+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

PGM: Louie does the same thing. He won't eat any food at all if I'm not home. As soon as I walk in the door, he greets me with a toy, and the takes off to get a milkbone he buried somewhere and starts eating it. However, he is on some sort of schedule now where he won't eat his supper until later, 9pm or so.

Lil: Roxie is adorable!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4065101;
    just1paul - I tried to download (or upload? whatever!) a video of Roxie tilting her head back and forth while I talk to her. It's the cutest thing and if the picture made you giggle, that video would have you rolling on the floor. But, I couldn't get it to load. Picturing Joey stepping on your face has me giggling!

And for anyone wondering, that is my Roxie in my avatar.
    She is adorable and what a great name!
    Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm worried about my girl cat, Belle. A little over 3 weeks ago, our (meaning mine & my two cats') house was broken into. (Just electronics stolen before the cops got here....still pissed about losing 5 years of pictures, but that's small potatoes considering what else could have been gone.) My boy cat no doubt hid under the bed ASAP because he does that when I accidentally set the alarm off. But I know my girl--she likes adventure to the point of getting up in your face when you use a power drill because she's just that curious and might have gotten in the burglar's way. So I think she was traumatized by the burglary. (Anthropomorphic or not?) At first after the break-in, she just guarded the back door (where the robber came in) like she was on a mission. Then she started over-grooming to the point of hurting herself, which she did once before under stress. I gave her a lot of attention and tried some of the cat-calming products, and she seemed to stop. Well, I had to go out of town for one night last week, and she started back up with the over-grooming and now isn't eating much. She ate half-way regular on the weekend (it's hard to tell, when her brother might finish her plate; as said up-thread, cats graze) but today I really noticed the lack of appetite. (Although, she still does drink water like she should.) I'm calling the vet in the morning and trying not to worry too much. Does anyone know if they do cat anti-anxiety drugs? I know they do them for dogs, but I'm not sure about cats.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4065431;
    I'm worried about my girl cat, Belle. A little over 3 weeks ago, our (meaning mine & my two cats') house was broken into. (Just electronics stolen before the cops got here....still pissed about losing 5 years of pictures, but that's small potatoes considering what else could have been gone.) My boy cat no doubt hid under the bed ASAP because he does that when I accidentally set the alarm off. But I know my girl--she likes adventure to the point of getting up in your face when you use a power drill because she's just that curious and might have gotten in the burglar's way. So I think she was traumatized by the burglary. (Anthropomorphic or not?) At first after the break-in, she just guarded the back door (where the robber came in) like she was on a mission. Then she started over-grooming to the point of hurting herself, which she did once before under stress. I gave her a lot of attention and tried some of the cat-calming products, and she seemed to stop. Well, I had to go out of town for one night last week, and she started back up with the over-grooming and now isn't eating much. She ate half-way regular on the weekend (it's hard to tell, when her brother might finish her plate; as said up-thread, cats graze) but today I really noticed the lack of appetite. (Although, she still does drink water like she should.) I'm calling the vet in the morning and trying not to worry too much. Does anyone know if they do cat anti-anxiety drugs? I know they do them for dogs, but I'm not sure about cats.
    Awww, your poor kitty. Yes, they do have anti anxiety drugs for cats, but I don't know much about them. Your vet will probably prescribe a mild sedative alongside the anti anxiety drugs, depending on your cat's stress level.
    Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

They always make me smile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Meet my kitty, Bella

bella 4.jpg

bella 5.jpg

bella 6.jpg

Hi everyone,
    I haven’t been to this thread for awhile, but it’s time to introduce everyone to my cat, Bella. I got her from a really nice local shelter in July. She is 2 yrs old, a short hair domestic, and it’s really working out well.

I haven’t had a pet since I was a kid. I love cats and I got some expert advice from a good friend who has 3 cats and knows a lot about their care, etc. Before we went “shopping” she inspected to make sure I was all set up.

I chose a cat (I wanted a grey one), and they give all the necessary shots and microchip; she had been spayed so no problem there. They gave me papers to show a vet when I take her. I renamed her (didn’t like her original name).

Bella is so good with her litter box! No messes or accidents; she only had to be shown once where it is. I scoop every day. She is not a lap kitty and doesn’t like to be picked up, but she likes me to pet her and when I do she nuzzles up to my hand/arm. Her favorite toy is the “Laser Mouse” . . .late at night after I turn off lights I tease her with it and she goes nuts chasing the red light, LOL! Good exercise, too. She is social – doesn’t run when visitors come and even lets them pet her.

Bella is strictly an indoor cat. However, I have an appt. to take her to a vet next week because her rabies vaccine expired a few weeks ago. There are different opinions on this (some people say it’s not necessary if I keep her indoors). But I think it’s best to be safe.

Anyway, that’s it for now. Let me know your thoughts.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm with you about it's best to be safe. Should Bella, accidentally, get out and you don't know it right away, she needs her protections just like kids who go to school. You don't know what "other element" (other cats) she could come into contact with. You also don't want her to nip somebody who's petting her, and cause a problem. It's for her (and your) own good. I never had a kitty that had a litterbox issue after the first couple of introductions, but I know that people can. She is a cutie-patootie! She looks calm and happy. I fully believe that cats/children take on the personality traits of their owners/parents unless something is just not right. Hopefully, you all are in for a lifetime of happiness! Congratulations!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4065431;

Phone Grrl,

One of my prior cats, Dex, got totally stressed when we did remodeling several years ago. Took him to the Vet and he told us this. Said that it can resolve itself in time, but that they did give cats the meds and that they worked real well. We never ended up giving him the meds, just a lot of attention and reassurance. He improved a lot, but I think he was one of those beings who always carry stress with them and usually internalize it. Animals are much like people in that sense.
    I do have some friends who do have to give meds to their cats and it helps them a lot.
    The poor cat went through a lot with that burglar. She sounds as feisty as my Dex was. Underneath, though, with both, I think it was all a big show. They were / are both "real softies", it seems.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4066739;
    I'm with you about it's best to be safe. Should Bella, accidentally, get out and you don't know it right away, she needs her protections just like kids who go to school. You don't know what "other element" (other cats) she could come into contact with. You also don't want her to nip somebody who's petting her, and cause a problem. It's for her (and your) own good. I never had a kitty that had a litterbox issue after the first couple of introductions, but I know that people can. She is a cutie-patootie! She looks calm and happy. I fully believe that cats/children take on the personality traits of their owners/parents unless something is just not right. Hopefully, you all are in for a lifetime of happiness! Congratulations!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, there is always that fraction of a chance that she would nip someone or even me and I say better safe than sorry. Like most cats, Bella is kinda sneaky and slick when it comes to trying to get outside. She hasn’t actually done it yet, but she has followed me down to my mailbox when I only left the door open a half inch. She probably just wanted to explore and gets bored, but I can’t take chances – if another tenant opens the door she will dart out. (My friend had an awful experience when her cat did that and disappeared for 2 weeks.)

As far as personality, she 1) wants to do thing on her own terms and n in her way and time 2) needs her own personal space 3) doesn’t like noise and commotion – just like me.

As soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning, she runs to me and starts meowing loudly wanting breakfast. Then she is okay. She sleeps a lot in the day and roams around in the wee hours at night. But Bella is good – she doesn’t jump on furniture (except the sofa) and hasn’t destroyed anything.

I give her a very small amount of wet food (Whiskas mixed with a little water) in the morning and thereafter she grazes on dry, interspersed with a few treats.

PS - is Gabriel still around? He had a big, pretty black and white cat named Joey (I think). I don't see any recent posts from him.
    Last edited by tango7; 09-22-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Bella is so pretty. I know you will enjoy her. If I had the choice, all of mine would be indoor cats. I only have one that stays inside all the time. The others were already outdoor cats and are miserable if they have to stay inside. They stay outside during the day, but I make them come in the shop at night. They have their own cat room with comfy warm beds for winter.
    Welcome Bella.

+ Reply to Thread