+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1336Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;4068523;
    Did they tell you how long she'd been at the shelter? Am just curious why the rabies vac expired so soon. Maybe her former person turned in her vac record?
    The paper says she rec'd a rabies vaccine on 8/3/09 good for 1 yr.
    Owner is indicated to be the shelter itself.
    Somehow they got her birthdate - 6/4/08.
    I describe her coloring as grey/tan but the papers say blue/cream, which sounds prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;4068547;
    The paper says she rec'd a rabies vaccine on 8/3/09 good for 1 yr.
    Owner is indicated to be the shelter itself.
    Somehow they got her birthdate - 6/4/08.
    I describe her coloring as grey/tan but the papers say blue/cream, which sounds prettier.
    I just realized that I'd confused her with someone else's comments about their tortie (tortoiseshell) cat! Thus the "tortitude" comment.

Your photos looked dark on my screen and I had to tilt it in order to see that's she's lighter. Sorry for the confusion...

Since they have her birthdate, it sounds like she was born at the shelter.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Hmm. Yes, it could be that this is Bella's first real home. I didn't think to ask where she came from. It doesn't really matter, but I'm kinda curious. If they know her exact DOB she's not a stray. I might try to find out more. The shelter has a good-sized staff, and the design & layout are cute. Looks like a daycare center with lots of kitty artwork on walls, etc. Little tiny tables & chairs, and it was very clean. They have a website, newsletter, have frequent events, and I hear they get lots of nice donations (no govt funds). Over 300 cats are there at any given time. They even have a separate bldg which is the surgery center and recovery area, and an onsite thrift shop.

Some cats were in cages, but most were walking around. I saw a few poor things with missing limbs - but they were walking around.

My dog is afraid to walk on the kitchen floor in my new house! It is a little slippery, but he's going to have to figure it out eventually. I put throw rugs at the two points of transition and am picking him up and depositing him halfway to the door. He did come back in by himself this morning. Is this normal?
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4068892;
    My dog is afraid to walk on the kitchen floor in my new house! It is a little slippery, but he's going to have to figure it out eventually. I put throw rugs at the two points of transition and am picking him up and depositing him halfway to the door. He did come back in by himself this morning. Is this normal?
    I wouldn't say it's particularly abnormal, particularly if he's already made one successful attempt to come back in on his own as early as this morning. He's probably just adjusting to the surface and the whole idea of being in a new place. Even if it's just a little slippery, if your dog has any instability issues, because he's a puppy or an older dog or has any kind of health issue that makes him even slightly less stable, he might need some time to figure out how to manage it. If none of that applies, it's probably getting used to something that's new. You might try getting him to adjust by making it worth his while to try to adjust to the new surface--if he's just afraid of it, placing something he wants (treat, toy, whatever) on it and giving him time to go get it (and praising him when he does) might do the trick. When a previous dog of mine who'd had ACL surgery started refusing to get into the car even after he was physically capable of doing so again, I started putting his food dish in the car at supper time. I have an attached garage that connects to my kitchen, so he could just walk from the kitchen and get into the car from there. He was very food motivated, so when he realized that if he wanted supper, he was going to have to get into the car, he decided it was worthwhile to get into that car.

He loves to sit near me when I'm on my laptop or reading, so I took your advice and started using my laptop on a chair in the little room beyond the kitchen. He came right over, so I think he's starting to get the hang of it.
    Count your blessings!

tango7 Bella's mom could have been brought into the shelter, where she delivered her kittens. She could have been a litter of rescued kittens. That might explain why the shelter is listed as her previous home. Whatever happened, she has a loving home and she is training YOU very well.

Gutmutter we have hardwood floors in our house, all except for the sunroom which has a slick hard vinyl tile floor. Duke, german shepherd, walked fine on the hardwood, but he would always stop at the sunroom door. Whenever he came into the sunroom, he walked very slow and looked as though he was concentrating very hard so as not to fall. He liked to lay on that floor in the summer, because it was always cool. You probably know this, be careful of the throw rugs and make sure they don't slip when your dog walks on them.

Tilden my dogs eat all kinds of things not intended for them to eat. In my perennial beds, I have plastic and metal plant labels... the plastic labels
    started disappearing... I was working in the beds and heard...crunch...crunch... and it was my old dog eating the plastic labels.
    One of my dogs loves paper...toilet, towels, plates, and cloth, shop rags, gardening gloves, ropes. I have to be very careful and Doogie Proof inside and outside.
    And then Chloe ( indoor cat) loves grass. I keep her a container of Oat grass ... one she grazes...and one growing.

A very touching story. Play the video on the top right hand.

Rosco died chasing 17-year-old Kamyn Bright, who police suspect attempted to rob a McDonald’s on Colonial Boulevard. Bright’s shots that killed Rosco drew return fire from officers that killed Bright.

Fallen Fort Myers police dog remembered | news-press.com | The News-Press

Rest in Peace Rosco and Thank You for your service.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Rosie and Bogie arrive back in Florida on Sat. I haven't seen them or my daughter in almost 2 months. Must remember when I walk in the house up there to kiss daughter first, not dogs.
    Rosie will be so happy. She hates cold. I call her sundog, she will be glad to "retire" to Florida. Bogie's going to miss the snow.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread