+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1387Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Many cats/kittens are lactose intolerant.

Lactose intolerance in cats - Houston Cat Care | Examiner.com
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Thanks for the advice guys. I've had cats in the house, but not for many years, and never one this little. I'll get some kitten chow tomorrow and try the method Gutmutter suggested. We think he's a boy and we've been calling him Smokey. He follows Roxie all over the house. I think he thinks she's his mother. I'm not sure about Trinity yet. She is NOT a cat lover but she's been okay with the kitten. I actually think that Trinity has never really encountered a kitten this small and she isn't quite sure what she should do. They will have to be supervised until I'm sure that Trinity doesn't think Smokey is a snack or something though.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

In the likely event that Smokey has fleas, remember that you can't use flea meds on a kitten that young. I just researched this for my daughter on-line. Give him a good soak in warm water, then use a mild dish detergent like Dawn to suds up (not in the eyes!) and rinse. Expect resistance. Bundle up in a towel and keep warm afterwards. Then when dry, go outside and comb with a fine-tooth comb. They make flea combs, but if you have a very fine tooth comb or lice comb somewhere, that will work.
    Alternately, there is an electric comb that zaps the fleas. Not sure how easy they are to find, but I used to have one, and if you're patient, it works with less trauma.
    Count your blessings!

I love the picture of Roxie and the baby They make canned kitten food that might be easier for the baby at first too...good luck! It isn't old enough to have very much training from Mom yet (the eyes are still blue, meaning it's under 8 weeks) so if it ends up staying, just remember that unlike puppies, it can't be allowed to play with hands and feet--switch to a toy instead if it tries. Otherwise, the play-fighting kitty might play way too rough when it gets big, a common problemm with peple who think it's cute to let kitty play wrestle hands (sorry, pet peeve there!)
    Last edited by queenb; 09-12-2010 at 09:36 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I learned something new today. Thank you queenb!
    Count your blessings!

What a sweetie.
    They make a milk replacement for kittens... a powder that can be mixed with warm water, or sprinkled over dry food.
    I get mine at a farm supply store, but I've seen it at Wal-mart and Tractor Supply.
    And if you do bath it (which is a good idea) Some cats go crazy when they hear running water, so run the warm water bath before you bring the kitten in to put it in the sink, and thick leather gloves will save your hands, arms.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 09-12-2010 at 01:51 PM.

My husband climbed up in the shed and looked for the mama. He found what he thinks was her nest, but no momma and no kitties. So, we're thinking with all the commotion, she moved the other babies (if there were any). So, it looks like we have a new member of the family. I doubt that the mother would take him back anyway, with him smelling of human and dog the way he must by now. But, I gave him a bath this morning, per Guts instructions, and it went pretty well. He's tiny enough to handle easily though. We got him some wet kitten food, and he ate like a hog.

And for those who believe in karma, my husband bought a lottery ticket when he went to get the Sunday paper this morning, and won $100!!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Wonderful! Now you can let us know if THIS ever happens:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4059335;
    My husband climbed up in the shed and looked for the mama. He found what he thinks was her nest, but no momma and no kitties. So, we're thinking with all the commotion, she moved the other babies (if there were any). So, it looks like we have a new member of the family. I doubt that the mother would take him back anyway, with him smelling of human and dog the way he must by now. But, I gave him a bath this morning, per Guts instructions, and it went pretty well. He's tiny enough to handle easily though. We got him some wet kitten food, and he ate like a hog.

And for those who believe in karma, my husband bought a lottery ticket when he went to get the Sunday paper this morning, and won $100!!

That kitty-baby is adorable. Not only is your husband awesome but so are you and Roxie!

Funny about the winning ticket. Many years ago my friend rescued a cat that she saw someone throw out of a car window while driving. The young cat had masking tape wrapped around it from it's neck to the tip of it's tail. My friend asked me if I could keep the cat for 3 days until she could convince her Dad to let her keep it. My Dad said yes ... for 3 days.

On the 3rd day my Dad went to the Race track and won after a losing streak. My girlfriends Dad also said "NO" to keeping the cat, and my Dad said let's keep it because it brought him/us good luck!

Maybe the shelters that have so many sweet kitties needing homes should offer a free lottery ticket with every adoption! Good marketing!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The only way I would take in another kitty would be if it came to me by "divine intervention"!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread