+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

I need a little pet help. I hope I've come to the right place. Sorry, this may be longish post.

Can an old dog be retrained and how to do it.
    Here's the story. Three lovely pomeranians and their human, Charles, used to live with me. Tequila, female, approx 12 years old, Nikki, male, approx 11 yr old and Fave, female, approx 8. Fave was the runt of Tequila's second and last litter, Nikki was the sire. Nice little Pom family.
    Tequila had a previous owner, prior to Charles. When they first came to live with me, Tequila was anti-social because the previous owner's 4-yr-old son was overly rough. (I think abusive, but I can't say for sure.) She had lost a lot of her hair and was just very high-strung. Tequila was afraid to go up or down stairs, hated children and would snap if startled or approached suddenly from behind. I had to tell her I was behind her, if she didn't see me. After several months she calmed down, but was really only ever attached to Charles. She would sit in my lap and allow me to pet her, but only Charles could brush her. She learned how to go up and down stairs, although it was like a toddler, one step at a time. Nikki and Fave, on the other hand, attached themselves to my daughter and me with no problem.
    All three dogs were house-trained, but they stayed in the bathroom (with food, water, and bedding) while we humans we out during the day and that's where they slept at night. They are very attached to eachother. They all lived with me for about 5 years.
    Then about 18 months ago, Charles bought a house and they all moved out. It was a fixer-upper and the previous owner had several untrained animals (cats & dogs). Charles had to rip up all the flooring, clean & seal the subfloors, and replace all the carpet with laminate and linoleum to rid the house of the animal smells.
    Tequila has lost all her training in all the confusion. She refuses to come in from the backyard (safe, fully-fenced) even overnight. She refuses to go into the bathroom if Charles has to leave the house or when its time for bed. (Oh, Charles did retire, so he doesn't have to leave them in the house alone all day.) When we say, "Bathroom, dogs," she takes off downstairs and hides. She has been pooping all over downstairs, which despite her age, I don't believe is an incontinence problem. She has started getting into garbage cans and making messes. She seems less attached to the other two; she goes her own way. Charles tells me she is like this all the time.
    I don't live in the new house, so I only see the dogs about once a week. When I go over the other two are all over me and under my feet. She barks and slinks off somewhere. She really barks if Charles hugs me in front of her. For the life of me, she acts jealous. (I realize I am applying a human emotion to her.)
    I am worried that she is reverting to some of her anti-social behaviors. We've tried giving treats when they are all in the bathroom, carrying her into the bathroom when we have to leave, leaving her outside if she refuses to come in. I hate to scold her, but Charles does about the pooping and garbage cans. I worry about her abused early years and how to discipline her now without further harming her. She really is a loving dog when she wants to be.
    Any dog experts out there? Thanks!!

Anemone - I am not a dog expert but I've been through a situation much like yours. I have an almost twelve year old Jack Russell Terrier and he has always been hard to control but when we moved to a new house he basically went insane. He would not come inside when we called him and he had "potty issues" just like you described. He is now on "dog prozac" - I know that sounds silly but it really has worked for my dog. My suggestion for you is to consult a vet about your dog's behavior - it certainly worked for us.

FORT Fogey
    Anemone, I'm getting ready for work but I'll reply later today.

I've also copied your post and plopped it into an e-mail that I will share with my pals at the New England Pomeranian Rescue (http://www.pomeranian-rescue.org).

I will do what I can to get you some answers.

Thanks Doxie and Pomeraniac!!
    Doxie, do you have the name of that medicine so that I may read up on it?
    Pomeraniac, I look forward to any info you may have, too!
    My thanks, again.

Anemone - sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

The "dog prozac" that our dog is on is Amitriptyline. He's around 20 pounds and gets 1/2 of a 75mg. pill with his food every night. I hope that everything works out for you.

giz
    The girl I tutor is Korean. Her mum and dad still live there, and she's been told that if she reads 130 books this year, they will get a dog for her to see when she comes home on holiday visits (she's 11!). I asked if they live in an apartment, and she said yes. I said, why don't they get a cat, and she said that people in Korea don't have cats as pets, they think all cats are bad, thieves and untrustworthy.

I'm depressed now. Poor Korean cats. I know there are worse things in the world, but it just seems odd to me that cats are stigmatised like that. I'd had kind of a feline day, cause my son's friend just got two darling kittens (almost seem too small to be away from mama), and then I came home to our fat tom lazing around in the garden smiling to himself. Now I'm feeling sorry for Koreans missing out on all this fun.

Yah, giz, I never get that either.
    It seems as if cats have a special type of hatred for them. In my opinion/world, you rarely see people that HATE dogs...people that are scared of them, people that don't want the hassles of dog ownership, people that are sort of indifferent to them, etc., sure. But with cats, you see people who hate them...have mean bumper stickers about hitting them, make jokes about cooking them, etc. I don't think it's limited to Korea though, there's plenty of folks around here that feel that way too...
    My theory is it's because cats are less needy/more aloof. Makes people nervous...

p.s. your story reminds me of how when I was in 4th grade my mom promised me a kitten if I got straight A's, and then when I acutually got them, she said, "wow...didn't think you'd actually get all A's...that's why I made the offer." then hemmed and hawed and never got me a kitten. grr...18 years later...still mad. finally got a kitten though.

Premium Member
    I'm a little worried about my Silky Terrier. Dolly has a small lumpabout the size of a marble on the right side of her back on her rib cage. I just noticed it for the first time today. She's 7, and I remember my first Golden Retriever had a lot of lumps when he was older that the vet said were fatty tumors and nothing to worry about. Otherwise she's fine, but I'm calling my vet first thing Monday morning. I hate that this kind of thing always seems to come up on a weekend so now I get to worry about it for 2 days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awww, poor Dolly. Good idea to consult the vet although I'm sure she'll be fine. As a child, I had a poodle named Gidget with a golf ball size lump on the side her stomach. I can't remember exactly what it was but I know it was nothing to worry about. She had it until she died at 14 years old.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I'm a little worried about my Silky Terrier. Dolly has a small lumpabout the size of a marble on the right side of her back on her rib cage. I just noticed it for the first time today. She's 7, and I remember my first Golden Retriever had a lot of lumps when he was older that the vet said were fatty tumors and nothing to worry about. Otherwise she's fine, but I'm calling my vet first thing Monday morning. I hate that this kind of thing always seems to come up on a weekend so now I get to worry about it for 2 days.
    I just went through this three days ago with my 10-year-old Terrier/mutt. It also turned out to be a fatty tumor and nothing to worry about. I hope your diagnosis is the same, Marley. I agree the timing is never convenient. When my daughter was little she was besieged with ear infections, and they always seemed to arise at midnight.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread