+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4078459;
    The hard food they sold me is the Hills Prescription k/d, I got one can of Hills soft k/d, one can of Purina NF, one can of Iams Renal. I've already mixed the hard with his existing IAMS hard food and effective immediately there will be no more people tuna even though it was only about a teaspoon each day. The Wellness Salmon & trout canned that he liked I am going to try these three I bought to start.

The thing is The Hills label says "with Chicken" and I don't think Joey ever liked chicken, but We sure as heck are going to have a talk with him, about what is good and what is not, so maybe he'll listen.

Thank You all for your thoughts.

Please let us know how he likes it.
    Thoughts are with you / Joey.
    BTW, cats can live for years with CRF, esp. when it's caught early like this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I received this today in an e-mail. It's about tagging black bears in Algonquin Park in Ontario. This is the cutest thing I've seen in a while and funny too, since Rick Mercer is hilarious. He has his own show on CBC. This really put a smile on my face

Proppe's Paddles: Rick Mercer Visits Algonquin Park

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The gurls mommy~~~Moi!~~~got a Dyson Animal Vacuum cleaner last week, and I am shocked at what has come out of my carpet that I thought I was vacuuming up with my Hoover!!! Got to admit that there is a definite difference in air quality already, though. It's a refurb, so I didn't pay that showroom-new price. Merry October-Christmas to me and the gurls!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 10-07-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Shay, since I've put in the hard floor I am shocked at how much hair I get up if I don't sweep every day as well. Marry Christmas to you!@
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

canuck: That was fabulous! Rick is so funny! I have been following Hope and Lily. Lily gave birth to Hope on Jan 22nd. There was a live cam placed in the den a few weeks before the expected day. I watched that live cam for days waiting for Hope. I had an open window all day at work. I got lucky, and just so happen to be working away when I heard loud noises, I was able to watch it live!

This organization is amazing as I'm sure all others are as well. I've learned so much about bears. I never realized all the work that is involved in researching them and how many years they have been keeping tabs on bears. Hope was smaller than the bears in RM's clip when she was born.

Look at her now!

Den Cam Videos

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

just1paul - - I'm very sorry to hear this about Joey! *hug* there can be many healthy years ahead! One of mine lived five good years after diagnoses. Having gone CRF with a couple of cats I have a few thoughts of things I have learned.

I think the most important is starting Sub - Q's right away. 50 every other day. Or as needed. But don't do over 50 at one time. It is Not hard! And the benefits are amazing.

Pepcid! A must! 5 mg. every other day. Or if needed, every day. Start it now, even if he is not having symptoms. CRF causes an high amount of stomach acid. So starting him on this will eliminate a lot of problems down the road. And help him to continue to eat. They have it to go in the IV line now. Don't bother with the CRF diets. I know - they will try and sell you on this but the benefits are not worth it. And you start messing up the normal diet of a cat, and then you are dealing with not eating issues.

UP the protein! Give them as much as they want! CRF causes muscle wasting and weakness. And to counter balance that they need protein. We even gave them baby food at 2 am. It really helped. I know the Vet will tell you to lower the protein. They say this to try phosphorus management. They even do binders. I'm not really all that supportive of binders. But some find it very helpful. If you do - please, NO epikitten {sp?} brand.

Do NOT worry about his weight! Even if he is chubby boy. You will be so thankful for every ounce once he starts to loose. And he will start loosing weight. It just comes with CRF

To try and say this delicately - Research and find that line for the end. You will have a hard decision ahead. And knowing when you have to say stop, now, will help you at that time. Because they will start offering you all sorts of solutions. And some places you don't want to go. But if you know ahead - it just make is easy to see what is best for Joey. I hope I said that correctly.

Yahoo has a great support group for CRF and Phosphorus Management. But some there can go to far in the care. I'm super big on healthy happy lives NOT the longest misery.

I'm here with support if you want to talk. PM. I'm feeling a bit sad an jittery and hope that I have been clear and helpful. Just brought up a lot of memories - good and bad. Best of luck! And enjoy every moment with Joey that you have. You have caught this early, with care he could still live along time. At the very least he will live a comfortable time.

Thank you for the advice - it is all being absorbed right now and we have started the beginning with the food. I'll keep you ALL posted.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I knew that after Wednesday there would be no more tuna, so I have even banished that word from my vocabulary. None of the food is called by "flavor" anymore it is all "food"....

Ok so I walked over to the Doctors office and Erin the receptionist went to the shelves and explained the different foods and I ended up with a 4 lb bag of Hills Prescription feline k/d dry food, a 5.5 oz can of Hills Prescription feline k/d wet, a can of Purina CNM NF formula and a can of Iams renal feline.
    Erin tells me that the Hills canned and dry are the ones that most cats like best and I had said to myself "sure they do - I bet I get the difficult one".

Got home and mixed a bit of the dry with his existing Iams dry and he sniffed and walked away. So later in the evening when he would normally get his Wellness Salmon & Trout, I looked at the can of Hills and saw "with chicken" Okay he hates chicken but what the heck. He was napping so I just put some on a plate and put it down without saying anything. (I put out about a 1/4 of a can) about an hour later he strolls out of the bedroom and sniffs the food takes a couple of licks and walks away. I say nothing but leave it there. He comes out later and finishes off the plate!!

Erin had told me that when I take the food out of the frig, to add a few drops of warm water to make a little bit gravy like, so the next morning I see the hard food has Iams eaten but Hills pieces laying on the table. Stinker was probably picking them out. I get the wet food out and put it down and he scarfs it down.

Got home from work, instead of tuna I put some hills wet out and he eats it. Looks like that hurdle is over, at least for now. The Iams wet with rice he licked and walked away from. The Purina wet (looked and felt like a hockey puck)he sniffed and pushed the plate away. That is something to see, a cat pushing a plate away.

As for the Hills hard food, I decided to see if I could get him to begin eating it, so I opened the crinkly bag (sounds like treats) did not say treats or anything - grabbed a handful of the hills and fed it to him a piece at a time and he ate it!! (I guess I can stop the real treats now too) Today I got home from picking up more Hills wet food and I see the dry food is being eaten with the Iams, so now I can begin to mix it and continue on.

Sorry for the long winded letter but the food is sometimes the worst hurdle. So at least now we know there is a fighting chance of trying to maintain his system.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

So glad you and Joey are winning the eating battle.
    Count your blessings!

Thanks for keeping us updated. Very glad to hear Joey is adjusting to the new food.

Louie is so fussy, he'd probably starve to death. Don't you love the sniff and walk away routine!

+ Reply to Thread