+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1319Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

FORT Fogey

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4067936;
    We DON'T do WEEDS.....

Catnip is a member of the mint family, and certainly does grow like weeds.

Yes it does; I've got a big pot of it in the house that I trim back almost to the bottom about once a month, and it comes back stouter than ever. I reckon I have YEARSA of catnip in ziplocs!

Tilden, you do know my original post was a joke, I hope? I certainly was not trying to say your dog is stupid. We all know cats do dumb things too-and they do eat grass also; just watch one of those funniest video shows and it's obvious that no species has a monopoly on silliness. Of course, for doing spectacularly stupid and clumsy things, nothing can match a human.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

My girl is home! Belle started eating today and got the clear from the docs to be released. She's on a medicine for her hyperthyroid problem that I can apply (via a lip-gloss like device) to her inside ear (which is better than me trying to pill her twice a day and buying falconer's gloves). Her appetite is definitely back, as she ate her food and some of her brother's. He's not so sure about her--she looks the same but smells weird. That will pass in a couple of days, or on Monday when I take them both back to the doctor to get their teeth cleaned. She's got a bit of a gum infection and needs to get her teeth cleaned and it's been a while since his have been done. Then Monday night they can both commiserate on how terrible I am. I love my vets--I have a friend in PR who is a vet and treats everything from farm animals to domestic pets, and I know how hard it is to get the degree. It almost makes looking getting an MD a bit anemic.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My doc always tells me to rub my gurl down with one of my t-shirts that I've worn when I bring her home from the vet's, so that she doen't smell so "funny" to the other gurls.....not that she lets them get near her...being aggravated, and all.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

PhoneGrrrl, glad she's home.

Question (for anyone) - next week will be my first trip to vet. Where do they give rabies shot (or any shot)? Rump, back, tummy . . .?

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;4068434;
    PhoneGrrrl, glad she's home.

Question (for anyone) - next week will be my first trip to vet. Where do they give rabies shot (or any shot)? Rump, back, tummy . . .?
    Depends on whether the vac/med is given sub-Q (subcutaneous, under the skin) or intramuscular (into the muscle).

Most cat vacs are given sub-Q, usually in the loose skin at the back of the neck (between the back of the head and the shoulders). They'll ask you which vacs you want and you should ask what they recommend (but see below). You should tell them whether your cat is going to go outdoors or not, and whether he/she will be living with or socializing with other animals.

Your city/state may have legal requirements for certain vaccinations and may even require that you license your pet. They may require that your pet wear a rabies tag.

Most vets lately want to have their tech hold/restrain your animal, rather than you doing it. And most vets have their techs do the injections. (heck, what do vets even do anymore? j/k)

I don't remember right now whether Rabies vac is different and given intramuscular, but for small animals intramuscular is usually in the upper hind leg.

The vet will probably do the exam (if you request an exam, there's a charge for it). Make sure that they check the ears (for earmites). Probably a good idea to get worming meds. They may administer it there or send it home with you (get instructions). They'll charge extra to check for worms (stool sample, kitty will NOT like that! it's an anal probe), but you can bring in a stool sample that you've collected yourself. Call and find out if that's OK and what the recommended procedure is (ziplock bag, refrigeration, etc.).

Also, remember that veterinarians are in business, so you have to do your own research and not just assume that certain procedures or medications are required. For example, for years, all of my pets got annual vaccinations, and then I found out that most are only needed every 2 years. ! Ask a lot of questions (about side effects, too). Some locales require annual rabies vac, though.

I've got a great link that I'll try to post later.

I'm not a vet but wanted to be one. Hope I don't get blasted by any vets or other vet care professionals.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

VelvetRed, thanks for all the information!
    They are going to do an exam. This is her first visit (I've only had her since July). I'll be sure to take the folder with all the information about her shots, etc. that the shelter gave to me. I've chosen a place that gets high recommendations - I've heard high praise from other pet owners. Prices are reasonabe, too. $27 for exam, $14 for rabies vaccine (but I don't know if it's a 1 yr or 3 yr).

tango, yvw. the shelter probably gave her some vacs (some might need a 2nd "booster" at a later time). You didn't mention if she's already spayed, but if not, that is something else to discuss with your vet. Sounds like you are a great cat parent already.

Btw, I went back and looked at her pix...she's beautiful. I am quite partial to torties (and yes, mine has tortitude).
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;4068461;
    tango, yvw. the shelter probably gave her some vacs (some might need a 2nd "booster" at a later time). You didn't mention if she's already spayed, but if not, that is something else to discuss with your vet. Sounds like you are a great cat parent already.

Btw, I went back and looked at her pix...she's beautiful. I am quite partial to torties (and yes, mine has tortitude).
    Yes, she is spayed and also licensed. I have papers on that.

She also got:
    FIV/Fel V
    Revolution parasite control
    Leukemia vaccine
    Strongid wormer
    She had rabies vac but they reminded me it expires Aug 1010 (I got her in July 2010).
    Microchip scan and tag

tango, that's great! Ahhhh, I see now why you first asked about rabies vac. "1010" must be a typo. I thought she looked like an adult cat, so I assumed that the shelter was leaving all the vacs up to you. They have to be a certain age (4-6 months, IIRC) to get the rabies vac.

Did they tell you how long she'd been at the shelter? Am just curious why the rabies vac expired so soon. Maybe her former person turned in her vac record?

+ Reply to Thread