+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

FORT Fogey

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4054469;
    Loving the stories! So, we're heading out for a week and my friend and daughter are taking my 2 dogs. I dropped them off, and it is a very weird feeling to come home to an empty house. No happy faces and wagging tails at the door, no water to change, no dog curled at my feet. It is a weird feeling every time we do it. I know it is going to be weird not to have the big Mastiff snores tonight. God love my friends though, because not everyone would want to look after such a large dog. The little old lady 16 yr. Shih Tzu is with my daughter. My husband and I were driving home and discussing the dogless-ness, and extolling how we could travel etc., if we weren't pet owners. Silence for a moment. Me: it wouldn't feel like a home to me without a dog. Husband: Yeah, I know. I guess that's it then
    A friend just got a Mastiff puppy a couple of weeks ago (she's a mix of English, bull, and American). Her Neapolitan mastiff had died in her sleep earlier in the summer. The Neapolitan mastiff was a certified therapy dog as is her Landseer Newfoundland, and she's working with the puppy already to get her ready to be a therapy dog, though she won't be able to certify her until she's at least a year. My dog has met the puppy and was used as a training exercise in leaving another dog alone, since once the puppy got overly excited and started barking at him, he utterly ignored her. He generally loves puppies, but he's never liked having another dog bark in his face, so he just sat there (and eventually stretched out) while she was told to "leave it" and praised when she ignored him after being told that (which generally didn't last long until she realized he wasn't going to have a thing to do with her until she stopped yapping). He's not a certified therapy dog, because there wasn't anywhere nearby to certify him nine years ago, and at this point, the people at the nursing home have spoiled him so that he'd never pass the tests. Besides, working full time, I don't have time to take him more than one place on a regular basis anyway.

There's a funny youtube video from Italy of a Neapolitan mastiff snoring away while his owner pleads with him to wake up and look at the camera (I don't speak Italian, but it's pretty clear what's going on). The dog finally opens one eye, rolls it up briefly at his ecstatic owner, and then rolls it right back shut.

Neapolitans are so cute and wrinkly! Mine is an English Mastiff, and she can snore, let me tell you. She is great with other dogs and people. She does bark when people come to the door and I don't discourage it. I have seen more than one solicitor turn around mid way up my driveway.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4054860;
    Neapolitans are so cute and wrinkly! Mine is an English Mastiff, and she can snore, let me tell you. She is great with other dogs and people. She does bark when people come to the door and I don't discourage it. I have seen more than one solicitor turn around mid way up my driveway.

Actually, my friend's Neo wasn't all that wrinkly, which is why she was a rescue. The people who had her originally wanted to breed her, but she didn't breed to type. I'll spare you the details of what happened to the puppies. When she got her dog, the dog was about three or so, had never lived anywhere but in a kennel, wasn't housebroken, didn't know how to walk on a leash, and basically wasn't socialized much at all. Despite all that, she turned out to be a wonderful therapy dog, mostly because she seemed to need to make up for all that lack of attention earlier in her life by sucking up all the attention she could get once she had a decent home. It broke me up when people were afraid of her, because not only was she a gentle giant, but her normal pace was akin to that of glacial drift. You could have gotten away from her at a slow stroll. The local Renaissance Fair folks invited my friend and her dog to be part of the festivities, because Neapolitans would be appropriate to the times, and there the dog sat in her fake rubber-spiked leather collar, falling asleep and sliding down into the grass while the breed was described as war dogs (which they were--but this Neapolitan just wasn't having it). I once saw her nearly roll off a stage into an orchestra pit, because she fell asleep in the middle of a therapy dog presentation. My dog, on the other hand, all but danced across that same stage, when he realized a whole lot of people were watching. He loves an audience, whether it's one person or a hundred.

When I was told the Neapolitan died in her sleep, I said, "Well, at least she died doing what she loved most." Even her owner had to laugh at that, because it was so true.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This cat person melted over this one!

Swimming piglet. [VIDEO]
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4057472;
    This cat person melted over this one!

Swimming piglet. [VIDEO]
    Me too...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

So adorable.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Love the background music. Purr-fect!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Yet another dog story: he has a two page, full color spread in the new college yearbook. The ridiculous excuse for this is that the theme for the yearbook was "At home," and pets make you feel at home. The real reason is that the yearbook editors just wanted to use some of the photos the very talented art/chemistry major had taken of him, and they had to justify it somehow.

The spread includes an "interview" with the dog, which is partially my fault (perhaps entirely), because the editors sent me pre-interview questions to answer, and I answered them for myself and the dog. They told me they liked the dog's answers better, which, I guess, should offend me, except that I wrote them too. The dog also writes the Christmas letter. Last year, I had to send out 80 cards and letters, because I've gotten more Christmas cards since I've started having the dog write the letters, specifically because people are sending cards with blatant requests for the dog photo/letter. Well, because of that and because he has so many friends at the nursing home where he visits and at the college.

Ok. Here's a question for all the dog owners.

I grew up with dogs, but have had cats for the past several years.
    A friend was telling me her dog was having problems with blood in her stool lately. She was about to go to vet and, since vet wouldn't allow her to put bill on a payment plan, she opted not to.
    Suddenly dog perked up and the stool was fine.
    I told her that when my cat had that problem, we had to take him in to express the glands. She said, "oh, I've been taking her in 1x a month to have her expressed. You have to do that with ALL dogs." The dog is about 9 or 10 and is a rescue dog. It's a small dog that's of mixed breed.
    I had more than 8 dogs when I was younger and we never had to do that.
    And, none of the dog owners I've known have had to do it, either.
    Anyone have experience with this?

TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread