+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

OOOOOHHHHHH! Joey and I are VERY MUCH around. User name has changed to my own just1paul. All I do around here as the STAFF is dust Mona's urn and BRUSH JOEY, brush, brush, brush and MORE brush. breakfast, and Doritos once in a while. You would do best to keep Bella the sweetie inside. Joey likes it in here. He still sleeps in his carrier sometimes, but knows when he is going to the doctor and does the four legged spread, but otherwise Mr. 15 year old is still my fella.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

AHAHAHAHA!!!! Thanks, I should have known by the Dean Martin pic.

I brush Bella regularly. She had a hairball problem and I hear regular brushing is good for that, and . . . .a little bit of vaseline on the paw (she licks it off and later the problem goes to the litter box, I guess.)
    Last edited by tango7; 09-22-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Paul taught me to keep a brush next to the computer for her highness, Miss Chloe Elizabeth. As much fur as I get off her, it's a wonder she is not bald, but she also, seldom leaves me a hairball. She just adores the brushing...which is more than I can say for a couple of the others.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;4066726;
    [I chose a cat (I wanted a grey one), .
    And I wanted an orange one--but BooBoo and Ringo chose me when i was checking out orangies I reckon I'll get an orange one one of these days!

Bella is pretty and it sounds like she's got that tortie-tude all right. You may be surprised later; the kitty i found for my Mom is just now, a year later deciding to sit on laps. She wasn't scared or anything, just making sure my parents were ok. And to start with, she only got in Mom's lap if there was a newspaper or magazine between her and the actual lap..

As for the rabies shot, there is another reason to get it. if kitty were to get hurt badly or need surgery for an ailment all of the sudden, most vets won't do it without the vaccine, and what if it's an emergency with no time to spare? I assume the reason they require proof of a rabies shot is because there is no way to prove the cat never goes outside.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

My notched-ear feral gurl, Miss Celie, snuck out when I had the door open to get the mail, and I didn't notice she was gone until 4 a.m. I almost lost my mind. She reappeared about 36 hours later, in spite of me walking up and down streets and driveways calling her name. Thank goodness she had had her shots. She won't go near the door now, no matter how long it may be left open. Must've brought back bad memories of her uncertain outdoor living days.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Monet managed to sneak out on my balcony one night without my knowledge.
    I didn't find him 'til the next morning.
    He hasn't repeated that, needless to say.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

inthegarden,
    Bella thanks you for the nice welcome.

queenb
    She kind of came up to me at the shelter and let me hold her briefly.

Bella is pretty and it sounds like she's got that tortie-tude all right.
    Interesting that you would say that! I have NEVER heard that expression until a couple weeks ago. My cousin and his wife came over (she works for a vet) and she said the exact same thing!

Bella did allow her front nails to be trimmed, but NOT the back ones. I bought some sandpaper hoping she would use it for her nails, but she wants nothing to do with it. I was telling cousin’s wife that Bella won’t sleep in her bed or on my bed – she likes the kitchen floor or behind (not on) a big armchair. I saw Bella testing out her little bed a month or so ago, but several times I’ve tried to pick her up and put her in it and she rebels. Ditto as far as my bed. I was told that she might change when winter comes – time will tell. But picking her up and trying to force her won’t work.

If she is on the sofa and I sit there – quietly – she is ok. But if I start talking on the phone, laughing, etc. she gets up and goes elsewhere (as if I’ve invaded her space).

She sometimes rubs against the leg of whatever chair I'm sitting in and meows; I'll say someting and she allows a brief pet. I love the fur right under her chin/neck,

ETA: I googled "tortitude" - In addition to their distinctive coloring, torties also have a reputation for unique personalities, sometimes referred to as “tortitude.” They tend to be strong-willed, a bit hot-tempered, and they can be very possessive of their human. Other words used to describe torties are fiercely independent, feisty and unpredictable. They’re usually very talkative and make their presence and needs known with anything from a hiss to a meow to a strong purr.
    Last edited by tango7; 09-22-2010 at 09:16 PM.

My groomer made me understand that I had to win the battle of the nail-clipping, just like you can't let a child win a battle of the wills. You just have to stay the course. Dez is a snatch and run gurl, and she's very fast. I've learned to tuck her under one arm and hold her firmly and talk to her while I trim the nails. She eventually gives up struggling and let's me take care of business. And she doesn't even get mad anymore. She just doesn't like to lose. Groomer-lady also said that once I start the process not to stop, because if I let her go without finishing, in her mind, she has won and that will make it more difficult the next time. So far, she's been right. This is the only gurl in the house with claws on all fours, so I was really out of practice. I've also learned just to "tip" the needle-y tips. It seems to get better each time.

I've learned to tuck her under one arm and hold her firmly and talk to her while I trim the nails.
    That's exactly what my cousin's wife did. But . . . I'm not there yet. Aren't there special clippers for this? I've also seen those "Pedi Paws" commercials.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I took my Belle in to the vet yesterday, and she's still there. The vet found she has a bladder infection and asked for my okay to check her thyroid levels. (They have you okay every expense--none of which are that much.) I said please do and found out an hour later she has hyperthyroidism, which is apparently common in older cats. The hyperthyroidism can be brought on either over time or by a traumatic event (say, a burglary!) and can lead to side effects like the bladder infection. They're treating her for both, but as of this evening, she's still not eating. I hope she eats something tonight so she can come home. If not, I'm going to go to the vet's office armed with her favorite food and some chicken baby food. The baby food may not be the best food in the world for her, but my sister used to be in the business of rescuing feral cats and they'd always come out of hiding for meat-based baby food. I am a bit reassured by the fact she's still her feisty self at the vet and just wants to get out of the cage she's in.

Tango, Bella is beautiful. Shay, I'm glad Miss Celie came home. In my experience, they're always hiding right there around your house but not wanting to be found to be scolded.

+ Reply to Thread