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'll have to think about cat scratching advice. They do make some repellant stuff to spray on what you don't want them to scratch, but I can't vouch for its effectiveness or safety.

Here's the best I can do right now. There's a saying that "cats are Nature's way of telling you that your furniture is too nice".

Or you could keep the cats out of the rooms with the nicest furniture. Oh, clipping their claws helps (but not advised if they go outside; they need them for defense; especially their hind claws). My cats only need claw clipping every 3 weeks or so.

I don't recommend declawing them; the claw is part of their foot/toe. It took my cat a year to emotionally get over having her front paws declawed...she'd try to jump and hang onto furniture, and miss/fall. She's the only one I ever had declawed, for that reason.

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Well, my house looks like we live with a tiger. Somethings look a little ratty.
    Cant really stop a cat from scratching, but you can slow them down a bit.
    Throw sheets over any good furniture. When they go to scratch he'll just get sheet.
    And any favorite places to scratch put on wide double sticky tape. They hate it.
    Get a tree stump and put it in the corner of the room. Tell him NOT to scratch, it is YOURS!
    He will soon be ripping it to bits. Good luck.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have only 1 gurl with all of her claws. I was a declawer, but then I began to feel badly about it. I've got 2 vertical (about 2.5 feet) scratching posts, and she does not tear up any furniture. I've got the posts in places where I tend to spend most of my time, and that seems to have been the right move since she can spend time and get my attention in those places. It's hilarious to see her wriggly butt shimmying up that post to sit on the 4 inch X 4 inch top and then leap to another surface, which is either my dresser or my 4 foot ladder (and then onto the readout panel on the treadmill.). You can't MAKE them use the post; it has to be their idea, from what I've seen. There just doesn't seem to be any magic. She is clipped on a regualr basis, but also has an affinity for my bed cover, which is old anyway. I have a new one that I'd love to put on, but I don't want us to have a falling out. Her clawing of the cover is minimal, and she is easily discouraged by the "house concierge"....me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It can help to yell "NO!" at them when they scratch on something unallowed. But I have been sitting on the bed reading/writing or on the phone, and have one come up and scratch on the box springs, 1-2 feet from me. To whom I yell "Are you CRAZY!!!". They know I won't hit them and it's safe to misbehave within reach, except for the b@!*$&-ing.

You're right. It's natural instinct, attention-craving, or "I think it's feeding time"...depending.

If the dry food bowls go empty during the nite, one of my cats will come sit near my waist as I'm sleeping, and purr loudly. It is a very distinctive purr (a loud and demanding purr). It's like she almost knows how to suck up, since I love purring, but not quite. If I am slow to wake up/acknowledge her, she'll start clawing at the covers or my jammies with both paws, like she's digging for China. But she'll quit and leave me alone if I tell her no. Heck, I need an hour or two more of sleep, and I haven't eaten since last nite either. I refuse to let them be the boss of me all the time. Who am I kidding, I am staff.

Another interesting behavior of cats is that they will tear open a new sack of food, even though their bowl is full of THE SAME FOOD. I could almost understand if it was a different variety or flavor. My vet said it is their hunting instinct. Nice to know, but still aggravating as heck! That's how I switched to plastic tubs/containers as I got tired of sweeping new food up off the floor.

+ Reply to Thread