+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1385Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;4075609;
    Now, is there a scientific basis for "tortitude"?
    Thanks for the !!
    Gutmutter, a tortoiseshell is a cat that is orange/black all over except maybe white paws, a face marking, or belly. If you would describe it more as "a white cat with orange and black spots" it's a calico.
    The tabby you describe is, I think, a "classic" tabby. There are 3 tabby patterns; classic, which has the 'bullseye" or swirl effect, 'ticked" or "agouti" so you can hardly see any stripes except on the face or legs, and "mackerel", where the stripes are up and down like a tiger or "spots' like fish scales.
    Ringo is a mackerel tabby, and I still can't find him. The food was gone from the trap this morning and the door was sprung sometime between 7-10 am,so I'll try again tonight.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4075728;
    Ringo is a mackerel tabby, and I still can't find him. The food was gone from the trap this morning and the door was sprung sometime between 7-10 am,so I'll try again tonight.
    Have you tried using an electric can opener outside? That used to be the almost fool-proof way to get cats to come (indoors, I no longer have one). Heck, I'd try it...with a 200 foot extension cord.

Also, ask all your neighbors, put up signs around your area (and at vets) and even do a print or online ad. And don't just call the shelter(s), go there, if you can, and find out how long they keep strays so you can go back often enough.

You may know all of this, but just in case...

Good luck!

ETA: One more thing, put a T-shirt or something else you've worn, that has your scent on it (in the trap).
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

queenb - bullseye it is! Thanks!
    Count your blessings!

I don't have an electric can opener, but I'll try putting some of my clothes in there. ; anyway, still no kitty although there was a possum in the trap this morning.
    I'm putting pictures up and have told the neighbors. I am hopeful he will show up eventually, and that one of the jillion unrestrained dogs around here hasn't run him off entirely.

Buglover; that's cool that victor got to visit with a kangaroo! And I'm glad it didn't 'box' him (Surely it wasn't one of those HUGE kangaroos?)

queenb I've had trouble re-catching cats in traps. Ringo might be avoiding the trap if he has been caught in one before or if he is having luck hunting (no need for your food).
    If mine go missing for a few days, it is either spring or fall. The hunting is too tempting with all the critters looking for food and winter shelter. Ringo may have been used to hunting during this time of year and is just answering his call of the wild. I bet he is closeby and is watching you look for him.
    They are tricky when they don't want to be caught. I have found some of my cats, by going out after dark and shinning a flashlight over the field/woods. The light reflects in their eyes making them easy to spot.
    One of mine likes to hide/sleep underneath the truck in the spare tire. Could he have been shut up in a neighbors shed/storage building? I hope he comes home soon.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This is why I don't allow my gurls outside access, unless I am right there to bring them back in within a short amount of time. It's not good (nor healthy) for them, and it's not good for me (since it leads to me freaking out ). I know that everybody does not feel the way that I feel about the situation. There's plenty of ripping and running room inside the house, and they hunt each other (and me) if they are in the mood.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We’re getting new windows installed this week, which I’m thrilled about. However, Bella is not liking the noise and disruption coming from the downstairs unit. She’s been whining a little, and ‘hiding’ in various corners. The tools/machine they use to remove the old windows is kinda loud and freaking her out a bit. She even refused her treats, which has never happened. It must really be upsetting her.

My place is scheduled to be worked on Thursday and I’ll probably put her in the kitchen (it has a door) while they do the rest of the windows then put her in the bedroom when they do the kitchen window.

It’ll all be worth it when I see those lower electric and gas bills, and the new energy efficient windows look so much nicer.

queenb - hope you find your kitty soon.
    Last edited by tango7; 10-05-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Queenb - I sure hope Ringo turns up soon.

Smokey is doing great. He's fitting right in and already bossing Roxie around something terrible. The only problem I'm having is that he prefers dog food to his kitten food! But, since he came to us when he was so tiny, maybe he thinks he's a dog.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

Has anyone--or everyone--seen the OK go official video for White Knuckles? All the dogs in it are rescues, and the group is donating money from the song to the ASPCA.

It's available on youtube. Actually, if you just type "OK go dogs" in as a youtube search, it comes up.

I couldn't tell you a thing about what the song is about, because I was too busy watching the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4077389;
    This is why I don't allow my gurls outside access, unless I am right there to bring them back in within a short amount of time. It's not good (nor healthy) for them, and it's not good for me (since it leads to me freaking out ). I know that everybody does not feel the way that I feel about the situation.
    Me too. I just can't figure out what caused him to decide to jump out--normally Ringo is too lazy to even jump up on the window sill.
    Tango, if Bella isn't an outside kitty, you're smart to keep her closed up while the old ones are being changed.
    The food is disappearing, but I think it's the neighbors cat getting it; it smells kind of like 'tom' out there today. Hopefully Ringo will eventually get tired of having to feed himself and come back. I'm checking the shelter again tomorrow,

Tilde, I had never heard of this group before and hope not to again...but the dogs were cute. I like the part with the dogs running on the colored boards/
    Last edited by queenb; 10-06-2010 at 01:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread