+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1385Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Update on Smokey. He's doing really well, once I figured out that training a kitten isn't like training a puppy. I was keeping him in a kennel and letting him out to play, but he would not use the litter box. After washing him, the kennel, and the blanket for the umpteenth time, I finally got the dog gate out, fenced off a small area in the laundry room for him with his bed, litter box, food and water dish and he started using the box immediately. I had to rig something to make it so he couldn't climb the gate and get out, but, after some trial and error, it's working out great.

Any advice on how to get him to stop trying to climb my leg when he wants to be held would be appreciated though.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Go SSSSSSSSSS!!!! like a peevy kitty; if that doesn't work pick him off without petting him and put him in his pen for a few minutes whenever he does it. Alternately,put him up on your shoulder and let him ride around.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

He's just a baby and wants to be held. I say pre-empt him and pick him up whenever he heads for you. He'll grow out of it.
    Just curious why you're restricting him to the laundry room. Once he's started using his litter box and knows where it is, he will want to use it. Cats are very fastidious that way.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Because she is used to d-o-g-s! Cats also need to eat more frequently than dogs since they don't usually wolf down all of their food. They tend to graze.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Cats are cows?
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yes, if that's how you choose to think about it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm keeping him in his space for awhile because I am still a bit nervous about Trinity. She (so far) hasn't tried to hurt him, but Trinity weighs 70 pounds and she doesn't realize how rough she gets when she's playing. So, for Smokey's own safety, he has his own little space where I don't have to watch constantly. I've been letting him out a lot when I'm here to supervise and make sure they all play nicely, though and they are getting along really well.

Thanks for the tip about the hissing, Queenb. Just now, he's sitting in my lap, and he tried to bite my arm. I hissed at him and he immediately stopped. I'm learning things all the time on Fort. Thanks everyone, for your help!

I don't know about other cats but this little one would eat until he burst if I let him. Maybe it's because he was trapped in the wall so long and got really hungry, but I tried leaving a bowl of dry food out for him and he just kept eating and eating. When I finally picked him up, his little belly was huge and hard. So, I feed him a little about 4 or 5 times a day now. I did notice that he didn't finish all that I gave him the last time I fed him, so maybe he's figured out that the food is going to keep coming and he doesn't have to eat it all.

And, speaking of dogs, both my dogs have food available all the time and neither one over eats. Roxie would overeat table food if I let her, but I don't let them have much, if any, of that.
    Last edited by Lil Bit; 09-17-2010 at 04:43 PM.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I've never known of an animal named Trinity, until last weekend in RL (dog), and now here. Huh.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;4063137;
    I've never known of an animal named Trinity, until last weekend in RL (dog), and now here. Huh.
    She is actually my sons dog (he rents our basement) and he is a major Matrix fan. He got Trinity right around the time all the Matrix movies were coming out.

Oh that poor little kitty. Your story of him eating until his tummy was distended reminds me of when I had a foster child who had restricted food in his former home. We always have a fruit bowl that's available any time for anyone and when he realized he could eat as much as he wanted any time he wanted, he overate at first, too.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread