+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

queenb, I hope your Ringo comes home soon. My Buddy is an indoor-outdoor cat. He is not at all needy when the weather is fair, but as soon as it gets a little cold, he is hugging the doorstep waiting for us to let him in. We have a nice perch and cat hut up high on the covered porch, too, which makes him feel safe. But like I said, even though he has a nice place outside, he knows where his home is when the going gets rough. I hope your Ringo is ready to come back soon.

My cats have also always been indoor/outdoor and sometimes disappear for days before coming home. Hope Ringo is safe and ready to head home soon.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Hope Ringo is home safe soon
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

queenb - I am hoping Ringo is home very soon.

On another note: Monday Joey had his 6 month checkup and annual bloodwork.

Had the phone call from Dr. Bennetts
    Joeys kidney enzymes are elevated at 37 - - normal BUN goes as high as 34, his last check up was 31
    Creatin is 2.7 normal goes as high as 2.3 his last one was 2.5

Being that he is 14 and considered senior - the most likely explanation is that he has developed chronic kidney disease which is fairly common in older cats,and there is no cure. We can try to control this with a kidney sparing diet of prescription foods which are limited in proteins and high in phosporous, however these foods are fattening and we still need to keep his weight down.

I am going to call Dr. Bennetts today and walk over there after work to see about some of this food that I can buy from them to at least start tryingto get him weaned over to the new stuff.

Just thought you should all know.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

just1paul - I hope Joey takes to the new food with no problem. Both my pets are senior and I worry about health problems cropping up. Thinking of you.
    Count your blessings!

Joey is so lucky to have you as his staff, just1paul. I don't think anyone else in the world would take better care of him.

queenb, I hope Ringo is home soon, I know you must be worried.

I have been working from home for the last two weeks, and I am just shocked at how much my dogs sleep during the day. I actually have to wake them up to take them for a walk around noon. What a life!

just1paul - Hopefully Joey takes to his new food well and doesn't gain too much weight. He is so lucky to have you, and I'm sure you feel lucky to have him.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

just1paul You are no doubt the best staff that Sir Joey could possibly have. I'm sure with your care he will eat his new food. You are both in our thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4078072;
    queenb - I am hoping Ringo is home very soon.

On another note: Monday Joey had his 6 month checkup and annual bloodwork.

Had the phone call from Dr. Bennetts
    Joeys kidney enzymes are elevated at 37 - - normal BUN goes as high as 34, his last check up was 31
    Creatin is 2.7 normal goes as high as 2.3 his last one was 2.5

Being that he is 14 and considered senior - the most likely explanation is that he has developed chronic kidney disease which is fairly common in older cats,and there is no cure. We can try to control this with a kidney sparing diet of prescription foods which are limited in proteins and high in phosporous, however these foods are fattening and we still need to keep his weight down.

I am going to call Dr. Bennetts today and walk over there after work to see about some of this food that I can buy from them to at least start tryingto get him weaned over to the new stuff.

Just thought you should all know.
    JustPaul,

Monet went in for bloodwork shortly after I got him.
    He tested on high end, too, though just a bit lower ( at upper range of both Bun and Creatinine, though not above it).
    Sincer Chaucer had passed from CRF - his values were much more elevated than Joey's or Monet's, the Vet said to put him on the new diet ASAP.
    He eats Hill's Prescription Diet K-D feline with chicken. It's important to get the one with chicken, as it's quite similar to the regular Hill's food. Even non- CRF cats like it. The regular K - D is not that good.
    Also, I really didn't have to wean Monet from his prior food - it was also Hill's - Monet took to the K - D immediately. Even my sister's cats like it.
    Monet got re-tested and has been doing well and in control ever since he went on the diet.
    It's pretty important, too, to always give them the wet food. The crunchies, though they all like them, are not really so good for cats as they can lead to CRF. I give Monet a combo of the both, but don't overly feed him crunchies.
    Monet's now 15 and is doing great and he's been on the diet about 2 - 3 years.
    By the way, my Vet said he was not worried at all about Monet's weight - Monet's a bit on the stout side - because of the CRF. The extra weight protects them when they have CRF as long as it's not to the obese point.
    I've never had to give him Sub - Q's either, like I had to with Chaucer.
    Hope all goes well. He's lucky to have you.

QueenB,

I told my Ringo ( canary) that your Ringo flew the coop. He's hoping for his return too!!
    Last edited by norealityhere; 10-06-2010 at 04:51 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

The hard food they sold me is the Hills Prescription k/d, I got one can of Hills soft k/d, one can of Purina NF, one can of Iams Renal. I've already mixed the hard with his existing IAMS hard food and effective immediately there will be no more people tuna even though it was only about a teaspoon each day. The Wellness Salmon & trout canned that he liked I am going to try these three I bought to start.

The thing is The Hills label says "with Chicken" and I don't think Joey ever liked chicken, but We sure as heck are going to have a talk with him, about what is good and what is not, so maybe he'll listen.

Thank You all for your thoughts.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread